PDA

View Full Version : What Plugins Are Absolutely Necessary To Have?

Schwyhart
04-13-2016, 08:24 PM
It seems as though the base package of Lightwave isn't up to snuff without plugins.
So, what plugins, mainly free ones, are must haves?

prometheus
04-13-2016, 08:28 PM
All the dpont plugins.

But so much depends on what is necessary for you to haved? ..some stuff could be lesser necessary for others.
So a backround story on what you are focusing on in lightwave might help folks guide to necessary tools aimed at that, instead of just a general mish mash, and it will become a long list.

Snosrap
04-13-2016, 09:16 PM
None. :) Depends on what you do actually. For me LWCad is THE one to have. And of course you might just as well pick up all the free ones just to play with and see what floats your boat.

Schwyhart
04-13-2016, 09:24 PM
I mainly do architecture. So, it'd be nice to get LWCAD if I could afford it.
I was just curious what plugins are great to have for everyday functions.

Schwyhart
04-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Oh...I though it was like $700+ for LWCAD. ~$350 isn't so bad. Especially for what it can do.
I'll wait until its on sale though.

Snosrap
04-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Oh...I though it was like $700+ for LWCAD. ~$350 isn't so bad. Especially for what it can do.
I'll wait until its on sale though.

Yeah, it's worth every penny. By day I'm a furniture designer and LWCad kicks butt in developing new furniture concepts. Everybody thinks its just for architecture, but it can be used in almost every type of modeling task. We need to make all kinds of props for our renderings and LWCad greatly enhances that type of work too.

djwaterman
04-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Here's what's in my 3rd party plugin folder at the moment. I highlighted some of the free ones that I wouldn't be without, the main one for me is the DP lights, and Sunsky is something I use a lot as well.

133423[

erikals
04-14-2016, 12:42 AM
i listed some in the Modeler / Layout Fixes-Updates thread...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139159-Modeler-Fixes-Updates

also see my Youtube channel for hundreds of plugins
https://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst

kopperdrake
04-14-2016, 03:01 AM
LWCAD LWCAD LWCAD LWCAD...and it's not just for CAD!

Danner
04-14-2016, 04:27 AM
PLG suite of UV tools are a must for me.

Niko3D
04-14-2016, 05:21 AM
If you work on ArchViz SunSky by Dpont is essential!!!!!!!!!!But also alla dpont plugins...
For me is essential also...ePick Surface.

MichaelT
04-14-2016, 07:20 AM
I looked at LWCAD but nothing on their site suggest that the tool is good.. for anything at all really. I'm not suggesting or saying that it isn't. But their page is really devoid of useful information, and seems to rely upon word of mouth only (No trials either, as far as I could see) Why should I even look at that tool? What is it good for? Or what does it do well (or better) than the tools already available in LW? I am honestly curious since I don't have the tool. I heard about it, certainly here, so it is a genuine question.

Schwyhart
04-14-2016, 08:56 AM
@MichaelT
I used mARCH for MODO since it was first released a couple of years ago. Now it's been discontinued. Anyway, while that was a decent set of tools, it was nothing in comparison to LWCAD.
Another Lightwave user I know who lives in my city showed me LWCAD (He swears by Lightwave). I was blown away at how quickly and precise he could get things done.
mARCH was $99 on promotion, but regular price was around $130.
LWCAD is $329. It's more expensive, but from what I was shown, it could do a lot more. And when I say a lot more, I mean A LOT MORE!
LWCAD and LW's new pricing structure is what made me start the switch back to Lightwave. I was very disappointed mARCH was discontinued.

I know this doesn't exactly answer you question.

ernpchan
04-14-2016, 09:03 AM
I looked at LWCAD but nothing on their site suggest that the tool is good.. for anything at all really. I'm not suggesting or saying that it isn't. But their page is really devoid of useful information, and seems to rely upon word of mouth only (No trials either, as far as I could see) Why should I even look at that tool? What is it good for? Or what does it do well (or better) than the tools already available in LW? I am honestly curious since I don't have the tool. I heard about it, certainly here, so it is a genuine question.

Do a search for LWCAD on YouTube. Viktor's videos do a better job at showing what the plugin does.

ianr
04-14-2016, 09:44 AM
Okay, so LWCAD don't blow yer skirts up?

We now know that Modeler will not get much Luv in LW2016NeXt

So if U like to model, look at the individual 3RD Powers Plug-ins on

www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

Meta-Mesh impressed Zbrushers no less!

The Booleans are Ace. Smart & improves your modelling

flow.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL4KsNFV8RY

Proof in glowing terms.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147308-3rd-Powers-Boolean-Tool-Don-t-Think-I-could-BE-Any-Happier.

Any Help?

prometheus
04-14-2016, 10:32 AM

You are having a blind fold on your eyes if you get that impression, do a serious look at what it can do..try and find youtube vids, or get a demo, it will make operations so much easier to do...granted..if you have worked several years with lightwave and modeled all kinds off stuff, you may be able to do so as usual, so itīs not that lw cad provides end results that you canīt do in native lightwave...itīs just that it does things so much better, faster , more effective and with more exact control...all for making it faster and more exact and easier to work with.

realtime booleans, very advanced snapping..32d,3d library of patterns, path, objects...that can be applied on surfaces, roofs in a very exact manner which would be very tedious to do without it.
and now it also got nurbs surfaces to further expand on making product desing better.

if your into character animation and modeling, or landscape stuff..not so much...product or mechanics, buildings etc..go and get it...and you will still have the bonus of tools usefull for other stuff.

I do not own it..I have tried it, and will probably get it when I can.

But I will also say this, unless you sit in your studio and do contracted architecht work and the alikes, lw cad isnīt generally a necessary plugin to have in my opinion..but it is also a dependent on each ones individual preferences of course.

One can still create houses with molding, archs, windows doors, decorations etc..without lw cad, though lw cad will make it easier.

hrgiger
04-14-2016, 10:55 AM

where do I begin?

Well for one snapping. But you say, LW has snapping doesn't it? LW snapping is about as useful as a human ear grown onto the back of a mouse. Every tool in LWCAD makes use of its snapping engine and it offers ability to snap to different elements of geometry, snap to projected points in space, intersections, snap to scale or rotation or length... if you do any precision or hard surface modeling, then snapping is essential.

Real time Booleans. You can do subtraction, intersections or unions of meshes interactively. Either with 2D curves or 3D primitives or library shape items.

Preset system. Library of 1D, 2D, and 3D elements and objects which can be used either as a mesh storage or profiles saved to use for mesh or curve bevel operations. Also for use as input for certain tools in LWCAD such as the door or window tool or different fence/post objects for the fence tool. You can also create your own custom shapes to any of the libraries.

Live precision tools. gizmos like length, angle or volume which update even after you've placed them in your scene.

UCS workplane allows for geometry creation or movement along a defined plane.

Various cloning tools such as array, vector, spray, rail, radial and mirror tool which all work interactively.

Smart edit tools like offset, extrude, round which work on polygons and nurbs surfaces or curves. Profiler is one of the most popular tools in LWCAD allowing you to extrude a library shape from a curve and giving you control for scale or rotation along the curve.

Another popular tool is engraver which allows you to bevel strips of quad polygons only with a bevel profile from shape library.

archviz tools like walls, roads, floors/ceilings, roofs, stairs(including spiral, line, rectangle and arc)... Shingles tool will shingle a roof including caps on borders with a single click.

LWCAD instances allow you to place doors, windows, or elements on a model and go back and change them at any time during the modeling process by simply choosing another from the library.

There are numerous tools in LWCAD that I haven't addressed but its a suite of over a hundred tools. As was mentioned previously, its not just for archviz work, I find use for it in most any of the modeling I do in Modeler.

I made this video a few years ago so its a bit outdated and doesn't reflect some of the newer features but its a basic overview of LWCAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-MYQyNgO8

djwaterman
04-14-2016, 12:04 PM

You are genuinely correct here, the website is a poor representation of the tool, just going by the website it's hard to get excited, it just need a cool video, even something along the lines of the one HRGiger posted. I found his silent video more exciting than anything on the site. One day I hope to get to know this plugin, is it a steep learning curve or is it just like a bunch of Kick *** tools that work as you'd expect? And can you create your own presets for the libraries?

prometheus
04-14-2016, 12:16 PM
You are genuinely correct here, the website is a poor representation of the tool, just going by the website it's hard to get excited, it just need a cool video, even something along the lines of the one HRGiger posted. I found his silent video more exciting than anything on the site. One day I hope to get to know this plugin, is it a steep learning curve or is it just like a bunch of Kick *** tools that work as you'd expect? And can you create your own presets for the libraries?

check the older manuals..

Yes you can add any ..at least most shapes you create and save to 1D or 2d or a 3d library..

http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/assets/video/addto1dlib/addto1dlib.htm

http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/assets/video/addtolib2d/addtolib2d.htm

http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/assets/video/addto3dlib/addto3dlib.htm

Be sure to check the older manuals, and check them All ..so scroll all the way down the description starts with an icon of a figure with a speaker, which tells you it is a flash video to showcase it, so click on those and you can see a lot of tools in action...at least those with speakers has voice, the other tools is just a comment bubble icon to showcase its just a vid.

http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/

Schwyhart
04-14-2016, 01:07 PM
where do I begin?

LW snapping is about as useful as a human ear grown onto the back of a mouse.

Never heard that one before...

prometheus
04-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
where do I begin?

LW snapping is about as useful as a human ear grown onto the back of a mouse.

I would say that is his perception for what He could use it for, doesnīt fit in my uses...try use snap without a snap grid and see how that goes.
He might have a certain point though, for the mouse the ear could be very useful to notice danger or other stuff.

hrgiger
04-14-2016, 01:37 PM

I wasn't making it up

MichaelT
04-14-2016, 03:24 PM
@hrgiger: They really need to put a vid like that one their page. This is precisely what I was looking for. Many great things there, even though the vid is old. Thanks for that.

Now, I can easily afford the tool, this is not the issue. So I will think though this, because I don't like dragging around a library of plugins, I will never use.
I am only interested in having tools that really do a difference, and given what I just saw. It certainly does.

As a potential customer, I should never have to 'google' what an item can or cannot do. If a seller is interested in selling, they should make a selling point. Which is what that
vid just did. Communication is key to any business! You don't have to be technically better, you have to talk & listen better. Those always make more money, than the ones who don't.
History is full of great ideas, wasted because of poor marketing.

I only hope they don't have a silly policy like a key per machine though. Because I always use two, laptop & desktop.

tommyc
04-14-2016, 03:43 PM
I only hope they don't have a silly policy like a key per machine though. Because I always use two, laptop & desktop.

Its tied to your LW License ID

MichaelT
04-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Its tied to your LW License ID

Great to hear :)

prometheus
04-14-2016, 04:15 PM
@hrgiger: They really need to put a vid like that one their page. This is precisely what I was looking for. Many great things there, even though the vid is old. Thanks for that.

Now, I can easily afford the tool, this is not the issue. So I will think though this, because I don't like dragging around a library of plugins, I will never use.
I am only interested in having tools that really do a difference, and given what I just saw. It certainly does.

As a potential customer, I should never have to 'google' what an item can or cannot do. If a seller is interested in selling, they should make a selling point. Which is what that
vid just did. Communication is key to any business! You don't have to be technically better, you have to talk & listen better. Those always make more money, than the ones who don't.

I understand you..but you can also look at it this way, is it really about the seller or what you are missing out on? fine..he may present it bad marketing wise,fine you may not like to look up things if itīs not presented well on the site..so there you go, you do not buy in to it..or look in to it..instead you just drop it.

Then somehow later you come to the conclusion..it would have saved you hours of time or the fact you find out that simply love it(without going in to how you find that out eventually)
It is you who in the end that looses for your self, of course the seller too, but thatīs quite irrelevant for your needs.
Itīs one thing to put forward complaints on how third parties market their stuff..and can be so justified too, but one advice is that you could be biting your own tail out of stubborn recentment, perfectly fine to be like that...but if the tool is great..there you go with a loss.

Just noticed you saw the vids..might have helped a bit? and I do agree with you that itīs important how it is presented, unfortunatly itīs not always perfect is it, and the question is how much energy and time you are willing to go through to find out if the stuff fits your needs.

hrgiger
04-14-2016, 04:28 PM

I use a bare minimum of plugins. I think right now including LWCAD, I have 3 plugins installed. LWCAD, a tool chefs lattice deformer for modeler and a simplify mesh plugin from PLG. LWCAD for myself anyway is pretty much essential to Modeler and if it were not for LWCAD, I would probably not use modeler a great deal given that LW3DG has not put a lot of work into modeling for quite some time now. I do hope this changes as they move towards implementing modeling tools in Layout. The other good thing to know about LWCAD is that the developer (Viktor Velicko) is actively developing LWCAD so it will continue to improve with probably another free update in the coming months.

kopperdrake
04-14-2016, 04:29 PM
It's hard to bring up a reason to use LWCAD because there are so many reasons. I pretty much no longer use Modeler's transform, translate and create tools, as LWCAD's versions offer so much more accuracy and variability. I first used just the basic tools, but one project I had to knock out a barn conversion quickly, and forced myself to use the arch viz part of the software and was blown away by how quickly I could create walls, tiles, windows, doors etc. If I have a new door design I can add it to the library and reuse it, but I can resize it with user-defined parts (handles etc) keeping their size - where I place to door is automatically booleaned to receive it. But the tool for doing this isn't limited to doors, you can use it to place anything you like into an object, varying its size as you do so. LWCAD is the sort of tool that opens many doors (pun intended). I would say it speeds my modelling up by 200% - so I model twice as fast. This is hard modelling, rather than organic character modelling though - but I've been doing it for 22 years in LW and this plugin is bloody brilliant.

prometheus
04-14-2016, 05:50 PM
I have quite a lof ot pictrix tools which I find handy, especially px bezier, I recall someone recently wanted to do mold railing around a floor in a room, so suggestions were to lw cad..which of course makes it easy as a cake, but it was also suggested to try px bezier..which is free, and it seems to have worked pleasing enough.

When I worked on doing gym machine renders, that tool also came in handy for creating welding seems, you can do it without any plugin too..but pictrix way of using the tube, and snapping and editing moving of multiselected handles made it nice to work with.
pictrix unigon and sp_move is also handy...all free.

Carl merrits different cm polydivide, polyfansubdivide etc..is also something used a lot to split ngons.

another tool I think is almost a must for me, artspheres bezier bridge, there is no other way of bezier bridging than that tool.

Snosrap
04-14-2016, 09:42 PM
And can you create your own presets for the libraries?

That is a resounding - YES! We have created thousands. You can pick them by name or browse by the icons of the shapes. Super awesome. I design furniture with LWCad and do a whole lot more. Go to http://www.sauder.com every piece of furniture on the site was designed with Lightwave and LWCad.

Snosrap
04-14-2016, 09:58 PM

The guy is a one man band working out of his garage. There is no marketing department. He's a coder first and foremost and probably just making a honest living doing what he does best - code, he's doing the best he can on the marketing side. For the potential size of the market that he is targeting he probably can't afford to do much else. (He did recently add another coder to his staff to do 3DStudio Max version.) Give Viktor your money, you won't be disappointed.

prometheus
04-14-2016, 10:57 PM
That is a resounding - YES! We have created thousands. You can pick them by name or browse by the icons of the shapes. Super awesome. I design furniture with LWCad and do a whole lot more. Go to http://www.sauder.com every piece of furniture on the site was designed with Lightwave and LWCad.

Thereīs a problem with presets, itīs not your own design:D talk about looking at the glass as half empty.

I am curious...how do they do the woodwork from your designs? if it isnīt a trade secret? just by using the 3d design as a guideline.. then manually doing the handywork? or does it in fact go through some CNC system for laying out templates?

Kryslin
04-15-2016, 01:14 AM
From what I've seen of Sauder's products - I have a few of them - it's CNC cut material (if it's 'wood' - mine is all finished MDF). So it is quite possible they take the LWO and use that to generate the tool paths for the CNC. What I'm familiar with is build it yourself, so they lay the pieces out, send it to the CNC mill, which cuts, drills and routs the pieces.

It's funny, I use Lightwave and LWCad to design my -own- furniture (I'm an amateur woodworker). That way, I can find areas that are going to be a problem for my limited (but growing) skills, and figure out how to do it, without burning through some expensive hardwoods and tooling (like router bits).

Like most here, I've got LWCad, DPont's group of plugins, 3rd Powers plugins, RHiggit 2 Pro, Liberty 3D's Quad Panels, True Art's node pack, DB&W's node pack...
...and a whole lot of little tools I've coded myself in lScript.

JonW
04-15-2016, 06:32 AM
LWCad!

MichaelT
04-15-2016, 06:41 AM
The guy is a one man band working out of his garage. There is no marketing department. He's a coder first and foremost and probably just making a honest living doing what he does best - code, he's doing the best he can on the marketing side. For the potential size of the market that he is targeting he probably can't afford to do much else. (He did recently add another coder to his staff to do 3DStudio Max version.) Give Viktor your money, you won't be disappointed.

:) It seems I came off in the wrong way. Well ok, I had no idea he is a one man show.. so that is impressive and good. Still, since he is a one man show it is actually even more important to show what the tool can do, because he relies (I assume) on the income. Even if he put up that older video to the main page, I think it could help him. Anyway.. I am already sold to the plugin.. so I will get it.

lightscape
04-15-2016, 07:00 AM
lwcad, rhiggit
Without these two I would have abandoned lightwave a long time ago.

Snosrap
04-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Thereīs a problem with presets, itīs not your own design:D talk about looking at the glass as half empty.

I am curious...how do they do the woodwork from your designs? if it isnīt a trade secret? just by using the 3d design as a guideline.. then manually doing the handywork? or does it in fact go through some CNC system for laying out templates?

The preset system is probably the best part of LWCad for our work. The sample of presets I showed were of course preexisting from DXF's that load into LWCad via it's DXF importer. What I didn't show was the hundreds of prototype preset profiles that we create using the LWCad tools. Also as presets we have a complete library of assemblies, for instance, drawers and doors. The cool thing about those is that when you create them you can lock certain parameters so that for example when you size or scale up/down a drawer assembly the part that changes is the drawer box size - not the drawer hardware, drawer wall thickness etc., all those remain at their given sizes. It's truly an ingenious preset system. Our company uses an array of machines to create the various components that make up our "kits". CNC, Combi-formers, edge banders shapers, etc.. Lightwave is used in the design phase of product development whereas Autodesk Inventor is used for actual engineering of the assembly and the various components that make up the assembly - aka - "kit."

prometheus
04-15-2016, 10:53 AM
The preset system is probably the best part of LWCad for our work. The sample of presets I showed were of course preexisting from DXF's that load into LWCad via it's DXF importer. What I didn't show was the hundreds of prototype preset profiles that we create using the LWCad tools. Also as presets we have a complete library of assemblies, for instance, drawers and doors. The cool thing about those is that when you create them you can lock certain parameters so that for example when you size or scale up/down a drawer assembly the part that changes is the drawer box size - not the drawer hardware, drawer wall thickness etc., all those remain at their given sizes. It's truly an ingenious preset system. Our company uses an array of machines to create the various components that make up our "kits". CNC, Combi-formers, edge banders shapers, etc.. Lightwave is used in the design phase of product development whereas Autodesk Inventor is used for actual engineering of the assembly and the various components that make up the assembly - aka - "kit."

I agree...my comments earlier on presets..were just silly pud :)
lwCad and presets are ingenious.agreed, I have tested it ..but I do not have it myself ..Yet, the nurbs is also of special interest, so I will keep an eye on it..have said that for ages now it seems, but things get in the way, and in fact I think 3rd powers tools are
in more priority before investing in lw cad..but itīs on the list.

Thanks for the description on the general workflow of the wood carpentery design, interesting indeed, though I was a bit surprised the engineering phase do not make use of the lightwave templates...but Instead Inventor, nothing wrong with Inventor..just thought if the process of the design is made..why it isnīt adapted from there, but maybe it is?..if the lw teamplates are sent to Inventor in actual 3d object format for remake...or if You and lightwave just presents it graphicly with renders and prints ..then they start building from those templates? you donīt have to describe it all though if it takes to long to describe or if itīs trade secrets...Itīs just that which confuses me.

Just checked your site..lovely ornaments in modo there, not sure if you use illustrator as well to extract ornaments? I Have spun out of topic now..so it goes:)

Schwyhart
04-15-2016, 12:39 PM
:) It seems I came off in the wrong way. Well ok, I had no idea he is a one man show.. so that is impressive and good. Still, since he is a one man show it is actually even more important to show what the tool can do, because he relies (I assume) on the income. Even if he put up that older video to the main page, I think it could help him. Anyway.. I am already sold to the plugin.. so I will get it.

Offer to make him a slick video and other marketing materials in exchange for a license of LWCAD.
I'd do it, but I've never use LWCAD. Someone else would have to show how it works.

Snosrap
04-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the description on the general workflow of the wood carpentery design, interesting indeed, though I was a bit surprised the engineering phase do not make use of the lightwave templates...but Instead Inventor, nothing wrong with Inventor..just thought if the process of the design is made..why it isnīt adapted from there, but maybe it is?..if the lw teamplates are sent to Inventor in actual 3d object format for remake...or if You and lightwave just presents it graphicly with renders and prints ..then they start building from those templates? you donīt have to describe it all though if it takes to long to describe or if itīs trade secrets...Itīs just that which confuses me.

As you know LW is polygonal based whereas Inventor is solids therefore LW is not well suited for engineering when you need to go CNC machines or just create a drawing for the shop floor. What LW does excel at is fast iterative design! LW allows us to work out a lot of issues in 3D that we just can't conceive from a 2D hand drawn sketch. So the basic product development workflow is - concept sketches, refinement in LW with the added bonus of a render, and engineer for manufacturing with Inventor. We do use Modo with their Power Translators and SubD - Nurbs plugins to translate some data to Inventor and vise versa, but for the most part engineering doesn't use the LW data as it comes into Inventor as "dumb" data. So to get this back on track I guess we use Modo as an absolutely necessary plug-in for LW. :)

Just checked your site..lovely ornaments in modo there, not sure if you use illustrator as well to extract ornaments? I Have spun out of topic now..so it goes:)

Funnily enough those models were all built in LW but I loaded them in Modo for the screenshots because I thought the interface made for a nicer looking website image. I do think LW interface is nice - see here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?150503-Your-opinion-Is-LW-s-interface-pretty but Modo's is cool too. Again Modo as a plug-in for LW. :) (Actually that's really what it became for me for UV mapping, but now I hardly open it with the advent ABF unwrapping in LW.)

spherical
04-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Still, since he is a one man show it is actually even more important to show what the tool can do, because he relies (I assume) on the income. Even if he put up that older video to the main page, I think it could help him.

Hmmm... I don't find anything lacking in that regard. Viktor has and continues to produce videos showing what his plugins do, in great detail, and there's a lot of them. I haven't even watched all of them, yet, and I need to; especially the ones on v5. The rolling screen shots of models done with it are sufficiently impressive as an initial marketing approach, IMO. But, that's me.

spherical
04-15-2016, 05:12 PM
As you know LW is polygonal based whereas Inventor is solids therefore LW is not well suited for engineering when you need to go CNC machines or just create a drawing for the shop floor.

We have a few versions of AutoCAD and others, but have had no problems going from LightWave to our CNC mill or the 3D printer. The former path runs through Blender to generate the required tool paths/chains and the latter goes direct to the slicer. If drawings are needed, we generally take a direct approach and render orthos, dimensioning in Photoshop, unless the project is sufficiently complex to warrant firing up a CAD application. In our case, the cost of the Power Translators plugin to Modo was sufficiently high that we have yet to go that route. No doubt, this will make getting our LightWave models into CAD less time and effort consuming. Perhaps one day... Until then, there's FreeCAD which does a respectable job of translating to/from CAD formats.

Snosrap
04-15-2016, 06:04 PM
We have a few versions of AutoCAD and others, but have had no problems going from LightWave to our CNC mill or the 3D printer. The former path runs through Blender to generate the required tool paths/chains and the latter goes direct to the slicer. If drawings are needed, we generally take a direct approach and render orthos, dimensioning in Photoshop, unless the project is sufficiently complex to warrant firing up a CAD application. In our case, the cost of the Power Translators plugin to Modo was sufficiently high that we have yet to go that route. No doubt, this will make getting our LightWave models into CAD less time and effort consuming. Perhaps one day... Until then, there's FreeCAD which does a respectable job of translating to/from CAD formats.

We go to our 3D printer with LW all the time. I know LW can do some of those things you mentioned, but in big business it just won't cut it. :)

spherical
04-16-2016, 02:05 AM
Well now, aren't we lofty.

bobakabob
04-16-2016, 04:54 AM
For organic and character modelling I'd also heartily recommend 3rd Powers incredible LW brush and modelling plugins such as Metamesh. For hard surface modelling their interactive Boolean tools are essential. Just watch the promo vid and be amazed.

For character animation RHiggit is very powerful and also the 3rd Powers Lattice and Cage tools can come in very useful for extra control deforming meshes.

LWCad of course is highly regarded. I have recently leaped from version 1 to 5 (!) so still getting to grips with the new nurbs modelling features which like 3rd Powers add an extra dimension to Modeler.

A plugin I've found essential for environmental creation and graphics is Hurleyworks Advanced Placement which gives you finely tuned control creating instances objects which can be converted to mesh if necessary.

vipvip242
04-16-2016, 05:19 AM
A plugin I've found essential for environmental creation and graphics is Huleyworks Advanced Placement which gives you finely tuned control creating instances objects which can be converted to mesh if necessary.

i agree, advanced placement is very intuitive and artist friendly, once you've practiced and understood the logic

Spinland
04-16-2016, 07:15 AM
I'll jump on this bandwagon.

For my technical stuff, LWCAD is Da Bomb and it paid for itself in less than a day. I simply cannot see myself doing the archviz and mechanical viz stuff I do without it.

I'm doing more and more character stuff these days, and there are some related plugin sets I would not want to be without:

- Rhiggit. I learned rigging in Maya and picked up LW's methods quickly enough, but I hate setting up controllers and limits. Genoma excited me, but to be honest Craig's approach where I can do everything in Layout is much more powerful for how I perceive the process and I prefer the way his controllers are set up out of the box.

- 3rd Powers (all of their stuff). LW Brush isn't quite powerful enough to replace ZBrush for sculpting, but it's damned close and makes creating morphs tons easier than going back and forth. Cage Deformer is simply THE tool for corrective morphing during animation. The other stuff is cool, and I've used all of it at some point or another, so IMNSDHO getting the whole bundle (ask them for a discount) is worth it. Again, paid for itself in the first gig.

- Syflex. Bullet annoys me, and the combo of Syflex and Cage Deformer (see RR's excellent tutorial series available at Liberty3D) for great dynamic secondary motion is unbeatable in my personal experience.

- TA Tools. Amadhi is a genius, and the day Liberty3D was empowered to make these gems again commercially available was a happy one for me. So much time saving goodness in that package. Splitting mirrored morphs and re-symmetry alone are worth their weight in gold, as being able to scale and rotate morphs after the fact.

- StretchSnapKeys. A freebie, and one I rely on often. Dynamically shift whole blocks of keyframes around and/or rescale their time slot. Works like magic. Again, check in with RR for a celebrity endorsement. https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/stretch-snap-keys/

There might be more fun stuff I use but those come to mind immediately hence are probably what I'd endorse as the most valuable.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 09:26 AM
We go to our 3D printer with LW all the time. I know LW can do some of those things you mentioned, but in big business it just won't cut it. :)

Well now, aren't we lofty.

Woodwork and glasswork donīt mix well together do they? :)

Really fun to see you two craftsmen here and get some insight ...Im not in any of those businesses, but I love to see fine craft like this

bazsa73
04-16-2016, 10:42 AM
For motion graphics like things DPkit was mentioned but I would also add SG Fertilizer 2 which lets you grow things. Comes handy often.

Snosrap
04-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Well now, aren't we lofty. No- just stating a fact. Large manufacturing companies are not going to use rinky dinky LW to manufacture products.

bobakabob
04-16-2016, 12:08 PM
I'll jump on this bandwagon.

- TA Tools. Amadhi is a genius, and the day Liberty3D was empowered to make these gems again commercially available was a happy one for me. So much time saving goodness in that package. Splitting mirrored morphs and re-symmetry alone are worth their weight in gold, as being able to scale and rotate morphs after the fact.

- StretchSnapKeys. A freebie, and one I rely on often. Dynamically shift whole blocks of keyframes around and/or rescale their time slot. Works like magic. Again, check in with RR for a celebrity endorsement. https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/stretch-snap-keys/

Spinland, Thanks for the heads up about TA tools... Quite a bundle there. They look very useful though do they still work in LW2015?

Rescaling keys is perfectly possible in LW but Stretchsnapkeys I presume is more flexible? Thanks again for the info.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 12:16 PM
No- just stating a fact. Large manufacturing companies are not going to use rinky dinky LW to manufacture products.

Not many smaller ones either, often you need to supply other chains in the productions with proper drawings, so choose lightwave to put out those with a sheet of info and all dimensions etc..that isnīt ideal.
and make exact holes matching pins etc...other way around works better, as we did for gym machines, construct in solidworks send the drawings and other prt files for creating the tools with cnc, or for the team doing welding...send it
to a 3d artist and let him render all the bolts and nuts :) which I did with lightwave.

spherical
04-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Woodwork and glasswork donīt mix well together do they?

Sure they do.

133455 133456 133457 133462 133458 133459 133460 133461

Glass cast in our hot shop. Fonts modeled in LightWave and hand crafted in our wood shop. Ortho views are used to ensure that the fonts are sized and assembled according to the design. The CNC mill is employed to form detail carvings. Couldn't be a more perfect match.

http://glasssculpture.org/artglass/bowls/baptism-basin-font.html

prometheus
04-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Sure they do.

133455 133456 133457 133462 133458 133459 133460 133461

Glass cast in our hot shop. Fonts modeled in LightWave and hand crafted in our wood shop. Ortho views are used to ensure that the fonts are sized and assembled according to the design. The CNC mill is employed to form detail carvings. Couldn't be a more perfect match.

http://glasssculpture.org/artglass/bowls/baptism-basin-font.html

Ofcourse, comment from me to provoke a showcase, and it worked:D

spherical
04-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Thank you! :) Friends gotta stick together.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Thank you! :) Friends gotta stick together.

by the way, since you do some cool glassworks..twisted things etc, not sure if you tried some of the stuff I showcased with blender and lightwave and the skin modifier?..just a tip, it might open up for some really cool structures, but then again it might not suit you to even install blender and get comfortable with the UI, and you might be just fine with all the tools you already got in lightwave...Itīs just that it opens up for changes at any time with a modifier stack and the ability to edit the skeleton structure only, manually by point, edge, or use the subdiv surface on it to smooth the edges out..so even if the edges created were to few and not smooth, you can adjust in blender back and forth.
For lightwave... artsphere updated his edge divide which can add segments on seperate edges, which is great... cudos to him, though smoothing has to be done with the realtime smoother for interactive feedback.

Itīs a good plugin :)
I created a playlist with only those vids showcasing lightwave-blender..so you donīt have to go through all vids, and thereīs a few additional ones just using edges and metaedges/balls, but havenīt touched that much since I got to understand the blender.
skin modifier.

For what itīs worth...
Playlist Lightwave edges-blender skin modifier
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdaQ-nxd0g2dM40IQ-J3c1Or4Cm6i1t8F

Spinland
04-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Spinland, Thanks for the heads up about TA tools... Quite a bundle there. They look very useful though do they still work in LW2015?

Absolutely. I'm running 2015.3 on mainly Macs though I have one Windows 10 machine and they work splendidly for me.

Rescaling keys is perfectly possible in LW but Stretchsnapkeys I presume is more flexible? Thanks again for the info.

Yes, it makes the operation almost brainless and it's simple to use yet enormously flexible. For me the key is speed and ease of performing tasks and SSK lives up to both. Can't beat the price, either. :D

spherical
04-16-2016, 05:52 PM
by the way, since you do some cool glassworks..twisted things etc, not sure if you tried some of the stuff I showcased with blender and lightwave and the skin modifier?..just a tip, it might open up for some really cool structures, but then again it might not suit you to even install blender and get comfortable with the UI,

We have a number of installs of Blender. One for general use and a couple that are dedicated to the CAM operations. I just keep the CAM versions completely separate from each other, so as to not introduce odd/bad interactions when a new version of the CAM plugin is released. It has been the main reason for my learning the "Blender Way". "Lost" barely scratches the surface, but I'm getting there. Your interchange vids will likely help greatly.

artsphere updated his edge divide which can add segments on seperate edges, which is great... cudos to him, though smoothing has to be done with the realtime smoother for interactive feedback.

Itīs a good plugin :)

Thanks for the heads-up. Gotta go get the latest. Just went through a lot of that and it would have come in handy. Problem is, there are so many great and even indispensable plugins that I need a searchable database to remind myself what I have, what it's called and what it does. A lot of them get installed and then become out of sight, out of mind. Then I read a thread where someone's issue has been solved by a plugin, decide that it would be good to have on hand and see that the link has already been followed. 0_o

I created a playlist with only those vids showcasing lightwave-blender..so you donīt have to go through all vids,

I've got to carve out some time ti watch more of them. I'll post in the Radial Reflection thread about it, but I wish there were a vid on how you created the texture using Denis' Spiral. I thought it would be falling off a log but not. Thanks for your great work.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 05:57 PM
, but I wish there were a vid on how you created the texture using Denis' Spiral. I thought it would be falling off a log but not. Thanks for your great work.

I will get back on that, Now I gotta prepare for bedtime and late night series..and tomorrow I might be a little bit busy with helping my brother with his boat, but Iīll try and keep that in mind... and see if I can record that.

cheers.

Michael

erikals
04-17-2016, 09:05 AM
for CA... TAFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2z4kkXUsU

a 1600x1200 preview >

Spinland
04-17-2016, 09:22 AM
I totally agree that TAFA rocks and I love using it. I only left it off my list because I saw it as a standalone app and the OP asked for plugins.

erikals
04-17-2016, 09:31 AM
standalone, but "basically" a LightWave-Addon/Plugin as it supports

- LWO
- Endomorphs
- MDD

so decided to "cheat" and include it. http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Spinland
04-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Fair point. It's an excellent tool and well worth talking about. :D

allabulle
04-17-2016, 01:34 PM
I use and love most of the already cited plugins. I'd like to add to the list two sets of plugins that I find invaluable as a productivity boost: ODToolSet and RRtoolsPro from Oliver Hotz and Ryan Roye respectively.

Sites for them:
http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/index.php/software.html
http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/rr-tools/

hrgiger
04-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Well I found that with the lack of modeling developments by LW3DG now over the years, I find the plugins Modo and Zbrush very handy.

allabulle
04-17-2016, 04:45 PM
And 3DCoat and Blender, for that matter. Although probably out of scope here. Maybe not.

Schwyhart
04-17-2016, 10:10 PM
I own 3DCoat, but I can't figure it out. I was taught Zbrush in school and knew how to use it pretty good, but probably not now because it's been so long since I've used it.
Blender...well that'll never happen. My mind doesn't work that way.
I use MODO often and love it. Oddly enough, almost every 3D job where I live needs knowledge of Lightwave, so that's why I'm here. Plus, the hope of LWNEXT.
I wish I was more into character animation to use TAFA. I did it in school (using MAYA) and although I was fairly decent at it, it just wasn't my thing.

Schwyhart
04-17-2016, 10:18 PM
I'm a little worried that most plugins will be non-compatible with LW Next since it's basically a re-write. I wonder if LW3DG is letting these 3rd party developers see what's NEXT now, so that can release compatible version upon release or soon thereafter.

MichaelT
04-17-2016, 11:45 PM
Another reason why I keep the number of plugins I use limited. I got LWCAD now, and it really is as useful as you guys say it is. I found some situations where that tool breaks, but very impressive work in general. Beyond that I only use 3 more plugins. But the ones I would consider essential are MetaMesh, LWBrush and now LWCAD. But who knows about next version of LW?

jeric_synergy
04-18-2016, 12:31 AM
I own 3DCoat, but I can't figure it out.
Oh good: it's not just me. :cry:

erikals
04-18-2016, 12:41 AM
there's One plugin i use Absolutely all the time, a simple function, rounding corners, JetoFillet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3lwSIraIQs

i'll mention a second one, often used, RealTime Smooth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz_T2eQsoek

erikals
04-18-2016, 12:45 AM
I own 3DCoat, but I can't figure it out.

check out some video tutorials,
there's decent amount of them out there, many good free ones too.

https://www.google.no/#q=3DCoat&tbm=vid

hrgiger
04-18-2016, 02:59 AM
I own 3DCoat, but I can't figure it out. I was taught Zbrush in school and knew how to use it pretty good, but probably not now because it's been so long since I've used it.
Blender...well that'll never happen. My mind doesn't work that way.
I use MODO often and love it. Oddly enough, almost every 3D job where I live needs knowledge of Lightwave, so that's why I'm here. Plus, the hope of LWNEXT.

I use both zbrush and 3DCoat. I use 3Dcoat because it has better retopo and UV tools then Zbrush. But sculpting wise, everything else I prefer zbrush. You just need to figure out what you need to get out of 3D Coat and just learn that aspect of it. If you just saw a video on it, thought it looked cool and bought it, you'll probably never learn it. You don't need to learn the whole program at once, maybe you just want to use the UV tools or maybe the retopo tools. Maybe now with PBR coming to Lightwave, you might want to learn the texture painting in 3D Coat. Focus on a particular area and you'll pick up other things as you go along.

Blender on the other hand... I really don't like their mindset. Its like the designers set out to be different then everyone else. Lets make selection with right click instead of left. Lets give transform gizmos but we don't really want you to use those so we won't give you dual axis controls. Lets give you really unintuitive continuous grab functionality. Lets put a box in every default scene. Lets put a useless action cursor.... and a lot of these things you can change in options but why even do them in the first place? Its really put me off Blender not to mention the interface which could use a lot better defined workspaces.

Spinland
04-18-2016, 05:22 AM
I use both zbrush and 3DCoat.

Ditto. I bought 3D Coat basically as a UV mapping plugin for LW and only recently even considered looking at the other aspects of it. Once I started getting into sculpting in a serious way I quickly switched to ZBrush for that work. That being said, LWBrush has become a very useful related tool and for doing facial morphs once a model is done I'm finding it far more convenient than going back and forth with ZB.

Oh, and fully agree: 3DC's retopo tools are Da Bomb.

Norka
04-18-2016, 04:12 PM
3rdPowers rocks. I'm sure others have mentioned them in this thread. Since getting LWBrush, MetaMesh and HeastShrinkPlus, I barely need to open ZB lately... which is very nice, at the speed I like to work. I do love ZB, but damn.. it takes time to get re-acquainted with ZB, almost every time I need to bang something out.

bobakabob
04-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Although I'm an a Zbrush devotee I'm now thinking of investing in 3dcoat to compliment LW as it has Photoshop style layers for painting which ZBrush doesn't.

I'd love to be proved wrong about this... Also I gather in 3Dcoat you can paint onto an object without ramping up the poly count - is this the case? I'd be grateful for feedback.

Agree ZB is a tough nut to crack... I frequently forget procedures so have taken to keeping notes in a "little black book". Creeping old age doesn't help. LW is the most intuitive 3D app I've used, it's just second nature (even the workarounds!)

Ps Don't think the ZB / 3dcoat thing is OT - the two programs are closely integrated with LW.

Schwyhart
04-19-2016, 01:36 PM
I'd say if you want to only paint, then you should get Substance Painter. You'll be able to learn it faster.

erikals
04-19-2016, 01:59 PM
3DCoat is one of the best 3D Painters by reputation, worth a consideration.

MichaelT
04-20-2016, 06:00 AM
3DCoat is well worth the investment.

JohnMarchant
04-20-2016, 06:57 AM
1. LWCAD 5
2. DP Plugins (All of them)
3. 3D Powers
4. Advanced Placement
5. ToolChefs
6. PLG UV Plugins
7. Janus
8. Sunrise Studios Plugins
9. DBW Plugins
10. DLI Snub Launcher

Quite a few others but these i cant do without.

Outside of LW.

1. Substance Painter/Designer.
2. Quixel Suite 2
3. 3D Coat
4. Photoshop

ianr
04-20-2016, 07:08 AM
Schwyhart if you want Lightwave Character Animation in 2016 then,

TAFA was lovely,I used to go joysticking in it , but the Dev's never got to Rev2 as promised?

Therefore Craig's NEW RH.Facial Rig @ Rebel Hill is Up there & Now.

U wanna do facial then its the 'bizz', what with eye wrinkles & all,etc.

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhfr.html

p.s. John M's is a good solid List

BTW: What is your Forte in creating stuff U didn't Say?

JohnMarchant
04-21-2016, 03:14 AM
I would also add to my list.

Craig Monins (Rebel Hill) RHiggit 2
Ernest Chan ShiftKeys +
Oliver Hotz (Digital Origami) OD Tools
Mike Greens Plugins
DStorm Studios Plugins
PicTrix Plugins

bazsa73
04-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Blender on the other hand... I really don't like their mindset.
I slowly begin to like it but your points are valid. Maybe we are just getting rusty.