PDA

View Full Version : Radial Noise Texture

Chrusion
04-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Because this texture plugin is 32-bit ( http://www.andynicholas.com/?page_id=158 ) and thus doesn't load into 64-bit versions of LW, is there a way to create this texture via nodes? If so, how? If not, can someone create a 64-bit version of this plugin?

I'm not at all good at nodes, and failed quite well at attempting to create this with a gradient and a multi-ridged fractal noise as an input, because gradient node just doesn't have all the same inputs as the layer gradient does... distance to pivot point being the obvious choice to use, I would think.

Until then, I've resorted to creating a 2048 sq px image in PS to use as a Planar image map in the Bump channel. I created Filter > Noise > Add Noise > Monocrhrome @ 50%, then Filter > Blur > Radial Blur @ 50%, then Level corrected to increase contrast, and finally Filter > Blur > Blur twice to soften it up.

erikals
04-13-2016, 12:16 PM
yes, you can use the image trick,

pretty cool plugin though... i'd like to know too.

http://andynicholas.com/legacy/download/radialnoise/Brushedmetal.jpg

prometheus
04-13-2016, 12:28 PM
yeah..you might need a little noise in there, not sure if the spiral procedural would work, or the radial, you would need to set a lot of frequences 300 for example for the spiral, some blur in the procedural and pump up bump to 300 maybe.
it is not really radial, it has a spiral center..but with enough frequences it may look ok? no nodes, just standard layers, added a slight turbulence noise, difference mode 10% value on top of the spiral layer.

The procedural is from dpontīs plugin rman collection...spiral.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133410&d=1460572087

Chrusion
04-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Well, dang... that works rather well! Are the aniso reflections via node shader or by-product of the bump texture? I seen the Rman Spiral and didn't pay close enough attention to see that increasing freq. would twist the texture to the desired extreme. For my object, 2500 freq. was required at 2% amplitude and 3 for fuzzy edge.

Thanks, everyone.

prometheus
04-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Well, dang... that works rather well! Are the aniso reflections via node shader or by-product of the bump texture? I seen the Rman Spiral and didn't pay close enough attention to see that increasing freq. would twist the texture to the desired extreme. For my object, 2500 freq. was required at 2% amplitude and 3 for fuzzy edge.

Thanks, everyone.

no anisotrophic shader or node at all, just ordinary reflection, you could say just a bi-product of the bump, theres just a little reflection blur in the surface environment tab (2.5%) an hdr image light probe to light it and reflect it..didnīt bother about low and hi-rez versions for proper setup for reflection and light..which one might want to for speedy renders.
I excluded the hdr image from the scene by using a white backdrop color in image processing, radiosity on, one area light.
One important feature is the fuzzy edge in the spiral procedural texture, try 0- and up ..and check my setting.

Michael

Slartibartfast
04-13-2016, 02:56 PM
a node setup to play with (native LW):

erikals
04-13-2016, 03:49 PM
prrrty cool Landahl   http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

prometheus
04-13-2016, 04:06 PM
I just donīt have the patience to try and work out nodes like that for what is seemingly simple or should be..at least not for surfacing stuff, for displacement and partmove stuff..another story, good Landahl made it though, just bake it to some compound node ala xform node.
divide..multiply, add etc..etc...blah blah..:)

Chrusion
04-14-2016, 02:25 PM
a node setup to play with (native LW):

What input do you use for the Node Editor proc. texture in the Bump channel?

Inputs are limited to World Spot, Texture Spot, Size, Amplitude, Spot Size, and Axis. Using either World or Texture spot results in linear streaks (using X in Make Vector nodes instead of Y) with a sharp 90 deg direction change along a 45 deg angle on flat polys with normals facing +/- X.

prometheus
04-14-2016, 05:58 PM
What input do you use for the Node Editor proc. texture in the Bump channel?

Inputs are limited to World Spot, Texture Spot, Size, Amplitude, Spot Size, and Axis. Using either World or Texture spot results in linear streaks (using X in Make Vector nodes instead of Y) with a sharp 90 deg direction change along a 45 deg angle on flat polys with normals facing +/- X.

?? not sure if I misunderstand you here, why are you refering to node editor procedural? why not just enter the node editing for the surface, he didnīt use anything for bump either, it is plugged to the color channel ? object spot which he seem to have used is there in the node editor.

I think you entered the bump channel and added a procedural with node editor and tried that, and in such case..that is all you will get for the input options...so skip that and enter the full node editor by surface, not single channels.

Slartibartfast
04-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Yes, as Prometheus says, it's in the surface node editor. The easiest way to use it as a bumpmap (rather than color) would be to add dp-kit node "scalar bump" between the fractal noise and the bump output. Little more complicated to do with native nodes. Maybe i can try later.

MonroePoteet
04-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Here's my variation / enhancement of Slartibartfast's basic texture. I think the DP rman Spiral solution by prometheus looks better on the cylinder, but this one looks really good on the subpatched B, IMO. Some really interesting casting / annealing "artifacts" on the B.

Lots of stuff to play with in the node setup. Inverting the Turbulence or Multi-fractal gives some nice variations.

Thanks to Slartibartfast for the initial setup!

mTp

spherical
04-16-2016, 06:40 PM
The procedural is from dpontīs plugin rman collection...spiral.

no anisotrophic shader or node at all, just ordinary reflection, you could say just a bi-product of the bump, theres just a little reflection blur in the surface environment tab (2.5%)

This thread came along at just the right time, as I'm designing our new studio and have modeled the building in detail, including all of the framing, and ALL of the equipment in it to scale, in order to know beforehand how large they all are, where best to place them and to allow for efficient routing of water, power and other building components prior to breaking ground. Didn't realize just how much equipment we have until I got into this project. I wasn't happy with the brushed stainless texture on the small and large glass furnaces, so thought I'd take this opportunity to learn new stuff and improve the render. Problem is, scaling the example up to 51cm and 96cm cylinders didn't translate, for whatever reason. Deceptively difficult getting a pleasing result. Spent a few hours testing and still not really great. Good in some aspects, not in others. Here's the current result:

Frequency 50,000, width 0.001, fuzzy edge 1-10 (5 chosen here), scale 0.025".
Applied Fractal Noise layer above Spiral: texture value 50%, frequencies 5, contrast 0.5, small power 0.12, scale 10mil, opacity 5%.
Anything any larger on either of those got lumpy.
Overall bump 400%. Much less than that lost the brushed effect.

Not getting the BRDF on the end, as I expected would happen from the bump itself. Tried with the Surface Editor layers, as in your example, and also through Conductor node. Layers method looked better, but that is my expectation of how I think it should look, not a fault of the material. Thoughts?

prometheus
04-16-2016, 07:36 PM
This thread came along at just the right time, as I'm designing our new studio and have modeled the building in detail, including all of the framing, and ALL of the equipment in it to scale, in order to know beforehand how large they all are, where best to place them and to allow for efficient routing of water, power and other building components prior to breaking ground. Didn't realize just how much equipment we have until I got into this project. I wasn't happy with the brushed stainless texture on the small and large glass furnaces, so thought I'd take this opportunity to learn new stuff and improve the render. Problem is, scaling the example up to 51cm and 96cm cylinders didn't translate, for whatever reason. Deceptively difficult getting a pleasing result. Spent a few hours testing and still not really great. Good in some aspects, not in others. Here's the current result:

Frequency 50,000, width 0.001, fuzzy edge 1-10 (5 chosen here), scale 0.025".
Applied Fractal Noise layer above Spiral: texture value 50%, frequencies 5, contrast 0.5, small power 0.12, scale 10mil, opacity 5%.
Anything any larger on either of those got lumpy.
Overall bump 400%. Much less than that lost the brushed effect.

Not getting the BRDF on the end, as I expected would happen from the bump itself. Tried with the Surface Editor layers, as in your example, and also through Conductor node. Layers method looked better, but that is my expectation of how I think it should look, not a fault of the material. Thoughts?

Jumping in here a bit quick..with my overobsessive postings everywhere :)
you mentioned this on another thread, but now itīs really bedtime, but try different hdr image probes, might need to raise intensity a bit too on the Hdr Images..and it may also be dependent on what hdr image you actually use, if you donīt want to use that..not sure how it would look in other scene setups...will have to check later.

spherical
04-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Jumping in here a bit quick..with my overobsessive postings everywhere :)

What took you so long!?!?! I'm dyin' here... :D

try different hdr image probes, might need to raise intensity a bit too on the Hdr Images..and it may also be dependent on what hdr image you actually use, if you donīt want to use that..not sure how it would look in other scene setups...will have to check later.

HDR may work as a reflection map, but it is an interior, so needs to reflect that. There is an HDR that is the exterior environment, but that only comes through the windows.

jwiede
04-21-2016, 04:07 AM
Hmm, how large is the scale of the largest bounding box in scene, and how small is the "spiral iterative increase" distance? I'm just wondering if perhaps you're starting to hit issues due to relative scale delta.

prometheus
04-21-2016, 11:38 AM
What took you so long!?!?! I'm dyin' here... :D
s.

Hi B.J!
Check your inbox :)

Michael