PDA

View Full Version : Instance hit the floor?

objuan
04-13-2016, 02:39 AM
I have a Qbertesque grid set up of 3d-L's. I have just one 3d-L, instanced to the points of a 3d grid that offsets each L in X, Y, and Z. Plus I have a Time Offset on the instancing (based on a radial gradient) so when I animate my Master L, the whole grid follows in a rippling dance. I DIG IT!

I have a variety of moves that I like, but now I would like to have all my L's drop down to form a solid plane of L shaped tiles. Is there a way to set a limit on the Y of each instance? I want to just animate my Master L dropping, but rather than have each instance drop to it's relative 3d grid position, I want each instance to try to drop, but stop once it hits 0 on Y. Ideally they would each ease into stopping at 0. How can I set that up?

I'd also like to sporadically have just a few of my Instances glow with a bright luminosity and then return to normal, and or have a wave of luminosity ripple through my grid. Doesn't seem like the instance surfaces listen to the Time Offset though. Tips?

spherical
04-13-2016, 03:44 AM
No tips, but I'll be watching for some that come along. Just wanted to say that your example image is really captivating. Mesmerizing, actually. Unsure just how long it was that I stared at it; taking it all in. :)

BeeVee
04-13-2016, 04:38 AM
It really is beautiful. I was trying to think of things to do as well, but the problem is instancing. If you were to do it with real geometry you could use Bullet and all sorts...

B

Sensei
04-13-2016, 04:57 AM
Have you seen my "How To Make HBO like intro"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9_2p21UWg4
Maybe it will give you some idea.

If I want to have some variable 'x' above some other variable 'y', I use max() (available also in Node Editor):
result = max( x, y )
so
result = max( x, 0 )
is always positive or equal 0.

Have you seen my CSV Reader?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjD5_dusXSg
You could take instance index from 0 to max-1 entries,
and prepare CSV file on disk with all details (or generate them in OpenOffice/Excel using its math functions for instance),
and read them in Node Editor..

pinkmouse
04-14-2016, 02:42 AM
Could you post the scene? I might have chance to look at it this weekend.

MonroePoteet
04-14-2016, 11:13 AM
You could create a Morph of the Instancer grid flattened out, and then use MorphMixer (Properties=>Deformation Tab) to flatten the grid when you want them to drop to Y=0. Quick sample scene attached. Of course you can have multiple Morphs to fine-tune the drops to zero.

mTp

objuan
04-21-2016, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, and for digging the look! - seeing as how you liked the still, you'll probably like this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJweqf2tj98

objuan
04-21-2016, 04:24 AM
Here's a scene file. To do the floor transformation I played with morphing the parent emitter, but ended up duplicating it and having one set of tiles sit flat at floor height - while the others animate and drop down through the floor. I'm pretty happy with it.

I think the secret sauce is the slight Thin Film shader that tints each face as it comes around the bend?

Thanks for the help...

BeeVee
04-21-2016, 04:47 AM
That is all kinds of lovely!

B

MonroePoteet
04-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Yes, very nicely done! As you said, that Thin Film really brings the Sunrise to life!

...and, THANKS for the scene file. Nice to see the techniques used.

mTp

BeeVee
04-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Yes, thanks a lot. So simple, definitely some head-slapping moments there with just how simple it is :D

B

jeric_synergy
04-21-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, and for digging the look! - seeing as how you liked the still, you'll probably like this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJweqf2tj98
:bowdown: Holy crap! Nice work! :bowdown:

objuan
04-21-2016, 12:36 PM
definitely some head-slapping moments there with just how simple it is :D

B

Is that what that green hand print is about?

Thanks guys!