PDA

View Full Version : Easy and fast X-Ray effect

pekka varis
04-12-2016, 04:14 AM
Hi!

I have a CAD model with some ugly wireframes, but still I need to show the machine in my video as "seen through"..

I thought maybe a nice X-ray effect with strong Depth of Field lens setting would work nice.

How can I do this easily with LW 9.6 ?

Yours,
Pekka

daforum
04-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Lots of good stuff in this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?105309-Shaders-for-accurate-X-rays/page2&highlight=xray

Hope it helps :)

prometheus
04-12-2016, 11:16 AM
light incidence angles, perhaps alsa with a mix of surface thickness, the rest you would need to tweak the edge rendering settings, object properties edges, silluette edges and perhaps use other edges and shrink edges with distance and set a proper value.
Lw cad files in to lightwave...if they are not converted to quads, it will probably look awful with a lot of cross connections trom tripled geometry, so I reckon you need to find a workflow of making them quads, by converting in other software or do it with merge triangles and manually fixing it.

Edge transparency shader might work with edges rendering too..you would have to copy and paste the settings to all selected surfaces though.

Michael

pekka varis
04-13-2016, 12:35 AM
Thanks for great answers!! I try the technigues you mentioned.. About cad to lw - I am about to buy polytrans and some modules on top of that. The tripled geometry is a problem, but I write about that on different post.

If anyone knows somekind of surface preset (that I could download) for some kind of X-ray effect suitable for machine seen-through?

prometheus
04-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for great answers!! I try the technigues you mentioned.. About cad to lw - I am about to buy polytrans and some modules on top of that. The tripled geometry is a problem, but I write about that on different post.

If anyone knows somekind of surface preset (that I could download) for some kind of X-ray effect suitable for machine seen-through?

Polytrans is commonly used for transfer...though I am not sure it has options to export out to quads.
otherwise moi or rhino might be of interest, it will of course come at an additional price, but moi do not seem expensive.
Modo and cad loaders is a bit of special designed to handle cad models and fix to quads, but I suspect it was quite expensive.

Otherwise, just use merge triangles overall, then manually merge polygons if somethings not right.

the old presetcentral had an x-ray surface preset, not sure about the new site...I wasnīt fond of the new site since it had more of octane materials and a bit harder to get oversight on...a shame a preset site isnīt maintained by the lightwave group and itīs pages.

I might have that preset somewhere, or it may be reposted here on the forums as well..since the old site went down.

otherwise...try luminosity channel and surface thickness gradient, and or incidence channel, combined with some options in the edge rendering.

a very simple setup is to make the object just one surface, in color set it to a nice blue or xray similar tone, luminosity channel..add surface thickness gradient, transparency around 80-90%

thatīs a crude start, then go to objects panel and check som of the edges options and try that out with a sligth desaturated blue tone..should look decent, you could further enhance with either gradients in the transparency channel too, and also go to shader tab and mix with edge transparency...

Michael

prometheus
04-13-2016, 09:55 AM
http://3dxyz.pro

some of the old presets..it may be in there, link to zip file..
http://3dxyz.pro/?wpdmact=process&did=NjMuaG90bGluaw==

Edited...Nope..not in there.

prometheus
04-13-2016, 10:42 AM
heres a sample image, if thatīs something similar you want?

the settings is there, also check edges tab, silluette and unshared edges active..the model is actually triangled, itīs the opel zafari car from dmi models free models.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133409&d=1460565722

pekka varis
04-14-2016, 01:32 AM
Wow!!! This is amazing!! This is just the way I dreamd it could be done. I use this for sure, and you we should also try to make the people at LW new site to make such a preset there!

Your example is SUBERB.

djwaterman
04-14-2016, 06:24 AM
Good one.

ccclarke
04-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks very much! This is a really useful tip.

CCC

BeeVee
04-15-2016, 04:02 AM
That is great Prometheus!

B

ianr
04-15-2016, 05:57 AM
Ben, get the Devs to include this X-Ray surface as a Preset !

Good on U Prom!

BeeVee
04-15-2016, 07:00 AM
It's certainly nice enough (and in my presets now) :) Ahh, just thought of an issue with it. You have to turn on Edges in Object Properties - that's not a surface property and thus not in a preset.

B

ianr
04-15-2016, 07:55 AM
B V... Give it A Prompt Box wrap?

like 'Will function after you turn on Edges in Object Property'

BeeVee
04-15-2016, 08:36 AM
That can go in the Preset description... Trying to see if there's another way.

B

Otterman
04-15-2016, 08:40 AM
I concur with the light incidence angles coupled with edges on the geometry. (although don't think the lines will respect dof?

Heres one I did earlier.

prometheus
04-15-2016, 09:53 AM
I could post the surface I did later, but as mentioned...with a promt to use sillouette and unshared edges, then it might look different based on the oject itself, so a description of ..use on car size perhaps:)
when setting edges... it will still not look the same as mine by default, since I didnīt use pure white edges, so a change of edge color to match the blue color but with a slightly more lightness/contrast.

Ideally would be if a surface could get acess to edges rendering, or if the preset system could handle storing the data of object render edges, but I think that would be very difficult..or impossible today anyway.

jeric_synergy
04-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Nice look Prom: how's the render time?

BeeVee: can presets hold Surface comments? --Like anybody would notice them. Probably better to put the warning in the name itself.

BeeVee
04-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Sure, yeah. Open your Surface presets window, hover over a preset and look at the bottom of the window. If it says (no description) right click on the surface and choose Set Name.

B
PS. What a palaver to add an image on this board!

jeric_synergy
04-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Nice! I was actually referring to the SURFACE EDITOR comment field, but if Presets has comments too, excellent. (I rarely use them, not for any good reason.)

Well, that's the thing learned for today: I can relax now.

prometheus
04-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Nice! I was actually referring to the SURFACE EDITOR comment field, but if Presets has comments too, excellent. (I rarely use them, not for any good reason.)

Well, that's the thing learned for today: I can relax now.

I think the surface comment is saved with the object, not the actual preset for the surface, while the preset comment describes the preset obviously, you can go to preset editor and set name, you will be promted with a set preset name window, and with that you can set the name of course, and under that a description which you can fill in on how to use it.

Edited...
Blah...I am getting blind, failed to see BeeVees post above, coffe hasnīt kicked in yet.
Rendertime? not sure..didnīt render, just vpr.

pinkmouse
04-15-2016, 12:22 PM
It's certainly nice enough (and in my presets now) :) Ahh, just thought of an issue with it. You have to turn on Edges in Object Properties - that's not a surface property and thus not in a preset.

B

You could always try to persuade the devs that it should be. You might have more luck than us! :)

prometheus
04-15-2016, 12:28 PM
with photoshop/illustrator in the background ..some small programs, and maybe 40-50 tabs in firefox going on...with nvidia gtx 480, I7 960 cpu dual core 3.2 Ghz 12Gb ram...
default settings for camera etc..car object made of 70 209 thousand polygons.
To get a nice look..I am not just using a white edge, generally I use jovian picker and pick from screen and hover over vpr and pick somewhere where I got a nice tone on the car, then I just raise intensity level a bit, so the edges are just a bit more highlighted, but not just boring white.

Rendertime 12 seconds...for standard hdtv.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133447&d=1460744773

ianr
04-16-2016, 09:36 AM
Prom give Bee Vee all the little wrinkles for this, as he entralled as are,

like the rest of us and may find a gateway/ solution to get it implemented

in hard code for you. Its great find, Ah! someday coming to VPR turntable?

prometheus
04-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Prom give Bee Vee all the little wrinkles for this, as he entralled as are,

like the rest of us and may find a gateway/ solution to get it implemented

in hard code for you. Its great find, Ah! someday coming to VPR turntable?

All the info is there in the images, just pick it apart :)

When we get a new enhanced preset system, at least a drag and drop preset system without any requesters, I will start organize and share presets:D
A preset for this would be boring in the shelf, it can not show anything than a blue surface, since it doesnīt take in account the edges, checkerboard for showcasing transparency perhaps.,.but thatīs it, would be sweet
if one were allowed (maybe it is) to replace the preset icon in a smooth way, with any rendered image...perhaps one day when we also got image icons and presets for objects?

Michael