PDA

View Full Version : Help! Is There Any Way to Create a Texture Map for Objects Animated with MDD?

stevegraymusic
04-11-2016, 09:13 PM
I created an animation in Softimage (Yes..Softimage) and I exported the models and MDD files.
Everything imported into Lightwave perfectly. Now the only problem I'm having is creating UV Textures for the models. I'm guessing that the texture maps that I'm creating in Lightwave are somehow altering the point number or point order of the models because when the texture maps are applied and I import the MDD animation the model gets completely distorted. The model still moves but the polygons are all screwed up and ugly.
Is there a way to apply texture maps to models in Lightwave that are animated using MDD files?
Thanks!!!

Ztreem
04-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Maybe it works better if you do the UV's before the animation?

gerry_g
04-12-2016, 03:38 AM
wouldn't copying the existing object, uv'ing it and then swapping out the existing object for the uv'd one with 'replace - with object' command if it is all one layer or 'from layer' if it isn't work

Sensei
04-12-2016, 05:11 AM
You should not unweld points, or using similar geometry modifying tools, while making UV maps.

Do you painted your image maps already?

stevegraymusic
04-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys!
Sensei: I began the process of making the textures after I imported the models into Lightwave.
You can export the UVs right our of Softimage but they're far from perfect so they need to be twekaed to allow easy painting.
But whenever I try to adjust the points or flatten the UVs it messes up the MDD animation and the objects become distorted.

gerry_g - same thing in this case. I tried to swap out the exact same model with new UVs and textures for the model with the MDD animation applied and for some reason Lightwave added about 50 or so extra vertices to the model which made it incompatible with the MDD file??? I checked in the geometry detail in Layout as well as in the MDD dialogue box and somehow there were additional vertices. All I did was create a UV map and add an image. I thought it would be fine because it was the exact same model.

ZTReem: I thought about that and I hope that's not the case as I've put in quite a bit of work on the animation in Softimage.
Thanks for the replies.

Sensei
04-12-2016, 07:28 PM
All I did was create a UV map and add an image. I thought it would be fine because it was the exact same model.

But which tools you used while making UV map?
You have to restrict to only these that don't modify geometry (it can be hidden, not so obvious).
f.e. take Make Atlas UV map tool, and see whether it destroy MDD,
if MDD after using Make Atlas is working good, you know this tool is possible to use.
etc. etc.
Make a list of tools which are possible to use and which are not (the all in Create,the all in Multiply,part in Modify,larger part in Construct and Detail)

I asked whether you already painted them, because in this case you want to reuse them.
If you confirm f.e. that Make Atlas does not destroy MDD, you could try rebaking image from 1st mesh already made and painted UV to 2nd mesh atlas UV..

bobakabob
04-13-2016, 03:09 PM
How bizarre. MDDs are usually painless in LW. I've never heard of this happening and hopefully someone from LW3DG can explain or suggest a workaround.

Would it be possible to texture the model, swap it out on the skeleton in Softimage, run the animation and then import into LW? (I might test this out by uv-ing and texturing a model in Zbrush animated by MDDs in LW.)

stevegraymusic
04-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Thanks again guys. I decided to try to figure out a work around rather than making my UVs in LW (exporting the EPS to Photoshop etc...). After I import the models with the MDD into Layout, I deleted the crazy UVs that were exported out of Softimage and just exported my LWO and loaded into 3D Coat. Create the UVs in 3DCoat and then export the model which loads flawlessly into Layout and animates perfectly with the MDD files. I'm sure there must be a way to accomplish this within Lightwave but creating the UVs in 3DCoat is working so I'll stick with that for now. Thanks again for the input!

stevegraymusic
04-14-2016, 07:13 AM
Sensei:
I used an old method of creating the UVs that I've used successfully in the past to map and texture models in Lightwave.
I selected the various parts of the model that I want to create individual UV "islands" for...making the surfaces different colors and then creating a morph.
Within the morph target I select the individual parts and File>Cut them and immediately paste the parts back so that each section is able to be selected by itself.
Then also within the morph I arrange the parts around and flatten etc. to make them easier to paint in Photoshop.
The base mesh remains untouched - only the morph is moved.
I create a new planar map on the Z axis from the morph and then export the EPS file to Photoshop.

Once I'm done painting the texture I go back to the morph I created and delete it. Then I merge the points of the individual parts back into place.
(This is the step that most likely causes the problem, even though it should still be the same number of points. shouldn't it?)
I apply the new texture and everything looks fine but when I try to apply the MDD it no longer works with the model.

Sensei
04-14-2016, 07:24 AM
And that's whole problem: using Cut/Paste (also Merge,Weld,Unweld). It makes new geometry. And destroy original point order.

Imagine you have points with index 0,1,2,3,4,5
You select points 0,1,2
Cut
3,4,5 becomes 0,1,2
Paste

Old->New Index
0->3
1->4
2->5
3->0
4->1
5->2

stevegraymusic
04-14-2016, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=Sensei;1472836]And that's whole problem: using Cut/Paste (also Merge,Weld,Unweld). It makes new geometry. And destroy original point order.

Thanks Sensei;

Hmmm yes... makes sense now. You've been very helpful to help me understand this.
If it's not too much trouble...what is the preferred method of creating, flattening etc. the UV islands within Lightwave so that they are clean enough to paint in Photoshop and does not disturb point order for the MDD?

Sensei
04-14-2016, 11:31 AM
I do know nothing about UV mapping from artist point of view, sort of.
You have to figure out which tools destroy which not destroy point order by yourself.
I would try select poly island, and then Make UV (pick up always the same name from drop-down list, to attach to the same UV), does not matter which one projection, planar or spherical or cylindrical. Relax UV. Hide polys.
Repeat with all other islands. Until nothing remained.
Unhide all.

I made tool which is selecting UV island, similar way as select connected works, but it ends work at UV edge. So poly island doesn't have to be unwelded, to be able quickly select the all polys in island defined by UV island.
It's part of TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

I found video tutorial with this tool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhQq2HdVj14
It's single continuous welded mesh.

stevegraymusic
04-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Nice. I will check it out! Thanks!