PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Tutorials?

Cageman
04-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Hello guys!

I'm trying to figure out how to do a setup for a car with some suspension for the wheels, but no matter what I do I simply can't get it to work. I've looked into the example scenes for 2015 for Bullet regarding setting it up for a vehicle, but constraints are not named properly, and they both are kind of messy in terms of structure and so on...

Anyone know of any tutorials for these, or know how to solve my problem?

Cheers!

prometheus
04-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Hello guys!

I'm trying to figure out how to do a setup for a car with some suspension for the wheels, but no matter what I do I simply can't get it to work. I've looked into the example scenes for 2015 for Bullet regarding setting it up for a vehicle, but constraints are not named properly, and they both are kind of messy in terms of structure and so on...

Cheers!

Was this introduction tute too simple in terms of a setup? I know you looked at the sample scenes, but if you also checked the intro?...maybe you need a more advanced description that also includes true geometry? (eventually you do need true geometry of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Uqs0_SVrE

jwiede
04-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Hello guys!

So, shortly after I purchased the 2015 upgrade (circa 9/2015 ~= 2015.2/3) I tried what you're asking, and had zero success despite trying over and over. Taking separate car and wheel objects, and then attempting to use LW Bullet constraints to create a suspension, I experienced extremely frequent freezing/crashing (or simply not working), typically while trying to attach wheels to body using various assemblies of motor/spring, motor/"vertical slider" with parallel spring, etc. I eventually just gave up trying, as it seemed like there was a fairly low limit of complexity beyond which LW Bullet would simply freeze/crash, but I wasn't able to identify a simple (let alone reliable) repro case.

Bullet in LW2015 is pretty rife with issues, based on my and others' experiences. Good luck, and if you succeed please upload the scene!

jwiede
04-19-2016, 12:32 PM
maybe you need a more advanced description that also includes true geometry?

IME, LW Bullet's stability is definitely worsened upon "attaching" assemblies of Bullet "new constraints" to mesh geometry, but I never found a simple, clean reliable repro before running out of free time and having to set it down.

I really wish they'd produce more useful/practical demos instead of such abstract ones (f.e. the "car suspension" demo that doesn't even have any geometry in it). If they did, I suspect their (LW3DG's) experiences would be more similar to those of their customers w.r.t. encountering problems like these.

prometheus
04-19-2016, 03:38 PM
IME, LW Bullet's stability is definitely worsened upon "attaching" assemblies of Bullet "new constraints" to mesh geometry, but I never found a simple, clean reliable repro before running out of free time and having to set it down.

I really wish they'd produce more useful/practical demos instead of such abstract ones (f.e. the "car suspension" demo that doesn't even have any geometry in it). If they did, I suspect their (LW3DG's) experiences would be more similar to those of their customers w.r.t. encountering problems like these.

I have only tested some simple setups, but I do now there was some major crashing during the intitial releases, many solved though regarding bullet, but then after a while after using 2015, I get crashes in soo many places that itīs hard to make a note on everything.

If it werenīt for the General instability of 2015 and if I had more time, I would use the bullet system with alll that new stuff more, I hope to do so a little this upcoming week, but it is with a certain reluctance I would do that since I get so many crashes I canīt track down, unless filing it all of course...my bad) but in essence I have almost given up on 2015 and instead use the 11.6 mostly, and then I look ahead to what the new release will show instead.

Michael