PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Devs and long standing gripe

Amurrell
04-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Are we going to have opaque selection shading for polys like other apps soon? Is this not possible with the current state of LW? I know this has bothered other users for a long time, when one selects a bunch of polys, but there's just that one or two that didn't make it to the party. It's a small thing, but helpful if we had better visual feedback for this. Matt?

prometheus
04-10-2016, 09:56 AM
I guess you mean highlighted poly selections when hovering over the polygons or selecting them? not just highlight the edges in polygon mode.
Yes..in such case Ivé been ranting about that too...but with option to keep it as displaying it also as edges if you find the need to, two options in display settings that is.

chikega
04-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Could you tell them that Modeler needs the ability to orbit the viewport around a selection too, while you're at it? ;)

MonroePoteet
04-10-2016, 11:54 AM
The think the original post is asking for the selected polygons to become opaque (or translucent) shaded rather than just their wireframe outline being highlighted. In the current selection visibility, it's really easy to select all the polygons *around* one which isn't selected, but you can't tell that because all the edges of the unselected polygon are highlighted.

My (very cumbersome) workaround is to use double-quote to toggle the selection, and look for unselected polygons (now selected) in the area I want selected, then toggle the selection again to fine-tune it.

mTp

MonroePoteet
04-10-2016, 11:58 AM
RE: orbiting the selection, I use SHIFT-a to center the selection, and then hold the ALT key to orbit around it.

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-10-2016, 01:10 PM
I think it's a reasonable request, and certainly due. --Wireframe is so 90's.

Considering that the various new-ish (very "*-ish" by now) tools have highlight selection, it's hopefully that they were the first harbingers of the code infrastructure to make selection highlighting possible.

Amurrell
04-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Clarified through a picture

Amurrell
04-10-2016, 10:39 PM
Could you tell them that Modeler needs the ability to orbit the viewport around a selection too, while you're at it? ;)

It does with Shift-A, but I would like the option of turntable orbiting instead of trackball when using the keyboard, just like the widget in the upper right of the viewport does.

lightscape
04-11-2016, 05:45 AM
+1
though there probably be any significant work on modeller anymore.

My way around it is to activate show normals.

prometheus
04-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Clarified through a picture

Thatīs what I said:D

- - - Updated - - -

It does with Shift-A, but I would like the option of turntable orbiting instead of trackball when using the keyboard, just like the widget in the upper right of the viewport does.

me too...but I am not sure if there is a way with some plugin autohotkey to configure that?

ConjureBunny
04-11-2016, 02:44 PM

You mean like it does when you scroll around with a trackpad on a Mac?

Is there no equivalent of this in the Windows version?

-Chilton

MichaelT
04-12-2016, 08:19 AM
If you press 'd' and activate show normals, that selection visibility will be achieved (Like lightscape said.. I really should read whole threads) Although I agree that a colored poly is preferred :)

prometheus
04-12-2016, 10:41 AM
If you press 'd' and activate show normals, that selection visibility will be achieved (Like lightscape said.. I really should read whole threads) Although I agree that a colored poly is preferred :)

Thatīs horrible:D

well..yeah might work as a little help, but preferably fully colored selections please, to further aid the distinction from the other polys... and surrounding areas as well as distinction from edges, the only restriction I have against it..that would be if the selection or modeling process will become too slow, so an option to turn this off for very dense meshes might be needed..if it has that kind of impact that is.

MichaelT
04-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Unless they have done some very shady coding :) I don't see how having colored polys would impact performance. Performance on GPU drawing polys (untextured) is so efficient today, that you could essentially call it a 'free' operation. Textures will slow things down, as will lighting. But not by a very large margin. I think they should at the very least consider it being an option in the settings (a.k.a 'd') so we can make the choice to use it. Drawing lines is actually more expensive for the GPU too.

spherical
04-12-2016, 04:34 PM
The color poly idea is similar to, and could be an enhancement of, the color polys differently on the back side that I came up with a few months back. It was to make repairing Borked meshes like crap from SketchUp and Thingiverse easier because of the clueless modeling where everything is double-sided, so doesn't matter to them. Get them into a real modeling application and turn DS off and you end up looking at a blizzard of tedium. Identifying flipped polys that have a different color on the back side AND are selected would be a serious step up in functionality. I'm for it!

MicroMouse
04-13-2016, 04:01 PM
To identify flipped faces, AccuTrans 3D (for Windows OS, try running it via Wine on OSX and Linux) has used different colors on the front and back faces of triangles for many years.

Download the help manual and use it with Context-Sensitive Help to learn how the controls work.

http://www.micromouse.ca/

Wayne