PDA

View Full Version : Are there likely to be hdmi to NDI hardware adapters?

AlanZ
04-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Rather than coercing hdmi cameras into computers via USB or dedicated cards, are there likely to be HDMI adapters that will plug into the network in much the same way that a NAS device does? The device might contain the serving firmware that makes the video stream available to NDI.

Do we know if this is possible, or likely? Any hints of such a thing?
It could simplify using camcorders as inputs for NDI compliant programs.

SBowie
04-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Certainly such an adapter would be desirable, and it seems highly likely (to me) they will appear in the fullness of time. At the moment, the only one that comes to mind has four inputs and, although compact, is probably more than you are really looking for:

Although I do sometimes think of it as the ideal four channel scan converter. :)

JPulera
04-15-2016, 10:44 AM
An NDI hardware converter has been announced - http://www.bird-dog.tv/

AlanZ
04-15-2016, 10:54 AM
It's getting closer to what I am looking for. I would like a single hdmi input and Ethernet output. Reduce the cost as low as possible.

SBowie
04-15-2016, 11:19 AM
In general, as these solutions arrive I suspect they will fall into two main classes - rack mount (where the choices will be further sub-divided as 'diy' vs. turnkey) and 'compact'. There will likely be corresponding prices by form factor and features. Of these, as far as I know the only one actually shipping right now is the 'diy' type.

BrianRoberts
04-21-2016, 09:21 AM
that NDI converter looks awesome. Cant wait to see some in action

kracklow
04-17-2017, 05:59 PM
that NDI converter looks awesome. Cant wait to see some in action

I foresee me purchasing these with every new camera purchase if the latency holds up as nicely as it does in the demo video. For me this means anywhere I have an network drop in my facility we have a camera input and down the road output. The FAQ even mentions they may upgrade the firmware at a later date so you can use these as NDI receivers.

Would be interesting to have a discussion on NDI bandwidth requirements and if QoS is need on the network.

RileyM
04-18-2017, 11:00 AM
An NDI hardware converter has been announced - http://www.bird-dog.tv/

Wow.
I could purchase the Newtek Studio Input Module for $6,000, or two of these for $2,000 and get the same results?

kanep
04-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Would be interesting to have a discussion on NDI bandwidth requirements and if QoS is need on the network.

Bandwidth depends on video format and frame rate. For 1080i video it is good to plan on peak bitrate of 100Mbit/s per channel, with typical datarate in the 70 to 80Mbit/s range.

QoS is not typically needed for NDI to operate, but it is recommend that you have control over the network that you will be using NDI on, in case firewalls or other network filtering is preventing NDI from communicating.

SBowie
04-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Wow.
I could purchase the Newtek Studio Input Module for $6,000, or two of these for $2,000 and get the same results?Just to address your point, first, I don't think two of these little devices gives you 4 channel conversion to NDI (please correct me if I'm mistaken), but beyond that, they are really quite different in approach. The rack mount unit brings a lot of added functionality to bear (which you may or may not need).

RileyM
04-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Just to address your point, first, I don't think two of these little devices gives you 4 channel conversion to NDI (please correct me if I'm mistaken), but beyond that, they are really quite different in approach. The rack mount unit brings a lot of added functionality to bear (which you may or may not need).

As is usually the case, it is I who missed something.

Via the FAQ:

Can I use Studio NDI with more than one input?
Not right now. While it is true that we have both HDMI and SDI inputs on the BirdDog Studio, only one input can currently be used at a time.

By default if there is two signals inputting into BirdDog Studio we will always take the SDI as a priotiy. You can change this in the setup menu on your own unit.

All outputs are live on BirdDog Studio though, so on top of using it to create NDI, it is also a format converter to give you HDMI from your SDI source, or vice-versa

So it would take four of these devices to equal the input module. And by "equal" I mean just the ability to convert SDI to NDI, not all of the other very useful features the input module has.

SBowie
04-18-2017, 03:12 PM
As is usually the case, it is I who missed something.No problem, it's early days and I certainly don't know everything there is to know either!