PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration: zoetropes in 3d ?

jeric_synergy
04-07-2016, 10:17 AM
It's a little perverse, but: has anybody ever used a 3D rendering program to build a zoetrope-like structure???

Like this:
https://www.facebook.com/BoredPandaArt/videos/502498749937255/

Schwyhart
04-07-2016, 12:53 PM
No, but that would be really fun to make!

MonroePoteet
04-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I was working on a geometric zoetrope as a cool project, but am having trouble baking Instances. Attached is a sample scene with a keyframed ball bouncing on a platform with a Radial Array instancer. To build the zoetrope, I'd bake the instances, then rotate the entire (baked) structure up to stroboscopic consonance with the Frame Rate using Motion Blur to make it realistic.

The sequential variations on the position of the key-framed motion in the radial instances is accomplished with a radial grey-scale image on the Time Offset of the Instancer. I haven't tuned it for the frame-rate, so it won't "zoetrope" (hey, any noun can be verbed :) ) in this scene.

The issue is when I use any of the Instance baking scripts / Python plugins I've found, the Scale parameter is lost / corrupted. I'm still (sadly) running V11.6.3, and have tried the Python plugins provided in the V11.6.5 content and Mike Green's Bake Instancers plugin. When I bake the instances, the Y scale on the ball (to compress it when it hits the platform) is lost / corrupted.

Can anyone suggest a Bake Instancer methodology which keeps the Scale channels? Is this a bug in V11.6.3 Python support?

Thanks,
mTp

MonroePoteet
04-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Forgot to mention: here's a photograph based zoetrope, using a Muybridge galloping horse sequence. The tricky parts were getting the zoetrope rotation synchronized with the frame rate, and getting the motion blur tuned so it looks OK. The cylindrical image sequence was created by UV mapping a 4x4 quad of rectangles, unwelding them, and reforming them into the zoetrope structure.

If you get a chance to render it out (took about 12 minutes on my system), it's pretty cool. Loses a lot when just rendering stills.

mTp

MonroePoteet
04-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Forgot to mention: when I freeze the Instances, they inherit the visibility and rendering from the Scene Editor. If you want to see the baked instances, turn on Scene Editor rendering (Textured Wire Frame) and "active" in Scene Editor *before* baking instances.

mTp

chikega
04-10-2016, 09:15 PM
You realize that the cake in the advert was actually done in 3d, right? :)

http://lbbonline.com/news/computer-chip-cities-claymation-and-zoetropes-bring-anz-to-life-in-new-animated-campaign/

jeric_synergy
04-11-2016, 01:02 AM
You realize that the cake in the advert was actually done in 3d, right? :)
Well, there's egg on my face!

And flour, sugar, and milk. :D

+++++++++
So, in Australia, do animators work sane hours, or is it the ridiculous North America pattern of working 'til you drop?

chikega
04-11-2016, 10:23 AM
I thought it was real myself .. until I started doing a little digging. Much like I thought the opening for Game of Thrones were actual miniatures! :)

jeric_synergy
04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Damnably talented artisans!!! I shoulda known the cash registers were too detailed. :(

OTOH, this shows how 3d modeling would make 3d printing REAL zoetropes a lot easier.