PDA

View Full Version : NDI Telestrator?

fox56wolf
04-07-2016, 06:46 AM
I have a vision for a tablet app, hopefully one of you developers can work on... Basically, I want to be able to select an NDI source, draw on it (just a pencil tool with color selection), and the output (NDI, obviously) would show both the video and the drawings. Maybe 3Play or TC DDR control could be incorporated into a "Pro" version?

SBowie
04-07-2016, 06:58 AM
... the output (NDI, obviously) would show both the video and the drawings.A question: why would you want to repeat the background video on output, rather than just overlay it above the live source using a DSK/KEY layer in realtime?

fox56wolf
04-07-2016, 08:15 AM
That was actually my initial thought. And we actually had it working that way in our studio... had Illustrator fullscreen with a Green 255 background, and drawing with a red pen. Only problem was that the person drawing only saw green, no video. I would want the video on the output simply in an effort to eliminate the error of keying over a different camera/source; I could see the telestrator pulling up Replay B, but the TD keys it over Replay A, and now the drawings make no sense (not that they usually do anyway).

SBowie
04-07-2016, 08:51 AM
I think this may be two different requirements:

Only problem was that the person drawing only saw green, no video.Of course, a real NDI telestatrator would show full motion video behind the paint on the canvas... not just some keyable color. By itself, though, this doesn't require the telestrator output to have the video signal embedded in it. Not to say that this is impossible, but it doesn't seem to represent as efficient use of bandwidth as possible, since you'd basically need to carry the background source at least twice.

I would want the video on the output simply in an effort to eliminate the error of keying over a different camera/sourceI think this could possibly be solved in different ways.

For example - you could use an M/E to handle the sources for telestration purposes. You would send that M/E to an output with the 'clean' switch on, and that's the source the Telestrator app would 'see'. You'd assign the 32 bit output from the Telestrator to a KEY layer in the same M/E. Then the 'dirty' output of the M/E could be used anywhere internally to show the correctly combined paint and video. This would mean the TriCaster operator would always control what video was going to the telestrator, and it would be both switchable and always 'in sync'.

fox56wolf
04-07-2016, 09:00 AM
I like where this is going. Sounds like a simple enough idea, I just don't know how to make programs. So when one of you developers starts getting rich off your NDI Telestrator app, how 'bout kicking a few bucks my way? At least a free download?

SBowie
04-07-2016, 09:02 AM
My programming language is English, I'm afraid. But it's a grand idea.

livepad
04-07-2016, 02:08 PM
I have a vision for a tablet app, hopefully one of you developers can work on... Basically, I want to be able to select an NDI source, draw on it (just a pencil tool with color selection), and the output (NDI, obviously) would show both the video and the drawings. Maybe 3Play or TC DDR control could be incorporated into a "Pro" version?

One of the demonstration applets we have created for Sienna GraphicArtist OSX NDI is a telestrator.
Stay tuned.

Http://sienna.tv/ndi

SBowie
04-07-2016, 02:21 PM
There's also Fingerworks: http://www.3dstorm.com/en/news2/44-2016/308-livexpert-adopts-newtek-ndi-for-ip-production-workflow

fgolman
04-07-2016, 05:37 PM
I've been working with the AccuWeather StoryTeller system. It has extensive display capability beyond the basic telestrator function. BUT, they're doing it using hardware and SDI (of course, this implementation was created before NDI).

I'm going to talk with the head of their display business at NAB and evangelize NDI.

It's a very robust system in use at many broadcasters. You see it's implementation as the "big board" type interactive touch-screen.

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications