PDA

View Full Version : How would you model this in lightwave-SpiderCage form?

prometheus
04-05-2016, 05:02 PM
I am curious on how you guys would approach modeling this piece in lightwave...without too much fuzz?

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133298&d=1459897208

Michael

MonroePoteet
04-05-2016, 05:26 PM
In this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145351-modeling-a-cell-network/page2&highlight=node+network

JoePoe posted a video on building an organic cell network which was really innovative using point Selection Sets. Here's a pointer to his tutorial:

https://youtu.be/2emIdQlPuUA

Looking at the rest of that thread for further hints and techniques is worthwhile.

mTp

hrgiger
04-05-2016, 05:35 PM

I did this one in about 5 minutes.

Made an arc in LWCAD, did a radial array 8 times to give me guide curves. Then extruded the curves with LWCAD profiler then simply joined the tops into a relatively clean mesh. I mirrored what I could to save some time. I made a simple join, I could have made more of a tapering join like in yours but just giving you ideas.

Here's the mesh.

prometheus
04-05-2016, 06:33 PM
In this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145351-modeling-a-cell-network/page2&highlight=node+network

JoePoe posted a video on building an organic cell network which was really innovative using point Selection Sets. Here's a pointer to his tutorial:

https://youtu.be/2emIdQlPuUA

Looking at the rest of that thread for further hints and techniques is worthwhile.

mTp

Might take a look at it..but I think the process is way to complex to call the process without too much fuzz, may work..but you need to get the right geo for it to work in that cage form.

I did this one in about 5 minutes.

Made an arc in LWCAD, did a radial array 8 times to give me guide curves. Then extruded the curves with LWCAD profiler then simply joined the tops into a relatively clean mesh. I mirrored what I could to save some time. I made a simple join, I could have made more of a tapering join like in yours but just giving you ideas.

Here's the mesh.

Looking good hr giger, and acceptable, though you did cheated and used third party tools, but...So did I :)
But my tools where all free, and it allows me to edit the base structure both in lightwave and the "third" party solution in various ways, that you probably can not do with lwcad...so for those of you who donīt have lw cad, I will tell you later.

I think I can do it and also in fact did do it much faster than 5 minutes.

JoePoe
04-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Took about 2 minutes. Maybe 3 :hey: :D. All stock LW, no plugs.

Edit: @ Monroe. Thanks for the shoutout :). Horse of a different color though.

prometheus
04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Took about 2 minutes. Maybe 3 :hey: :D. All stock LW, no plugs.

Edit: @ Monroe. Thanks for the shoutout :). Horse of a different color though.

Thatīs good too, not exactly sure what you did, you could just create oneof the ribs..half side, spin it and join the top and bottom manually..since those areas needs to be closed.

I will revealed what I did, I created a disc, selected its edges with edge loop, copied them, deleted the disc and pasted back the edges so I got a polychain, then I used spin it 45 degrees, merged points, sent it to blender..used the skin modifier, finished

the advantage is that I could deform either the polyedges/chain in lightwave..or use deformers on the edges Only in blender, so the main structure topo is intact.
The laplacian smoothing deformer in blender is also nice to sort of tapering them to be thicker at the pole and thinner the further out the cage is.

In Lightwave ..another way may be to simply use the bezier bridge plugin.

Michael

prometheus
04-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Another way in lightwave.

1. create a disc in top view, 8 sides with some depth.
2. metaform once or twice, in edge mode, select the top edges at the pole, select loop..so all the edges that are building the ribs are selected, use chamfer in edge mode.
3. convert to polyselection (will not work in lw 2015..but in 11.6) for 2015 you would have to go convert to points..then polys...once that is done, cut and paste those parts.
4. make the pole ngons quads by selecting them and run the cm polydivide.
5. thicken it.
6. metaform it or use subpatch divide as it is... or ctrl d to freeze it after any desired subpatch level.

Nice to know the different options..though the approach of using edges only and a skin modifier allows for the flexibility of adjusting the skeleton edges as you want, before and after skin skin modifier ..and thus creating the thickness after without any unwanted distortion.

Still hoping we can get such feature as blender has with skin modifier..working on edges.

Michael

JoePoe
04-05-2016, 08:31 PM
That's basically what I did... with one or two slight differences:

1) 8 sided sphere.
2) select vertical loops > chamfer.
3) Select the new poly loops and top bottom ngons. Delete inverse.
4) MetaformPlus
5) Thicken

prometheus
04-05-2016, 09:05 PM
That's basically what I did... with one or two slight differences:

1) 8 sided sphere.
2) select vertical loops > chamfer.
3) Select the new poly loops and top bottom ngons. Delete inverse.
4) MetaformPlus
5) Thicken

Great..will take a look and see if I can follow your flow exactly, I wonder..you have to individually select poly loops?..it may not be that much of a trouble..but I found it nice that we could simply convert to poly selection Directly after chamfer, in
lw 11.6, without having to manually selecting stuff after...but that was either screwed up or just changed to work as it should according the the lw team?

Also..if you have blender installed..it would be nice to know if you have any thoughts about working that way with the skin modifier?

Michael

jwiede
04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
3. convert to polyselection (will not work in lw 2015..but in 11.6)

The seemingly ever-growing laundry list of LW2015 regressions is getting a bit... depressing, dontcha think? :devil:

prometheus
04-05-2016, 10:13 PM
The seemingly ever-growing laundry list of LW2015 regressions is getting a bit... depressing, dontcha think? :devil:

well maybe...I honestly do not know of much of those regressions, so you would have to list them for me:D

I am more concerned about the horrendous amount of crashes I got with 2015, if it werenīt for the fast vpr and radiosity, volumetrics in 2015, I would probably leave it alone and work entirely in 11.6.
But I have honestly not done a serious attempt of tracking down the issues, could be my configs too, but I think I will deal with it until they release the next version and I will go from there I think.

Michael

jeric_synergy
04-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Not as swift as JoePoe, needs some edge loops added, but here's about 10 minutes:
Rail extrude one face of a Disk, Array, hand patch ends, Mirror:
Lacks the organic feel of the original.

prometheus
04-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Not as swift as JoePoe, needs some edge loops added, but here's about 10 minutes:
Rail extrude one face of a Disk, Array, hand patch ends, Mirror:
Lacks the organic feel of the original.

yeah..one way to go to, the pole ends seems a bit pinched in the junctions, and rail extruding takes longer time to work with.

I will try and record vids of both using edges in lightwave that is spinned then sent to blender and thickened with the skin modifier, and also the method joe poe and I did almost similar with either a sphere or a disc and selecting the edges and chamfering it etc.

But I donīt think I will manage to do that until thursday perhaps.

prometheus
04-06-2016, 12:04 AM
around 1 min 40 seconds of creation time from starting the disc and finishing in blender, but I have been up all night and I am extremly tired ..so I can push it more to reduce creation time :)

If we had a similar skin modifier in Lightwave directly..this would be even a lot faster.

3dbr
04-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Wow! Super method. A dozen or more options in choosing loop, scale and twisting. Thanks, Prometheus.

http://morgoth.ru/images/2016/04/06/4b6a8978d87b7de9d960d7000da4eb55.jpg

jeric_synergy
04-06-2016, 12:24 AM
4) MetaformPlus
....!!!... Isn't MetaformPlus native? I don't see it in my install. :eek: :cry:
++++++++++

Wow! Super method. A dozen or more options in choosing loop, scale and twisting. Thanks, Prometheus.

You got that with Prom's method? In LWM?

prometheus
04-06-2016, 01:00 AM

Great...not sure what you used though, simply in lightwave as we mentioned or with blender skin modifier?

3dbr
04-06-2016, 01:32 AM
in lightwave:
1. Create a disc in top view, 8 sides with some depth.
2. MetaFormPlus (subdivision *3).
3. Select loop edge
4. Chamfer
5. Select polygon, cut and past in other Layer
6. Tchiken (or item 7)
7. Scale, Rotate (Linear, Radial....)
3,4,5, (select loop other)
http://morgoth.ru/images/2016/04/06/0c7d743dfcb4329e76f999afac3293cb.jpg

jeric_synergy
04-06-2016, 01:54 AM
I see MetaformPlus is in the LEGACY folder. Why the hell did they ever deprecate that tool, it's GREAT!!!???

Is there a 'modern' equivalent??

prometheus
04-06-2016, 02:20 AM
I see MetaformPlus is in the LEGACY folder. Why the hell did they ever deprecate that tool, it's GREAT!!!???

Is there a 'modern' equivalent??

The question is why they didnīt implement a single metaform/subdivide tool but with both those two options..maybe:D

I reckon it must of course be because they got a complete new live subdiv and metaform tool coming in the next update:D

Metaform has some things subdiv donīt ...you can metaform several levels from 1- and up, and it works on ngons, which subdiv donīt.
Metaform however lacks facet and a smoothing angle level, and a fractal noise function.

However..on flat polys..
If one run metaform plus on a simple flat quad..it will only divide it in facet though, while the subdiv metaform will divide it in relation to smoothing angle, hence the result of rounded division of the quad.

No I donīt think there is a modern equivalent.

I think the programmers follows the the same rules as those weaving persian carpets, old saying of only god can be perfect..so they weave in some faults in the carpet...something like that, so who knows, old traditions seem
to hang on :)

MichaelT
04-06-2016, 02:20 AM
1. toroid (x axis)
2. array (y axis)

But if the meta mesh at the edges are important, that requires additional steps.

Otherwise manipulating the surface of a sphere, extruding the remains and round the edges is also an option of course.

prometheus
04-06-2016, 02:31 AM
1. toroid (x axis)
2. array (y axis)

But if the meta mesh at the edges are important, that requires additional steps.

Otherwise manipulating the surface of a sphere, extruding the remains and round the edges is also an option of course.

Metamesh at the edges? well yes..they need to be fused, not overlapping..In my book anyway, so thats why I would throw toroid and array and fiddling with additional steps to fuse them in the trashcan.
As you say..manipulating the surface we have described..but with chamfer.

Another option I havenīt tested properly..but I think it should work, create a disc 8 sided, witha little depth, copy or mirror it so you got one top and bottom part with some space between it, select one polyside from the top part and then bottom part and use the px bezier, once you set the first bezier bridge correct and straight with a bend, you can apply it on the other remaining sides with the exact same settings..since bezier bridge remembers it.

MichaelT
04-06-2016, 02:43 AM
"..but with chamfer" Yes, so you did. Bad habit of mine not to read the whole thread sometimes :)

prometheus
04-06-2016, 02:46 AM
"..but with chamfer" Yes, so you did. Bad habit of mine not to read the whole thread sometimes :)

It happens to us all, itīs a story of human communication to leave out information or code once we work on something, dynamic fluctation of human communication and development..or something like that :)

Kaptive
04-06-2016, 07:07 AM
I had a quick go...

I created a flat disk. Selected the edges for a quarter of it and extended it out a bit, then deleted the disk poly.
This leaves the flat curve. I then manually created the top connection point using a quick reference disc with 8 sides.
I then mirrored the top to the bottom, merge points. Finally, spun it round (using constraints) copy/paste... merge, thicken.
Subdivide metaform... Probably about 5 mins?

Ya know, this is a bit more interesting than the speed modelling challenge. It is good to see different approaches and the results. Maybe we should do it on occasion. No stress, no winner/loser. Maybe you get a kudos point if you find the simplest/most elegant/fastest/different method to achieve it. Just a thought... keep it simple. :)

jeric_synergy
04-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Kaptive, by "spun it around" do you mean "radial array"?

JoePoe
04-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Great..will take a look and see if I can follow your flow exactly, I wonder..you have to individually select poly loops?..it may not be that much of a trouble..but I found it nice that we could simply convert to poly selection Directly after chamfer, in
lw 11.6, without having to manually selecting stuff after...but that was either screwed up or just changed to work as it should according the the lw team?

I selected pairs in the top view and hit the arrow key and added the ngons. So not individually selected but certainly not as easy as just switching over to polys. That was nice. I don't think it was changed on purpose. I think that functionality just fell through the cracks.

Thinking out load....Another way to make selection almost as easy as with the old chamfer is to do this...
Start with 16 sided sphere.
Select every other "spine" > select loop.
Run Rounder with make new surface. I believe after the rounding the polys will still be selected. If not select by surface.

Also..if you have blender installed..it would be nice to know if you have any thoughts about working that way with the skin modifier?

Michael

All of this is sounding very familiar :D (link (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149340-Blender-skin-modifier-tutorials-also-compatible-with-lightwave-edges-polylines&highlight=blender+modifier), one of three threads I think :dance:)

My Answer now is the same as back then.... :thumbsup:

Kinda fun :)

(I still get frustrated in Blender in general though. My own fault. I've got some sorta block)

Kaptive
04-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Kaptive, by "spun it around" do you mean "radial array"?

Well, in this case I just used the rotate tool. I just move to 0,0,0xyz and hold ctrl (constrain), copy paste... I'm sure radial array probably does it just as fast/faster with less clicking... but I just prefer to do that sort of thing manually if its only a few times.

I find I can just use short cuts very quickly without really thinking. I think that is why I used the wording "spun it around", as either way you get the same result.
I just like to perform a lot of operations by hand if you know what I mean... less time going through menus. But it is depends entirely on how accurate I need the final result/how lazy I feel :)

prometheus
04-06-2016, 08:59 PM
I selected pairs in the top view and hit the arrow key and added the ngons. So not individually selected but certainly not as easy as just switching over to polys. That was nice. I don't think it was changed on purpose. I think that functionality just fell through the cracks.

Thinking out load....Another way to make selection almost as easy as with the old chamfer is to do this...
Start with 16 sided sphere.
Select every other "spine" > select loop.
Run Rounder with make new surface. I believe after the rounding the polys will still be selected. If not select by surface.

All of this is sounding very familiar :D (link (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149340-Blender-skin-modifier-tutorials-also-compatible-with-lightwave-edges-polylines&highlight=blender+modifier), one of three threads I think :dance:)

My Answer now is the same as back then.... :thumbsup:

(I still get frustrated in Blender in general though. My own fault. I've got some sorta block)

Ahh..yes it does sound familiar :)
failed to remember you were in that thread and trying that out before.
I am trying to find uses and structures that would be very hard o do in lightwave...this was probably no one of those, would have present a much more difficult example, even though I still think i is easier o use blender for
skinning..and also keep i open for procedural changes on the structure in a way that in lightwave wouldnīt be possible without redoing it from scratch.

Well, in this case I just used the rotate tool. I just move to 0,0,0xyz and hold ctrl (constrain), copy paste... I'm sure radial array probably does it just as fast/faster with less clicking... but I just prefer to do that sort of thing manually if its only a few times.

I find I can just use short cuts very quickly without really thinking. I think that is why I used the wording "spun it around", as either way you get the same result.
I just like to perform a lot of operations by hand if you know what I mean... less time going through menus. But it is depends entirely on how accurate I need the final result/how lazy I feel :)

Personally I use multiply/more/spin it

StereoMike
04-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Used metamesh for it. So quick.

prometheus
04-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Used metamesh for it. So quick.

Yes..Ivé been interested in getting metamesh, not sure how quick it is...time please:)
and not sure if you have to metamesh layer by layer...I want it to be able to metamesh several segments at once, not just two..in the same layer preferably, or in different layers...as I understood it, metamesh only worked with two segments at the time? or it may have been updated? another thing though..the connections at some jointīs seem a bit messy, I think I could do that form with lw edges, and merged points in the intersections, then just a matter of skinning it in blender, but with more cleaner joints than you got there.

erikals
04-08-2016, 09:11 PM
just adding, in the light of this trick, this could provide useful >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak5XzSRmIgU

StereoMike
04-09-2016, 03:04 AM
Yes..Ivé been interested in getting metamesh, not sure how quick it is...time please:)I added some spirals, without them I get down to your time. I used a 8 sided sphere, took one arc, radial cloned, LWCAD profiler and put a squished ball on top and bottom. Then you acitvate metamesh and click on the squished ball on top and adjust the amount of smoothing. Top done. You click on the squished ball on bottom and apply the same settings, object done.

and not sure if you have to metamesh layer by layer...I want it to be able to metamesh several segments at once, not just two..in the same layer preferably, or in different layers...as I understood it, metamesh only worked with two segments at the time? or it may have been updated?
Metamesh works on the same layer. But you could activate one part that gets smoothed into a lot of other parts, like the top getting smoothed into the 8 arcs.

another thing though..the connections at some jointīs seem a bit messy, I think I could do that form with lw edges, and merged points in the intersections, then just a matter of skinning it in blender, but with more cleaner joints than you got there.
Sometimes it looks messy, but it's awesome how quick you get watertight models from kitbashing stuff together. And when you deactivate the wireframe, who cares, it looks good on renders? ;)

prometheus
04-09-2016, 12:04 PM
I added some spirals, without them I get down to your time. I used a 8 sided sphere, took one arc, radial cloned, LWCAD profiler and put a squished ball on top and bottom. Then you acitvate metamesh and click on the squished ball on top and adjust the amount of smoothing. Top done. You click on the squished ball on bottom and apply the same settings, object done.

Metamesh works on the same layer. But you could activate one part that gets smoothed into a lot of other parts, like the top getting smoothed into the 8 arcs.

Sometimes it looks messy, but it's awesome how quick you get watertight models from kitbashing stuff together. And when you deactivate the wireframe, who cares, it looks good on renders? ;)

Thanks for the info, still not getting any insight on working with multi segments...letīs say I want to make a rib cage...starting with a capsule..then some opposite bone parts that I clone or array...I donīt think metamesh can fuse those at once by selecting the capsule then all the other parts that are to be fused and do it in one operation? since those cross bone/ribs are all different unconnected segments, I suspect you have to pick one by one and perform the operation?

Regarding clean mesh, well..I want clean meshes if I would like to further enhance model joints etc..then it wouldnīt be satisfactory to say.."it looks good on renders after the mesh fusion"..the result may lead to excluding further tweak modeling workflow that may require better meshes/joint geometry, otherwise I might just use the old metaedges/balls on the edges as I have done before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf4wM-UFaQA

StereoMike
04-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info, still not getting any insight on working with multi segments...letīs say I want to make a rib cage...starting with a capsule..then some opposite bone parts that I clone or array...I donīt think metamesh can fuse those at once by selecting the capsule then all the other parts that are to be fused and do it in one operation? since those cross bone/ribs are all different unconnected segments, I suspect you have to pick one by one and perform the operation?

Regarding clean mesh, well..I want clean meshes if I would like to further enhance model joints etc..then it wouldnīt be satisfactory to say.."it looks good on renders after the mesh fusion"..the result may lead to excluding further tweak modeling workflow that may require better meshes/joint geometry, otherwise I might just use the old metaedges/balls on the edges as I have done before.

I hope this image clarifies it a bit. Btw, metamesh works fully with subpatches too.
And on the polyflow: how often do you prepare everything, have a clean mesh, elegantly solve your problems and in the end you never touch the model a second time? It's all good to have a workflow that takes every possibility into account, but sometimes , or rather often, nobody will see it, and you won't need it. It's a bit like an insurance: 'what if...?' And that 'if' just happens so seldom that all the prepping for that rare occurence is wasted energy.
If nothing else, you could still retopo the whole thing once you're done :)

jeric_synergy
04-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Just a check: did those MM operations result in 100% quad meshes?

prometheus
04-09-2016, 06:39 PM
I hope this image clarifies it a bit. Btw, metamesh works fully with subpatches too.
And on the polyflow: how often do you prepare everything, have a clean mesh, elegantly solve your problems and in the end you never touch the model a second time? It's all good to have a workflow that takes every possibility into account, but sometimes , or rather often, nobody will see it, and you won't need it. It's a bit like an insurance: 'what if...?' And that 'if' just happens so seldom that all the prepping for that rare occurence is wasted energy.
If nothing else, you could still retopo the whole thing once you're done :)

Yes..it clarifies it a bit..but also makes me wonder more why you have one click on the top images and four click to acheive the bottom images, seems to me there are just the same..in the first images unconnected pieces, as well as the bottom images..it clarifies that it seems to work with unconnected segments in one go though.
Just donīt get it why it worked with one click in the first image...and you have to click four times in the second image?

Polyflow..itīs not about how often...or sometimes or often nobody would se the mesh flow, itīs about me having a very specific mindset where I would need the clean geometry to continue inflate bevel, or perform additional bridging etc..originating from the joined areas..you canīt possible figure out exactly what I want, but your thoughts about it wonīt work in my case.

Retopo? ho..ho..not by a million chance when dealing with such complex structure I would want..with aim for a product design, if you talk about something entirely for rendering ..that may work, but not in this case, would be extremly tedious to work with metamesh and then retopo it...it may work for some structures though, but not for some special ones, clean geo around the joints is needed to perform proper bevel inflates, bridging etc.
Your ribcage looks good after initial fusion..but thatīs not it, if you would try to go in and edit the joint sections to perform additional shaping..you would be in trouble, I am not referencing the ribcage as the final product..just a case scenario to expand on with a lot of more types of model operation to perform on it..that could lead to a completly different form.

subpatch mesh..well yes, I knew that..and thatīs fine..but that is of very low importance in some of my cases, in others..very useful.
good model sample case of the ribcage by the way.

Michael

spherical
04-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Just donīt get it why it worked with one click in the first image...and you have to click four times in the second image?

Seems to be related to the marshmallow shaped additions.

StereoMike
04-10-2016, 01:46 AM
Seems to be related to the marshmallow shaped additions.
Yeah, you need to click on each marshmallow, since metamesh works on parts that are in contact (intersecting).
Maybe metamesh isn't the answer for your described problem, but for me it opens a workflow that wasn't possible before.
When working with MM you need to keep an eye on mesh density, cause it works the best, when the intersecting parts have similar desities, it allows MM to make a smoother mesh. There are some useful options too, like having an extra polyloop around the intersecing/ blended parts. And you can move the part you blend in during the operation and get realtime feedback on the wireframe that MM comes up with.

prometheus
04-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah, you need to click on each marshmallow, since metamesh works on parts that are in contact (intersecting).
Maybe metamesh isn't the answer for your described problem, but for me it opens a workflow that wasn't possible before.
When working with MM you need to keep an eye on mesh density, cause it works the best, when the intersecting parts have similar desities, it allows MM to make a smoother mesh. There are some useful options too, like having an extra polyloop around the intersecing/ blended parts. And you can move the part you blend in during the operation and get realtime feedback on the wireframe that MM comes up with.

stereomike...

1. I do not have a problem...except from getting up early in the morning and a few other daily activities:D
2. There is no specific problem.

I just started the thread to see how folks would model certain structures that I am creating using the mix with edges in lightwave modeler and the skin modifier in blender, I could create that ribcage style much cleaner with edges and the blender skin modifier and use the scaling tools on the edges or vertices in blender to adjust the shape, the jointīs would be cleaner in blender..it wouldnīt be necessary though for just a ribcage as you self has mentioned, but if I wanted more advanced stuff..it may need cleaner geo, if I would like to have the joints have a connection look that is mechanical for instance, with hard edges and perhaps cubic forms etc..would be much easier to model with clean polyflow around the joints.

Metamesh is however definitly something for me..and also for things like the ribcage and other structures..will probably invest in it later..but we have to seperate what type and style of modeling I would want it for, which of course can be hard to describe and for you to understand..since I havenīt showcased it.

I believe you completly when you said metamesh have opened up workflow that wasnīt possible before, and I think it would do the same for me...the same goes for blender skin modifier and the edge tools in lightwave, I canīt imagine..some structures in lightwave without doing it with the help of blender skin modifier.

I would completly drool if a skin modifier ..in a stack modifier, would work with lightwave..and also having the metamesh at my hands at the same time..that would be awesome.
Whatīs cool with the blender skin modifier except for turning them on and off..moving them up or down in the stack to change effect, a subdiv modifier on the exported lightwave edges willl smooth/divide the edges curve..while applying it on the mesh level will smooth the mesh, applying a deformer would bend/twist the mesh if applied on the mesh, but on applied on the edges you will also get the mesh changed, but it mainly deforms the edge curves..which then the skin modifier keeps track on and deforms the mesh accordingly..but without deforming the actual mesh topology.

I can also go in and edit each vertice or edge in blender, move scale etc and the skin will follow...itīs a bit similar to zspere in zbrush...or like an advanced version of metaedges In lightwave as I have shown in my vid post above, if the metedges would be clean and live active while deforming and no need to freeze...then it would be like the skin modifier in blender, it would ofcourse be quite cool if 3rd powers could do a similar metamesh tool working with edges in lightwave ..and then we can throw out the old metaedges/metaballs..out of the package, and I would probably buy in to the plugin very very soon..provided it doesnīt go up too much in cost...since blender can do some of that for free.

StereoMike
04-11-2016, 12:12 PM
It's all good, blender is nice for its price aswell. I don't know, I just love LW, besides all flaws and bugs. I like to do as much in modeler as possible. Even if that means bolting wings and jet engines onto the old lady. That way it still flies fast enough to be taken seriously.

prometheus
04-11-2016, 12:16 PM
It's all good, blender is nice for its price aswell. I don't know, I just love LW, besides all flaws and bugs. I like to do as much in modeler as possible. Even if that means bolting wings and jet engines onto the old lady. That way it still flies fast enough to be taken seriously.

agreed...Id rather work in the lw environment, thatīs partly because the UI blender has..and some workflow I do not like, but some of the modifiers is great..especially this skin modifier...David Ikeda former developer for lw modeler had something similar going on when he departed..but probably developed for what is to be his own app..but I have no clue on where that is now.
Then of course in blender..the sculpting tool is quite sweet..I really miss things like that in lw.....and some particle stuff..painting of weight maps and particle emission from weightmaps, and itīs fluid engine maybe.

jeric_synergy
04-11-2016, 12:27 PM
I wish we had equivalent of the "3d cursor" in LW. Of course, good snapping would obviate most of the need, but whenever I manage to get used to the 3d cursor, I luvv it.

prometheus
04-11-2016, 02:50 PM
I wish we had equivalent of the "3d cursor" in LW. Of course, good snapping would obviate most of the need, but whenever I manage to get used to the 3d cursor, I luvv it.

Personally at my level in blender..I want the darn thing to vanish :) at least a decent option to hide it when I donīt want it to distract my attention from the model, if I would need it..an option to turn it on.