PDA

View Full Version : DP Instancer and Weight Maps

Hulk
04-05-2016, 04:00 AM
Hi,

I am trying to rotate an object instanced with dp instance based on the distance of a null.
the object has a weight map. I tried a node setup in the displacment of the object and it worked
as exspected and got displaced/rotated only according to the weight map meaning the base wasn´t affected.
I instanced the object with dp instancer and used the node tab to setup the same node network but it seems
to ignore the weight map.
the node setup works when I unplug the weight map but the thing is that every object gets rotated.
I want the base to be fix and stay put though.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

:help:

dpont
04-05-2016, 06:44 AM
At least with this screenshot, I can say that the Part Info node has nothing to do in the Instancer node editor,
for Instance Index you should use the Instance Info (DPKit/Instancer tab)
I haven't your scene and can't follow exactly what you expected,
don't know what is your Distribution Mode,
can just confirm that a Weight node works here
in a node setup connected to Enable State/Position or Rotation,
in Point, Polygon or Surface Distribution mode.

Denis.

Hulk
04-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Ok, I replaced the Part Info node with the Instancer node but still it doesn't work. It works only when I disconnect the weight map but it rotates the whole object.
I tried a simple setup with just the weight map the vector scale node and a constant vector to get rotation or position change base on the weight but it didn't seem to accep it either.

Here's my scene if u wanna take a look at it. I disconnected the weight node so it should work straight away except that the base of the instances don't stay fixed.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/1116304b12696d47a54cc0a9d8cde21920160405134332/bc4cfb

thx

dpont
04-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Please post content directly in this thread.

Denis.

Hulk
04-05-2016, 08:05 AM

dpont
04-05-2016, 08:26 AM
I check the Point Info tool in Modeler
selecting all the point of the second grid layer,
no weight map values.

Denis.

Hulk
04-05-2016, 08:32 AM
The weight map is on the Gras patch. i just wanna displace the Upper Part of the gras.

Hulk
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM

This is what Im after tested on a single gras patch in the displacment.

but I wanna Instance a lot of them. It is for a helicopter fly by scene.

I think I adressed the weight map wrong in my setup, right?

but how do I tell it to look at the weight map of the instanced object and rotate it only on the weight map?

thanks

dpont
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM
The weight map is on the Gras patch. i just wanna displace the Upper Part of the gras.

In DPInstancer and native Lightwave Instancer,
infos like position, weight values etc.. come from the instancer (the grid here), not the instance,
this weight value of the grid point below the instance,
and more generally it is not possible to get different displacement
from one Reference (the Grass patch),
the only way is to have different displaced References.

Denis.

Hulk
04-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks for helping me!

I guess I have to find a workaround.

jeric_synergy
04-05-2016, 09:47 AM
In DPInstancer and native Lightwave Instancer,
infos like position, weight values etc.. come from the instancer (the grid here), not the instance,
this weight value of the grid point below the instance,
and more generally it is not possible to get different displacement
from one Reference (the Grass patch),
the only way is to have different displaced References.
Denis.
??? So, weight map values of or on the original instance are not available to displace the instances??

Hulk
04-05-2016, 03:43 PM
As far as I understood since your "talking" to the instancer it can only read weight maps on the instancer itself.
For example you are using a plane as instancer. If u got a weight map on the plane ist can be used but if you want
to instance a cube on it and that cube got a weight map. You can't access the weight map on the cube.

jeric_synergy
04-05-2016, 04:39 PM
I can see how that might arise, but if it is so, looks like an excellent place for some feature development.

Ideally, there would be options to have instances 1) behave as they do now, and 2) respond to various subsystems, such as deformation (but others too: what?) as if each instance were a clone of the source object.

For instance, if I'm understanding, Surfacing is also limited: like you could NOT set up a swarm of objects that react to a "force field" by changing color because proximity is measured either to the instancer object (need a name for that) or the source object.