PDA

View Full Version : PC Build Specifically for New Lightwave 3D

KkAaZzOo
04-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Good day,

I am looking into Lightwave 3D for Previs as a General package. I will be using other software however those have their own dedicated PCs.

This PC main purpose will be Lightwave 3D, modeling, animation, effects and rendering.

2nd purpose will be running Adobe After Effects, Photoshop and Premiere.

I am either looking into HP build computer system or Build it myself (i do have experience building PCs in the past for gaming purposes only)

I would like to get suggestions for everything, pc, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.

I am also interested in learning what are the main resources used by lightwave, cpu, cores, caches, gpu, direct x, opengl etc.

Interested in workflow and rendering, creating the Previsualization and render everything as fast as possible.

If I am missing anything please feel free to let me know and if I remember anything I'll add later thank you in advance.

mummyman
04-04-2016, 11:09 AM
I know NOTHING about putting a pc together...nor have (yet) I know NOTHING about specs / cards / etc. There are many guys / gals here that would know TONS than me.. BUT besides asking a few of my close area friends... I found this a while back and will probably do something like this in the near future: http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-gaming-pc-build-under-500-dollars-2016 And add / subtract features as I see fit. It's one idea. Good luck! I would actually love to get advice on this as well.

hrgiger
04-04-2016, 11:20 AM
If its for lw, focus on the fastest cpu you can get and I would probably shoot for 32 gb of memory or more. Dont worry so much about the graphics card, a mid range nvidia card is fine.

Kryslin
04-04-2016, 11:20 AM
1) CPU = as many cores as you can reasonably afford. 6 or 8 cores seems to be the norm. I recommend water cooling - there are several sealed systems out there good for 10,000+ hours. Intel seems to be king in the high end, high performance arena. If you have money to burn (as in, money is no object money to burn), look at an Intel Xeon processor.
-I use an i7-960 w/ a corsair sealed water block, running at stock clock. My system's a bit on the old side, but still quite capable.

2) Memory : As much as your motherboard can hold. Certain plugins eat ram like crazy, as do large scenes in general.
-I have a full 24 GB on my MB. I've gotten the Out of Memory Error once, in 64bit Lightwave... using FiberFX.

3) GPU : For Lightwave, a higher end gaming card should do; You'll be able to drive at least 2 monitors with it. Plus, Photshop and AE should be able to take advantage of any GPU processing available, along with a fair number of lightwave plugins. If you're going to use a GPU based renderer, get as many as your MB and power supply can handle, in that case. If dual precision floating point operations on the GPU are of importance, you'll be looking at older cards, or Workstation cards.
-I'm running a GTX 960ti gaming card, and I don't do GPU rendering. I'm driving 2 24" 1920 x 1200 flat panel monitors with it. OpenGL 4.something, DirectX 11.something.

4) Power Supply : Get one rated for what you need, plus 30-50%. Modular is best, less cables to deal with inside.
- 1200W Corsair Gold.

5) Case : Get one where you can run cables behind the motherboard tray. Keeps things neat and tidy, nothing to obstruct airflow.
-Corsair Graphite 600 case here (no longer made) Plenmty of fans, can handle the push/pull combo for the water block. Also, very quiet.

6)Keyboard and Mouse. This is highly subjective. Find something the works for you. I personally hate chicklet keyboards, I need something with the look and feel of an old IBM PS/2 keyboard. I'm currently using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard, and a Saitek Cyborg RAT7 mouse. Good, durable, and I like the feel of both. Your mileage may vary.

7)Monitors : You'll need 2, or 1 really big one. 1920 x 1080-1200 for a pair, or 2560 x 1440 or 4K for a really big one should do.
-I run a pair of HP LA2405 monitors at 1920 x 1200 @. I'm regretting not getting a pair of slightly better monitors. However, studio quality LCD monitors are crazy expensive.