PDA

View Full Version : 7.5b patching probelms :(

Lewis
03-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Hi Guys !

I have one very wierd problem when i patched my 7.5 to 7.5b.

When i start 7.5b it says LW 7.5b Discovery Edition and ofcourse i get checkerboard renderings :( and 400 point save limit in modeler.

My 7.5 is FULL and not discovery so this is very odd to me. Anyone experienced that problem after patching ??

I backuped my 7.5 files before patching and when i overwrite 7.5b with old 7.5 files everything works normaly as it should be.

I tryed to delete config files and all but nothing helps it's always discovery edition AFTER patching to "b" :(. I tryed to install it again 2 times, rebooted and so on. Also it doesn't start HUB with Layout or Modeler after patching. What to do ?

HELP

My system is Win XP pro SP1, 2.53GHz P4, 1GB DDR, 3D Labs VP760 GFX and LW 7.5FULL with USB Duo dongle (nice pink color one ;)).

I don't have any virus scans or other programs in task on that machine (even don't have interent connection) , only program what's started and isn't drivers are Motherboard Monitor wich measures CPU heat and system and nothing more. So i'am lost of ideas.

Trulsi
03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Have you tried (the first thing that comes to mind) checking the contents of your license key file? Make sure it contains only the license key you got from Newtek when you registered Lightwave, and nothing else.

Lewis
03-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Just looked but i have only number in my LICENSE.KEY and as i write it works normaly with 7.5. I even tryed to overwrite it again and edit manualy but no difference. 7.5b for me says Discovery Edition and 7.5 works normal :(.

Thanks for trying.

isnowboard
03-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Lewis,
I'm on XP too. I just played it safe. I just finished patching mine successfully. I just copied my config files into a folder on my desktop. Copied my licence.key file to the same folder as backup. Disabled everything that was on in the system tray...antivirus, firewall, everything except for the clock. Nothing was running, installed the full deal, and that was it. Rebooted and everything is fine. Try the supersafe approach. :) Good luck!

Chuck
03-06-2003, 09:57 PM
I have seen one other person reporting the same problem, so far. You'll need to get in touch with our tech support staff and see if you can identify why the update does not see the dongle, or sees the license.key file as though it is an expired temp key. It may be a problematic dongle.

Lewis
03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
I have seen one other person reporting the same problem, so far. You'll need to get in touch with our tech support staff and see if you can identify why the update does not see the dongle, or sees the license.key file as though it is an expired temp key. It may be a problematic dongle.

Ohh Jesus :(

Why me :(

I just got my LW 7.5 with USB dongle 7 days ago (i used 6.5b loong time before with paralel dongle on other machine).

Why is working fine with 7.5 then ?? Does 7.5b have diferent recognition of dongle / maybe sentinel isn't recognize 7.5b?

OK i bought LW form USA and registered at NewTek Europe. We also have our distributor in Croatia. Can i report errorr here (and get replacement dongle in Croatia) or i need to report in Paris and wait days for my new dongle :( ?

Any advices Chuck, thanks ?

Chuck
03-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Lewis, did you happen to install to a new directory or to a subfolder in your LW directory? If you did either of those, then the software is sitting where it does not see a license.key file. One user pointed the installer at C:\LightWave\Programs instead of to C:\LightWave, so an entire new set of folders and files was installed into LightWave\Programs\Programs.

If you made a new folder entirely, just copy license.key into it, and you'll be fine.

novadesigns
03-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Yep Lewis same thing happened to me... for some reason the installer created a new "Lightwave" directory on C and I had to copy over all the new files into my existing "Lightwave_3D_7.5" directory... then all ran just fine.

That message about the Discovery Edition is because the LW app can't see the license key :)

Lewis
03-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Hmm, that might be helpful. I will try.

I installed Lw into my "C:/Lightwave7" directory wich i created by instalation of 7.5 on fresh new system (not updated from 6.5 su i don't have that lw_support directory and my license.key is sitting on "programs" directory and working fine untilli patch it)

I will try to copy license.key to another direcotryes buti checked and i don't have doubled programs/programs directory.

maybe i will deinstall all and try fresh new instalation of LW into C:/Lightwave as installation offers.

Chuck - Since my shortcut icon works well then LW is put in "proper" directory as 7.5 before - right

Lewis
03-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Hi again !

Jacques Madec (thanks for fast response) from Newtek Europe solved my problem. It wasn't none of those mentioned solutions here.

Somehow my Lw7.5 and Lw7.5b needs totaly diferent license.key to work ????

Chuck i can excplain you all detials if you want (PM maybe is best way), say if you want to hear whole story wich might help for finding out problem.

So now i'am working with 7.5b and hoping that my dongle is in good shape :).

Chuck
03-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi, Lewis!

Glad this is resolved - and yes, the details would be great, we may have some other folks with the same issue. PM or email would be great...

Stewpot
03-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Well I have a neww problem for you Chuck.

I have done two downloads and 5/6 install/repairs and the only thing the update installs is splinamate.p.

Done a search of my hard drives for the other plugins and cannot find them.

Any ideas??

Regards

Stewart
:confused: