PDA

View Full Version : Available UV Mapping Tools for LW?

kopperdrake
04-04-2016, 04:50 AM
I've realised the UV tools in LightWave aren't the best, but I'm looking for a way of creating a UV for something like the attached. I'd like to use a repeating texture along the length, but can't find a tool that will map this appropriately. I realise UV Spider will do one section at a time, but there must be an easier way?! Any tools out there I can add to my arsenal?

ernpchan
04-04-2016, 05:09 AM
If you modeled it via rail extrude you could have generated the uvs during the rail extrude operation.

You could try using plg uv with this by defining an edge to split along though I'm not sure it'll create a uv like uv spider. It might make something more like an unfolded pelt map.

Snosrap
04-04-2016, 07:15 AM
UV creeper by Pictrix here:https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/uv_creeper/

kopperdrake
04-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the answers guys - I'll let you know how I get on! Cheers!

JoePoe
04-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the answers guys - I'll let you know how I get on! Cheers!

Please do!!

Creeper is THE tool, but it seems to be broken (for me) in 2015.
It would be nice to know if it's just a MAC thing.....

kopperdrake
04-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Please do!!

Creeper is THE tool, but it seems to be broken (for me) in 2015.
It would be nice to know if it's just a MAC thing.....

I've just tried Creeper - it works! Took a few attemps at how to choose the geometry, but here's a screengrab of what did it. Many attempts at choosing the geometry gave me a mesh error 003 code.

Choosing a complete row of points seems to indicate the wanted split line for the UV - running the plugin with these chosen gives me the UV map you see - on LW 2015.1 (64-bit PC).

There are only 4 point polys in here - I deleted the n-gons from the ends.

JoePoe
04-04-2016, 09:20 AM
I've just tried Creeper - it works! Took a few attemps at how to choose the geometry, but here's a screengrab of what did it. Many attempts at choosing the geometry gave me a mesh error 003 code.

Choosing a complete row of points seems to indicate the wanted split line for the UV - running the plugin with these chosen gives me the UV map you see - on LW 2015.1 (64-bit PC).

There are only 4 point polys in here - I deleted the n-gons from the ends.

Thanks for getting back so quick.
I guess it's a MAC thing (fine in 11.6 no go in 2015)

Glad you got it going though.
FYI, you only need two points selected down an edge. That's enough to indicate direction.

Damn! I miss it sorely :cry:.

kopperdrake
04-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Damn! I miss it sorely :cry:.

Sorry it's a Mac thing :( Having used it I can see why you'd miss it so much!

bazsa73
04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
ABF unwrap works for me. A bit uneven though but not bad.

Snosrap
04-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Yeah ABF is really good but UV Creeper is better suited for this type of unwrap. ABF along with the PLG UV tools are actually a quite powerful duo. I do all my UVing now in LW where as before I was using Modo.

JoePoe
04-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Yeah ABF.... I usually only use it for more organic stuff. But you're right.... not too bad.
Creeper was so easy and super clean..... heavy sigh.
And PLG...... can't use that either....... heavier sigh.

And this is why I'm forced to go somewhere else.