PDA

View Full Version : Layout/Modeler 2015.3 suddenly not able to run at the same time

csquared63
04-03-2016, 04:54 PM
I don't have this issue on my desktop running Windows 10, and I didn't on my new laptop either, until just a few days ago.

I searched before posting, and tried reinstalling to an "Apps" directory as opposed to "Program Files." All are set to Run as Administrator. Interestingly, after the install I was able to run them together, but only in Discovery Mode. Once I copied my license file over the issues started.

I also disabled my firewall and still had no luck.

Is there a single solution to this or am I at the mercy of different OS configurations yielding different results?

Thanks,

Carl

spherical
04-03-2016, 09:00 PM
From the search I just performed:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145097-Layout-will-not-launch-with-modeler-running&highlight=run+layout+modeler+same+time
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148514-Dual-boot-of-layout-and-modeler-stopped-working&highlight=run+layout+modeler+same+time
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148092-Can-t-run-Layout-and-Modeler-together-Please-help!&highlight=run+layout+modeler+same+time

That's just from the first page. There may be more, as it is a recurring issue for some..

magiclight
04-04-2016, 04:36 AM
You should never have to run anything as Administrator, and doing so almost always cause problems down the road, the firewall have nothing to do with it, LW use the loopback device so it never goes through the firewall anyway.

Where did you put the license files ? did you copy them as administrator also ?

spherical
04-04-2016, 03:34 PM
You should never have to run anything as Administrator, and doing so almost always cause problems down the road,

Still waiting for the apocalypse to hit.... :)

the firewall have nothing to do with it, LW use the loopback device so it never goes through the firewall anyway.

Well, my firewall asked to allow access and set zone rules, so....

csquared63
04-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for starting a new thread!

With regard to the links ... Sorry for starting a new thread, spherical!

1. I am only running 2015.3 on this PC laptop.
2. I'll try the reinstall of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable 64-bit and report back.
3. I disabled McAfee and there was no difference. I have Hub, Modeler, and Layout as trusted in the McAfee firewall. Also, my Windows 10 desktop runs Lightwave fine under the "same" settings for install/firewall. This laptop did too until that one fateful day!

Magiclight ... I copied the license.key to the c:\users\<user>\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3\licenses. My user account has admin privileges. Dragging it to the start screen wouldn't work.

Strider_X
04-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Do you have a 3D mouse. There's a bug in the driver that causes this and the solution for me was t o keep it plug-in

csquared63
04-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Do you have a 3D mouse. There's a bug in the driver that causes this and the solution for me was t o keep it plug-in

No, thanks for the thought though!

magiclight
04-05-2016, 03:28 AM
I copied the license.key to the c:\users\<user>\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.3\licenses. My user account has admin privileges

Did you mean that you run LW as administrator or as yourself with admin credentials ?

If you run LW as administrator (the admin account) it will look for the license key in that admin users folder, not in your user folder.

Well, my firewall asked to allow access and set zone rules, so....

Yes, that is a security "feature", if you answer no LW will work fine without any problems, so the firewall rule is not needed for LW to work, it is just needed to get rid of the annoying popup all the time.

csquared63
04-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Still no luck. Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable 64-bit as someone suggeted in another thread did not work.