PDA

View Full Version : Prop rotation in however state

britepencil
04-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Looking to spin a drone propeller that is not reliant on the movement of the body. Wheel Rotator works but it has to be in motion and the prop is assigned to the body. Blade rotation of drone is not dependant of the movement of the drone.

what I would like to achieve is the drone hovering but still have the blades spinning. with Wheel Rotator if the body stops then the blades stop

any advice or examples

Thanks

ernpchan
04-03-2016, 01:19 PM
What about associating the propeller's rotation to a control null? Move the control null to control when the propeller spins and then you're not dependent on the movement of the parent body.

04-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Yeah, what Ernie says.
Follow the physics, as it were.

You may be over-thinking it.

js33
04-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Even simpler is just make sure the props pivot point is centered and simply rotate the prop when you need with the graph editor. It can't get much easier than that.

MonroePoteet
04-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Here's a very quick sample drone object and scene. The QuickDrone object has two layers: layer 1 is the DroneHull and layer 2 is the Propeller, or you could model them as separate objects. In Layout, I cloned the Propeller three times for four total, made sure they're all parented to the DroneHull and moved them into position on each of the "motor hubs". Then set their Heading rotation to be a large value at frame 120 (14,400) and offset the initial propeller rotation at frame 0 for each of them so they're out of phase.

Enabled Motion Blur in the Camera properties to make the propellers blur.

Hope it helps!

mTp

js33
04-03-2016, 07:13 PM
You can clone the prop items in layout but why not just model the prop as one item in modeler?

spherical
04-03-2016, 08:52 PM
You can clone the prop items in layout but why not just model the prop as one item in modeler?

You mean all of the propellers as one object? Otherwise, there's no point in not cloning/instancing in Layout... or I'm really not grokking.

jeric_synergy
04-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I"m really confused: since drones hover, body movement makes little sense.

I think what the OP wants is a "group throttle"-- one control that will control multiple props at the same time. This question comes up periodically: searching on "throttle" will probably yield productive results.

As a practical matter, once a small drone's (quadcopter) rotors start, they are pretty hard to see.

EDIT: I suppose it might be a Predator or something, a small airplane really, then it's just a single-item throttle.
++++++++++++++++

Here's a thread about precisely this.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133455-Need-help-with-propeller-speed-control&highlight=throttle

js33
04-03-2016, 11:31 PM
You mean all of the propellers as one object? Otherwise, there's no point in not cloning/instancing in Layout... or I'm really not grokking.

I thought he was modeling one blade of a 4 blade prop and cloning the other blades. My bad I misunderstood what he was doing. I loaded his scene to see he cloned 3 complete props from the original one.