PDA

View Full Version : Modeler Not Remembering Selected Layers

JoePoe
04-02-2016, 02:11 PM

Couple of objects open.
Object A.... layers (for example) 5,6 8,10,13,14,15 etc selected.
Switch to object B. Work for a few minutes.
Go back to object A. Only layer 1 is active. I have to hunt through and reselect.

If I go from A to B and right back to A, everything is fine.
If I go from A to B and do one or two things and go back to A, everything is fine.
I can't seem to isolate what or how many tasks makes A forget where it was.

This seems like a new behavior to me. Very annoying.
Anybody else have this?

ernpchan
04-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Can't say I've ever noticed that but I don't really go from working on one model and then to another and then back to the first model that much. There must be tools or steps that clear out the layer selection associated with an object. You could script something to snapshot the layers associated with an object.

Sensei
04-02-2016, 03:54 PM
I tried in LW v11.6.x
and layers were preserved.
So it must be LW 2015 issue.

If it's problematic in your workflow, you can always use TrueArt's LayerPresetSystem (http://modelingpack.trueart.eu) plugin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4vNnayylig

JoePoe
04-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys.
Totally not normal.

I seems to have been something wonky with that particular file. Not even a config thing.... just that one model. Still don't know why.
Copied (by hand) all the layers I needed to a new file. Back to normal behavior.

Thanks

Edit: forgot to mention that I did (I think) manage to isolate the behavior that triggered the memory loss. Seemed to happen if, when in object B, I expanded a (any) viewport. Go figure :stumped:.

jeric_synergy
04-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Oh gahd, that means it's just the tip of an iceberg....

I've been using that simple, two-set layer-set thingy, and when I remember to use it it's pretty handy. I don't remember if it works w/multiple open objects. IIRC, it does some silliness w/Surfaces to work its magic.