PDA

View Full Version : Softer Shadow Edges?

RyanJohnson
12-11-2003, 06:34 AM
I've noticed how everytime I render a scene my shadows have hard edges. Normally we don't see shadows like this. Are there any tips or tricks for softening these edges for a more realistic look. I don't know muck about lighting, but I'm working on setting up three point lighting in my scene, but those dern shadow lines...hmph!

Any advice would be helpful!

gazmon
12-11-2003, 08:46 AM
I remember someone mentioning about rotating the light 360 degrees between frames and using motion blur as a way of faking soft shadows. Not sure the exact details but when i tried it it works, theres probably a tutorial somewhere.
otherwise I know that spotlights and area ligts will produce soft shadows, point lights and distance lights dont have the option.
Hope that kinda helps
Gazza

RyanJohnson
12-11-2003, 11:07 AM
That's a great tip. Thanks for the reply. Haven't applied it yet but it makes good sense.

tburbage
12-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Ryan. Suggest a quick read of Chap 32 of the manual. It's pretty good!

Area lights will give you the best ray traced shadows, but can take some time to calculate. Shadow mapped spots are much faster but will never look *as* good -- but might be good enough.

The "spinning light trick" is a bit more complicated and can provide very good results faster than area lights, but suggest you get fully acquainted with the basic built-in solutions first.

Carm3D
12-15-2003, 05:45 AM
Rotate the light 720 degrees per frame.. not 360. Default blur length is 50% so 720 yeilds 360 in the duration of the blur.

Cutty
12-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Make your shadow casting lights spot lights. Switch that light's shadow type to "shadow map". Change the map size to 2000 or so. Change the "shadow fuzziness" to 6 or 7. And turn on Shading Noise Reduction.