PDA

View Full Version : Progressive aspect to bullit parts breaking up.

cove
03-30-2016, 03:39 PM
My suggestion is associated with bullet dynamics.
When you have a multi part object [eg a car/brick tower etc ] coverted into
bullit parts in layout the effect of a null [sphere] crashing into an object is that the whole object breaks up all at once.
I appreciate that there is a certain amount of control with the glue function/texture gradient but these features are limited.

There is a need for a progressive aspect to the way a multi part object is broken up.
For instance.
A car door is push inwards and maybe a wing panel is displaced slightly as an object crashes into the car. The car is as a
whole pushed back a bit but largely remains in tack. As apposed to the whole car breaking up all at once.
The girder framework of a building is struck by an object and its corner support
falls away followed by other girder elements falling away moments later with the main girder essembly also collapsing a few
seconds later and again as apposed to all girder objects falling down at the same time.
In order to have a more controlled/progressive effect on a multi part object i would like to suggest the following.
To have say a special null object that has features associated with it
such as variable area/distance of influence variable direction [x-x+/y-y+/+z-z+] of influence and the ability to adjust effects over time.
Example 1.
Imagine a car careering into a garage forcourt and crashes into the main support
of the roof covering the parking area the special null object would, linked to
the car, initially effect only this one main support column. As the car/null
crashes further into the main garage building then the area of infuence of the null can be enlarged to then take down the rest of
the main building as it travels through.
Example 2.
You do not need every time to have a whole object be effected either all at once or over time.
If you imagine the influence of the null only effects say an area about 20 feet up from the ground of a tall brick chimney stack showing
that area to have been exploded. [ maybe only the front area] While the base remains essencially intacked.
After the innitial explosive effect the null is seen to move progressivly up the rest of the chimney stack when under gravity it begins to
fall down and as it does fall down the null can then infuence how and to what extent the bricks break up and fall.

If you have not already updated bullit dynamics/convert to parts to have some sort of progressive aspect then i hope my suggestion will
prove to be usefull to think about and be feasable.

pinkmouse
04-02-2016, 02:59 AM
You can to a certain extent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDMHWjIu2ss

(I'd post the scene, but I can't find it right now)

That was the first ever Bullet test I did. I see where you're coming from though.

What I'd like to see, and I think would make things slightly more straightforward for all users is parameters that make sense, so 100% glue means an object never breaks, 0% friction means it doesn't stop sliding, and so on, driven by a proper nodal interface. It would be even nicer if Bullet was built into the new Deform Stack, rather than being a separate interface.

cove
04-03-2016, 07:37 AM
You can to a certain extent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDMHWjIu2ss

(I'd post the scene, but I can't find it right now)

That was the first ever Bullet test I did. I see where you're coming from though.

What I'd like to see, and I think would make things slightly more straightforward for all users is parameters that make sense, so 100% glue means an object never breaks, 0% friction means it doesn't stop sliding, and so on, driven by a proper nodal interface. It would be even nicer if Bullet was built into the new Deform Stack, rather than being a separate interface.

Thanks pinkmouse for demo and a few extra usefull suggestions.
My suggestion is basically to give the LW developers the idea of a single tool that
has several functions in bullit over and above what it provides already.
The "NEXT" Lightwave will i imagine be all about creating singular multi functional tools so the workspace is less crowded with tool options.
Hopefully more functions will be added to Bullit physics and may be there will be a version 2 of Bullit Physics in the "NEXT" lightwave or not long after the "NEXT" version is released.