PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt files from modeler - Error plug-in cyHairImport of incorrect version ???

Ztreem
03-29-2016, 04:03 PM
When I try to load my saved models I get an error that says "Error plug-in cyHairImport of incorrect version" There is no hair on my models? never heard of this plugin before?
Whats wrong? all todays work is gone. The files are over 2Gb in size. Do Lightwave have a 2GB limit in files size? I'm using 64bit windows 7 and lightwave 2015.3 64 bit.

Ztreem
03-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Thanks to Deuce at technical support for a very quick response. The problem is that the current lwo format is limited to 2Gb files... If it only could have warned me when I was in modeler so I could have split the model in several smaller files. Now I have to work all night to redo all todays work. :(

spherical
03-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Similar to this reported recently:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149844-MORE-Dynamics-Troubles&p=1466490&viewfull=1#post1466490

Ztreem
03-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Yes, very similar.

Sensei
03-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Having Windows 64 bit, or 64 bit app, does not guarantee that files with size larger that 2 GB will be supported. These things are not correlated.

It's all up to used OS I/O functions.
There are functions taking/returning 64 bit param/result, on either 32/64 bit OS.

By default everybody are using normal functions which are 32 bit length/offset.

Ztreem
03-30-2016, 12:23 AM
Seems like thats the case. This is solved in the next version of LW.

daforum
03-30-2016, 04:22 AM
Just throwing in a suggestion...
Do you know anyone with 3ds studio max?
Does it load in .lwo with a bigger file size limit?

I'm just putting out ideas as i dont know what else to do...

Ztreem
03-30-2016, 04:46 AM
Just throwing in a suggestion...
Do you know anyone with 3ds studio max?
Does it load in .lwo with a bigger file size limit?

I'm just putting out ideas as i dont know what else to do...

I have access to 3ds max but have not tried it. I have tried C4D and Rhino3D. The problem is not loading, the problem is saving. It stops to write any information to the file as it reaches 2Gb, so alot of information is lost and the file structure get incomplete and results in a corrupt file.

spherical
03-30-2016, 05:35 AM
I have access to 3ds max but have not tried it. I have tried C4D and Rhino3D. The problem is not loading, the problem is saving. It stops to write any information to the file as it reaches 2Gb, so alot of information is lost and the file structure get incomplete and results in a corrupt file.

I believe that the intent, here, is to offer a possible path to saving the data by running it through an application that supports a larger bit-depth and splitting the model into two or three parts, so as to enable salvaging the data, then bring those back into LightWave and move on.

Ztreem
03-30-2016, 06:43 AM
I believe that the intent, here, is to offer a possible path to saving the data by running it through an application that supports a larger bit-depth and splitting the model into two or three parts, so as to enable salvaging the data, then bring those back into LightWave and move on.

Yes, but as I said the file is already corrupt so there is no data to save. If you have 4Gb of data and only save 2Gb of it, there is no application in the World that can recover the lost 2Gb of data.
The file is corrupt so not many apps will even open it. Rhino opened it but the data presented was just crap, but I've done the changes to my model for the third time now, so it is solved.

I still think that if LW had warned me that I saved files bigger than maximum file size allowed, then this would never had happend.

daforum
03-30-2016, 08:28 AM

Exactly!

Glad to hear you have solved the problem Ztreem :thumbsup:

jwiede
03-31-2016, 05:39 AM
I still think that if LW had warned me that I saved files bigger than maximum file size allowed, then this would never had happend.

Poison file generation is worse than an appcrash. User data is inherently lost. It's a very serious sev/pri issue type.

Ztreem
03-31-2016, 08:53 AM
Poison file generation is worse than an appcrash. User data is inherently lost. It's a very serious sev/pri issue type.

I totally agree.