PDA

View Full Version : Instancing and Modeler Splines

jeric_synergy
03-28-2016, 12:56 AM
SPLINE CONTROL was updated to allow the use of "Modeler Splines", eg Curves, directly in Layout without creation of a virtual spline (hierarchy of items).

The INSTANCER documentation says Instances can be distributed along a "Motion Control spline", but in my tests the Curve object was not recognized by Instancer.

I think this is a case where a feature (Spline Control) has been updated and related documentation, but certainly not direct (Instancer documentation), has not yet caught up with the newer reality.

Can someone confirm that the Instancer does not react to LWM Curves?

Thanks.

prometheus
03-28-2016, 07:22 AM
modeler curves work for me...
created a spline in modeler 2015.3 with spline draw saved it ..send to layout, in the setup tab,edit, curve to spline.

then created a box in layout, then selected the spline enter object properties and add an instance generator, select the box as to be instanced, select type spline in the instance tab..
you have to set some seperation ...or else it just looks like there is only one box in that spline system.

perhaps you added the instancer on the curve visibility item?

jeric_synergy
03-28-2016, 12:09 PM
SC will work with CURVES unconverted to "virtual splines" --it was an enhancement to the original. Instancing will work with virtual splines but apparently not just a raw Curve.

Or so it seems here.

Thomas Leitner
03-29-2016, 12:15 AM
SC will work with CURVES unconverted to "virtual splines" --it was an enhancement to the original. Instancing will work with virtual splines but apparently not just a raw Curve.

Or so it seems here.

here it works!
ciao
Thomas

jeric_synergy
03-29-2016, 12:23 AM
( dammit! ) Thanks for checking on that, Thomas: back to the drawing board for me. :compbeati

I hope Farhad is finding my stumbling about inspirational..... :cry:

jeric_synergy
03-29-2016, 12:36 AM
OK, tried for the simplest possible setup, still not seeing it. Have packaged up the scene, please have a look at it. No doubt it's some bone-headed pilot error.

Thanks.

Thomas Leitner
03-29-2016, 02:26 AM
Hi,
it works here...

...ok. It seems there is a bug. If you have used the spline as spline control once, it also works as instance generator (even if you have removed spline control). Weird.

ciao
Thomas

prometheus
03-29-2016, 07:30 AM
doesnīt work here either.

Just noted..something not exactly on topic but related, I was messing with copying edges from fixed straight angled geometry, and had a go, unfortunatly the instancer will only recognize the pattern I made as vertices, so any instance will only be placed on any divided angle..and not on the actual edge line, a workaround would be to split the edges into a lot of point divisions with art spheres new divide ege plugin..but that will only yield static points, another way is to add particles to the edges, that will make any instances easy to distribute, but I donīt see anyway to control itīs motion to flow along the edges..that would be cool if we could do that.

Perhaps with some node wizard trick ala bryphi, not sure...to bad particles canīt recognize any poly edge as a vector direction to follow.

jeric_synergy
03-29-2016, 09:34 AM
...ok. It seems there is a bug. If you have used the spline as spline control once, it also works as instance generator (even if you have removed spline control). Weird.
ciao
Thomas
THANKS for checking.

Just getting this straight: SO, if the spline has been used as a motion control spline once, it will then work in the Instancer? (?????? :devil: ?????? :cursin: :cursin: :compbeati )

Sounds like an initialization problem. The good news is those are easy to fix, usually: the bad news is, LWG hasn't been exactly frequent with bugfix releases.

Bless you for finding a work-around! :thumbsup: