PDA

View Full Version : Noob: UV mapping/ no cubical?? / best approach? /going to Unity

jeric_synergy
03-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Although I'm ancient, I rarely use UV mapping, 'cuz that's how I (don't) roll. But am starting a Unity project and thought perhaps it would be good to nail down textures using UVs, since they obviously can't be native LWOs (will be either FBX or OBJ, methinks), so, here's the question.

Made a 'room', 10x3x10 box, flipped all, selected the 'walls', created a UV map. Here's the result from LWM:
Simple as can be.

However, I wondered: is there a way to get, without a lot of fussing about, the UV map to have the 4 wall rectangles to be in a contiguous line? Obviously I could move&scale them about manually, but there's this computer right here.....

(Is it just me, or does "Unity" sound like some sort of cult?)

erikals
03-27-2016, 03:58 PM
one method >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvR-y_0YHs

also see other UV mapping vidz >
https://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/search?query=UV

However, I wondered: is there a way to get, without a lot of fussing about, the UV map to have the 4 wall rectangles to be in a contiguous line?
without snapping in the UV view? Nope. NAFAIK.

prometheus
03-27-2016, 04:02 PM
rotate the object 90 degree in the front view before you use atlas uv map..perhaps? and zero value in the relative gap size...maybe, you can rotate the object back after that without messing up the uv.

If what you want is like the image attached?

Eh..probably not, just realized they are not continues line as you want...going from wall edge to wall edge.

jeric_synergy
03-27-2016, 04:12 PM
Not quite: what I want is for the CORNERS of the room to be contiguous: of course, it would "waste" a lot of UV space, but conceptually is simpler and more intuitive.

Imagine if you ran around the inside of the room with a spray can, painting a contiguous line on the walls. ( You bastard! ;) ) That's how I'd like the UVs to be laid out. --I was surprised to see there wasn't a "cubical projection" type in the options (!?!?!). That would at approach more closely what I'm thinking.

prometheus
03-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I know what you ment, you can edit the map in the uv texture window and manually place the segments to meet up continous edge to edge instead of stacking them as they are now.

there is a cubic mapping option a bit hidden, if you use texture guide, there is a cubic uv mapping option there, though it doesnīt show until you drop the tool and check the newly created map.

prometheus
03-27-2016, 04:26 PM
If you simply apply the atlas mapping, then go to the uv texture view, select one wall, use snap drag tool with connected point mode activated, so you simply drag and snap those wall segments to eachother..that may be one way to edit the map as you want...the tricky part may be to get each segment being placed in proper order.

jeric_synergy
03-27-2016, 04:36 PM
As stated, I know I can manually do it: the question is, how can I avoid this totally mechanical busywork?

prometheus
03-27-2016, 04:48 PM
As stated, I know I can manually do it: the question is, how can I avoid this totally mechanical busywork?

itīs not much of fuzz for simple objects, but I get your point, it should be a one button click.

I thought uv spider or uv creeper should be able to do it, not sure though.

erikals
03-27-2016, 06:35 PM
I thought uv spider or uv creeper should be able to do it, not sure though.
in a loop-able length, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJEtM8ehQ4

djwaterman
03-27-2016, 08:33 PM
PX UV Creeper, first add an edge loop running through the walls for UV creeper to work, you can dissolve that edge loop after the UV is created.

erikals
03-27-2016, 11:44 PM
but again, if you are making a room, i'd use my method in post #2