PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave. Cuda and Open cl ?.

cove
03-26-2016, 03:42 PM
I understand the advantages of having an Nvidia cuda card especially in relation to
my Poser Pro 11 software [rendering should be faster].
Then there is "Open cl" which my graphics card has as standard [AMD FirePro W5000].
Any software that is enabled to take advantage of Open cl will see enhancments but im
not shore what sort of enhancements there will be with Open cl.
Will Open cl just improve rendering speed or will it also improve preview scene rotation etc ?.
I appreciate that Lightwave is not yet enabled to take advantage of either cuda or
Open cl but hopefully Lightwave "Next" will be in the not to distant future.
Thanks for any info on Open cl given in reply.

prometheus
03-27-2016, 09:40 AM
cuda for rendering.. I donīt think they are trying to implement it in any near future, to costly I think in terms of sacrifying other stuff is what I have heard.

Lightwave takes advantage of cuda when using fluid dynamics for simulations though...if you are using the external turbulenceFD.

OpenCl..do not know unfortunatly..someone else has to fill that in.

m.d.
03-27-2016, 01:40 PM
currently only CUDA is accelerated in lightwave plugins TFD and octane.....although octane will have AMD rendering in the very near future, it is not openCL....but some type of proprietary CUDA interface otoy developed (AFAIK)

DaVinci, RedCine, PPRO, AE and Fusion all will make use of openCL or CUDA.....the safer bet for support is 90% of the time with CUDA

cove
03-27-2016, 02:48 PM
cuda for rendering.. I donīt think they are trying to implement it in any near future, to costly I think in terms of sacrifying other stuff is what I have heard.

Lightwave takes advantage of cuda when using fluid dynamics for simulations though...if you are using the external turbulenceFD.

OpenCl..do not know unfortunatly..someone else has to fill that in.

Thanks for yor comment.
Yes running turbulenceFD with a cuda card makes it fly i believe.
Some high end software are configured to take advantage of Open cl which apparently makes there software run better but just cannot find out what the improvments are.
Smithmicro/tech [Poser Pro 11] developers have told me that they are working to make there software compatable with Open cl but did not elaberate on what improvements there will be nor could they give a time that they expect to provide an update.
So Open cl compatability seems to be the way to go. Who knows maybe Lightwave NEXT will be Open cl compatable in the future.
As you say maybe someone else could give further info on the benifits of Open cl.

cove
03-27-2016, 02:58 PM
currently only CUDA is accelerated in lightwave plugins TFD and octane.....although octane will have AMD rendering in the very near future, it is not openCL....but some type of proprietary CUDA interface otoy developed (AFAIK)

DaVinci, RedCine, PPRO, AE and Fusion all will make use of openCL or CUDA.....the safer bet for support is 90% of the time with CUDA

Thanks for some more info.
Did not know about the octane/AMD developement so will keep an eye on that.