PDA

View Full Version : Normal Editing - Vmaps? Anime Characters

Julez4001
03-26-2016, 07:36 AM
A while back we were discussing this technique that was reveal at GDC 2015 last year where they presentation the behind the scenes R & D of Guilty Gear XD 2D look with 3D Models (they used Softimage XSI).

Daniel Kreuter describes two techniques in his youtube video using Blender.
This stops swimming shadow and locks them for that 2D Anime look.

Didn't we have a vertex editor back in the day?
Also they are transferring the normal information from one state to rendered one to achieve this effect.
IS that possible in LIghtwave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSlud8DFXEk&feature=player_embedded

Kevbarnes
03-26-2016, 06:05 PM
This stops swimming shadow and locks them for that 2D Anime look.
Didn't we have a vertex editor back in the day? Also they are transferring the normal information from one state to rendered one to achieve this effect. IS that possible in LIghtwave

Not sure if this is what your looking for but this appears to be able to adjust the normal CelShade

DC_NormalDrag (Node Plugin)
DC_NormalDragMulti (Node Plugin)

http://d-creation.sakura.ne.jp/plugin/dc_normaldrag/index_english.htm

I've not used it myself yet - just had a play but not sure if I'm applying it correctly

Julez4001
03-26-2016, 10:51 PM
BOOM! You found it. That's exactly what it does
I just used the sample it came with.
See the image.

Kevbarnes
03-27-2016, 06:07 PM
BOOM! You found it. That's exactly what it does. I just used the sample it came with.

I've had it for some time and tried to use it for some characters, but it seemed more work to create weight-maps for
contours.... so I ended up getting the cartoon look that I liked using a gradient colour on incidence, linked to a light which was parented into the character rig. The light was just used to control of the shading

examples of incidence shaded gradient :

133140 133141 133142

so I would be interested to see any examples you make with it

kev