PDA

View Full Version : Lighwave aspect ratio on 21:9 monitor ?

TheLexx
03-24-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm thinking of buying an ultrawide 21:9 monitor, with the idea that Lightwave can run on one side and some tutorials can run on the other side, on the same screen, but from what I've seen Lightwave is more happy on a 4:3 monitor (where reference images appear in an undistorted correct aspect ratio). Could anyone please comment on any potential problems if Lightwave is run on a 21:9 monitor (eg will it automatically stretch) ? Thanks.

ConjureBunny
03-24-2016, 01:25 PM
I seriously doubt it will have any issues with that. What's the resolution?

-Chilton

TheLexx
03-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Hi ConjureBunny, the resolution on the model I am currently considering is 2560x1080.

ConjureBunny
03-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Really, the only thing I can think of is that you can't spawn MORE windows, which would be awesome on longer monitors.

Here's Modeler and Layout stretched pretty thin, and I'm not having any problems with them.

-Chilton

TheLexx
03-24-2016, 01:51 PM
That looks good, and seems to be no distortion, so I'm guessing you could resize as needed without distortion too. Thanks for the advice on not being able to spawn more windows, as I was wondering how that worked. I think in a William Vaughan book he said he uses two monitors for modelling. My original idea was to have three windows - a head tutorial video, and separate LW front and side view window.

RebelHill
03-24-2016, 01:53 PM
from what I've seen Lightwave is more happy on a 4:3 monitor (where reference images appear in an undistorted correct aspect ratio).

eh, what?

Ive never seen images or icons or anything else appear "aspect distorted" on monitors of different aspect, at least no unless the display options in the OS were set to output an aspect different from that of the monitor itself.

Snosrap
03-24-2016, 02:00 PM
AFAIK all monitors have square pixels. So there would never be a distortion problem no matter what the aspect ratio. Personally I find 16:10 monitors the best for doing any kind of work - LW or otherwise.

CaptainMarlowe
03-24-2016, 02:13 PM
I have a 21/9 monitor, everything's fine. I have enough Space for a lot of Windows, or a long timeline when using Final Cut Pro. Or a lot of place for nodal graphs in substance designer. I'm very happy with this size of monitor.

TheLexx
03-24-2016, 02:22 PM
RebelHill, I currently use an old Dell 1280 x 1024 and wasn't really sure, but it's slowly becoming clear, thanks. Another idea was to have a projector showing on a room wall and work Lightwave on that. The reason for these crazy ideas is that I'm a bit jaded, including my eyes, but enthusiastic. Realistically, I'm looking down the barrel of steep learning curves, many long hours at a screen and tens of thousands of mouse clicks, so I was looking at any way to be comfortable and increase the quality over time. Also thanks Snosrap, CaptainMarlowe.

JonW
03-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Don't skimp on monitor quality. Buy the best one you can afford. You will probably have it for 10 years so amortised over this period price is not really an issue.

24" + 2 x 30" Dell:

& calibrate with a Spyder or similar.

spherical
03-24-2016, 09:21 PM
As others have cited, overall monitor aspect has no impact. For flexibility, and to divorce the monitor aspect completely, just don't maximize the LightWave main window. Keep it in a floating window and size to taste.