PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to use 3D connexion spacemouse in Lightwave these days?

GlassDPM
03-22-2016, 10:56 AM
I love my spacemouse and I recently purchased the CAD mouse from 3D connexion.

Unfortunately, the new CAD mouse requires up to date drivers to work, so therefore my Spacemouse DOESN'T work with LW anymore. Do I have to choose which one I'm going to use and revert to old drivers? I purchased both to be used together, as they are left and right hand workflow tools, to be used simultaneously.

Any advice? Thanks in advance

BeeVee
03-23-2016, 01:34 AM
So the new version of 3DxWare isn't supported by LightWave? I have a SpaceMouse that I use with my Logitech MX Master successfully, but those are different drivers obviously.

B

GlassDPM
05-03-2016, 07:46 AM
No, there doesn't appear to be any support or response from Lightwave about this. There's even a new version of the 3Dconnexion software now, and the problem persists. I believe this has turned out to be a waste of money because they market the devices support with lightwave

gerry_g
05-03-2016, 09:50 AM
think the problem is LW one, was a panel for set up in LW11x and it worked (sort of) but panel has been pulled in 2015x so no longer configurable, don't know if it's different on Windows I'm on a Mac and can still use it with Modo just fine, just not with LW

jeric_synergy
05-03-2016, 10:28 AM
!!! Really? --I guess I can tell eBay to quit showing me them then. :(

BeeVee
05-03-2016, 11:13 AM
think the problem is LW one, was a panel for set up in LW11x and it worked (sort of) but panel has been pulled in 2015x so no longer configurable, don't know if it's different on Windows I'm on a Mac and can still use it with Modo just fine, just not with LW

That's not true Gerry! The panel was just separated from the other bits of Preferences (it's now in the Edit menu > Navigation Preferences) and given far more control.

B

gerry_g
05-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Ah-ha so that's why I couldn't find it, does not list any devices for use though and despite updating drivers, power cycling devise, restarting computer, re adding LW to device list I still see nothing and get nothing, so yes support has been dropped, bummer

BeeVee
05-03-2016, 03:15 PM
It really hasn't. I can use my Space Explorer and SpaceMouse (laptop) just fine.

B
PS. Here's a GIF of me using it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2807104/2016-05-03_23-17-49.gif

jeric_synergy
05-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Ah-ha so that's why I couldn't find it, does not list any devices for use though and despite updating drivers, power cycling devise, restarting computer, re adding LW to device list I still see nothing and get nothing, so yes support has been dropped, bummer
Sounds like a CS issue.

jwiede
05-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Sounds like a CS issue.

You meant LW CS?

I can replicate the issue here, 100% reliably. Latest 3DX 10.x drivers for Mac (10.x isn't remotely "new", BTW) installed, reboot, verify 3DX works in MODO, C4D, etc. Launch Modeler, open Navigation panel, no devices available. Launch Layout, open Navigation panel, no devices available. LW2015.3 Mac64 on OSX 10.11.4. LW11.6.3 doesn't recognize the 3DX devices with 10.x drivers either.

Sorry, BeeVee, but AFAICT, 3DX on Mac with remotely recent drivers (as in, _any_ 10.x drivers) doesn't actually work with LW 2015.3 (or 11.6.3). For reference, the 3DX V10.x drivers released circa late 2013 / early 2014.

jeric_synergy
05-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Oh, I'm not disputing the bug. If they're claiming support, possibly simply thru inertia, they need to be notified. If notified, they can tell us what the actual situation is. It'd be very disappointing if they knew and hadn't told us. Disappointing but not all that surprising.

Spacemouse users are, I'm guessing, fairly rare.

BeeVee
05-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Yes, sorry. I have been testing under Windows, where my meece work. I didn't check on the Mac too. I have let the developers know, but bug reports should be made. It's the only way there's documentary proof of a problem rather than just a quickly-forgotten Skype chat or similar.

B
PS. Also, just to point something else out. If you are having problems, it's best to be precise about the machine you are having a problem on as well. It took until post 10 of this thread for anyone to even mention the Mac. It's not like this thread was in a Mac-specific section and while I should have twigged when Gerry complained since I know he's a Mac user through and through, diagnosing a problem isn't made easier when all the facts aren't presented. It's like shouting about instancing not working (without saying you only have LightWave [8]).

lardbros
07-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Works fine here on PC, must be a Mac only issue.
Log it as a bug, as no one I've heard has ever mentioned this as an issue. Not heard anyone else moan at all.

Dexter2999
07-18-2016, 03:27 PM
FWIW "latest drivers" is NOT always a fix. Sometimes you may find rolling back to an earlier driver (known to be compatible) is the fix.

Just sayin', software made in 2015 may work with drivers available in 2015. No guarantees on compatibility with drivers after that point. (And that isn't just LW.)

jwiede
07-18-2016, 08:19 PM
(ugh -- ignore accidental post)

jwiede
07-18-2016, 08:23 PM
FWIW "latest drivers" is NOT always a fix. Sometimes you may find rolling back to an earlier driver (known to be compatible) is the fix.

Just sayin', software made in 2015 may work with drivers available in 2015. No guarantees on compatibility with drivers after that point. (And that isn't just LW.)

As was pointed out above, the 10.x drivers (begin circa 2013/2014) don't work with Lightwave, the only drivers that work with Lightwave are _much_ older than 10.x drivers.

So no, LW is not compatible with what were "current" drivers for 3DConnexion in 2015, at least on Mac.

Lard, are you saying the 10.x-era 3DConnexion drivers ARE working for you with LW on Windows, or are you using pre-10.x-era drivers?

rustythe1
07-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Did you unplug the device before installing the driver? did you remove the old driver, did you then plug the device back in after installing the driver,
most of these types of problems can just be simple user errors (not all the time, but most) not sure how you do it on mac but on windows when this sort of thing happens you need to remove all installed usb drivers as when you first install a device, windows will assign a specific port to that driver, if you then unplug and plug into another port the driver is installed again, so now you have two instances, if this happens with lightwave open it could still be configured to look at the old port, if you keep moving the device because you thought there was a problem the problem just gets worse, so best option is to remove all usb devices from device manager, remove all driver software, then install new driver, Then plug your device in, (I used to work in security industry and nearly all usb device communication problems were for the same reason)
I have the latest drivers and they work fine, also you can use the custom driver if your software dose not have 3dx support, to check if the 3dx mouse should be working open lightwave, then open the 3dx interface, it should list the currently compatible application i.e it will say modeller or layout, you can change the settings for speed etc here instead of in lightwave

pinkmouse
07-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Rusty, you're talking Windoze, he's on Mac. ;)

BokadCastle
07-19-2016, 04:38 PM
I have both SpaceExplorer and CadMouse in Win10 as a left and right hand combo - no problems, both work with latest driver from 3Dconnexion 3DxWare 10 for Windows 64bit.

Sorry that should be SpaceNavigator.

lardbros
07-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Lard, are you saying the 10.x-era 3DConnexion drivers ARE working for you with LW on Windows, or are you using pre-10.x-era drivers?

Yep, I'm the very latest drivers, and both my Space Navigator and my SpaceMouse Pro work perfectly in LW 2015.

Oh... and at work, my ancient SpacePilot even still works with the latest 10.x drivers despite saying it's not even supported by the drivers. Still works fine though!