PDA

View Full Version : How export Bullet Dinamics to FBX?

intssed
03-22-2016, 08:22 AM
I have made MDD file from Bullet Dinamics:

1. Object Properties -> Motion Designer Baker
2. Clear Bullet Dinamics
2. MD Reader -> Import Match-By Point Order
3. Export FBX -> Animation

When open FBX motion not in here.

What is right way?

Thanks!

intssed
03-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Now I have check 'Bake Motion Envelopes' but nothing is changed. Keyframes is created but without values.

mummyman
03-22-2016, 01:30 PM
I don't believe FBX exports MDD/deformation data. Can you use .abc (Alembic?) I could be wrong though

vector
03-23-2016, 12:12 AM
When I load a fbx to LW I have to load separately the mdd files... I guess you should do the same thing "in the other side" ;)

intssed
03-23-2016, 05:09 AM
Thanks for answer, vector!

If loaded MDD seperately FBX all work`s fine.
My question is - are FBX can save, store more complicated motion inside himself?
Simple motion with keyframing like rotation and movement XYZ exported good.

Greenlaw
03-23-2016, 01:42 PM
As mentioned above, FBX doesn't support that kind of animation data. You need to use MDD, Geocache or Alembic.

intssed
03-24-2016, 06:20 AM
Thanks, Greenlaw, vector, mummyman!

Maybe through the point movement (animation) is possible adapt?
In that tutorial more complicated animation MDD Export as Lightwave Point Cache: http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/140804619644/tutorial-creating-an-animated-ocean-scene-in

Greenlaw
03-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Normally, you would use whichever point cache system is compatible with your destination program. What program are you intending to send the animation to? If it's an AutoDesk product, I think you'll probably want to use Geometry Cache. That's is for only the animation though. For the geometry, you can use OBJ or FBX (or even LWO if the program supports it.) If you're destination is a game engine, I imagine it depends on which one (sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about game engines.)

In any case, I don't think FBX supports point displacement data, just camera, light, mesh, shading, and standard transformation data. For point displacement you need to use MDD, Geocache, or Alembic.

intssed
04-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Greenlaw!

jwiede
04-03-2016, 04:16 PM
In any case, I don't think FBX supports point displacement data, just camera, light, mesh, shading, and standard transformation data. For point displacement you need to use MDD, Geocache, or Alembic.

Actually, looking at the OP, I'm not sure there's any point-level deformation occurring -- it appears to be an RBD sim not SBD sim. There's a parts-type object distributing its parts over other objects, but the parts themselves don't appear to be deforming. I think part of the problem here is that the OP captured the parts objects' motion into MDD, which LW necessarily* treats as deformation data.

If, instead, the individual parts' dynamics-driven object motions were baked as per-part PSR keyframes, the resultant animation should be exportable by LW using FBX.

*: Using MDD for storing object-level PSR data is possible, but the resultant per-vertex data redundancy is horribly wasteful and inefficient. The (serious) added complexity of processing MDD data to detect and extract object-level PSR anim isn't practically worthwhile. LW's code is less complex, and thus more efficient, by always treating MDD as deformation-type data.