PDA

View Full Version : Replace GFX with faster one

RadioErewan
03-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Will TCXD 460 start after GFX 640 -> 750Ti replacement?
I have second boot with Premiere for fast postprocess. Would like to have something faster for this task.

Regards

Paris MkVI
03-21-2016, 07:13 AM
Friend, if I am reading correctly, it sounds like you have installed Adobe Premiere Pro on your TriCaster system, and are asking about replacing the video card.

If you want your TriCaster to still operate reliably, these are two things you should not do.

Newtek strongly advises that we view the TriCaster as a dedicated video device, so to speak, not a Windows computer for additional purposes. It is very likely that, if you install other software and change hardware, your TriCaster will no longer operate reliably.

Instead, go for a second computer for your Adobe software suite.

RadioErewan
03-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Friend, if I am reading correctly, it sounds like you have installed Adobe Premiere Pro on your TriCaster system, and are asking about replacing the video card.

If you want your TriCaster to still operate reliably, these are two things you should not do.

Newtek strongly advises that we view the TriCaster as a dedicated video device, so to speak, not a Windows computer for additional purposes. It is very likely that, if you install other software and change hardware, your TriCaster will no longer operate reliably.

Instead, go for a second computer for your Adobe software suite.
I have second boot option (second instance Windows system disk is in external bay). Hardware is common for two installations.
I know how Tricaster system should be threated to work properly, its my fifth tc.
Also, have no problems with another computer. Most of my work is done on the field. I need sometimes to do fast “begin/end cut” to release archive to my client. Anything I do not have to cary in my car is a bonus.
Previously I have used SpeedEdit, but it is not h264 compliant and I need something better.
Anyway, question is still valid. Will Tricaster start with GFX 750Ti instead of GFX 640?
Could test it by myself, but I need to buy it.

blur494
03-21-2016, 11:35 AM
I haven't seen anyone do it before but I am interested in the results. Also I can say with 99% certainty it is not condoned by newtek. Does the stock PSU even have the required power connectors for such a card? If I remember right the 750 has aa 8 pin and a 6 pin power connector.

RadioErewan
03-21-2016, 12:55 PM
I haven't seen anyone do it before but I am interested in the results. Also I can say with 99% certainty it is not condoned by newtek. Does the stock PSU even have the required power connectors for such a card? If I remember right the 750 has aa 8 pin and a 6 pin power connector.

MoBo is common ASRock, also PS is "stock". Comparison of power requirements is promising: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications vs http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications
The only fear is in TC software security system. SDD is marked with my system specs.

I have found one low profile 750TI card in 120 price range. With DDR5 instead of DDR3 in my TCXD. Could be real speed boost in terms of video rendering.

blur494
03-21-2016, 02:09 PM
The direct power requirements are not the concern here, generally cards are more efficient now. Its the way they get supplemental power, most GTX cards pull from the PCIe Lane plus 2 extra connectors. They do often come with molex adapters but I don't think there are 4 spare male molex connectors in the Tricaster.

RadioErewan
03-21-2016, 02:22 PM
The direct power requirements are not the concern here, generally cards are more efficient now. Its the way they get supplemental power, most GTX cards pull from the PCIe Lane plus 2 extra connectors. They do often come with molex adapters but I don't think there are 4 spare male molex connectors in the Tricaster.

Not this one: https://www.zotac.com/pl/product/graphics_card/geforce--gtx-750-ti-lp-2gb

RadioErewan
03-21-2016, 02:31 PM
And another one.
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Graphics-Cards-N750TI-2GD5TLP/dp/B00SOXMPJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458592076&sr=8-1&keywords=ZT-70606-10M

BryanDavies
03-22-2016, 09:57 AM
We would not advise self upgrading your system.

ZachSchuster
03-23-2016, 11:18 AM
This has bad idea written all over it.

JonRaidel
03-24-2016, 01:10 PM
i want him to do it. even though everyone is telling him not to. i want to watch the world burn.... ;)

RadioErewan
03-24-2016, 02:26 PM
We would not advise self upgrading your system.

Will it start w/o SN verification problems (I know it is risky and not covered by NewTek support)?

blur494
03-24-2016, 05:59 PM
i want him to do it. even though everyone is telling him not to. i want to watch the world burn.... ;)

Im with you.

RadioErewan
03-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Im with you.

C'mon! This is not irreversible. TCXD is just PC computer with great software and few additional input devices. System might become unstable. Easy to rollback.

Regards

kennb
03-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Honestly I'd leave the hardware alone. Makes calling in a warranty replacement a lot easier later on.

BryanDavies
03-29-2016, 02:47 AM
Will it start w/o SN verification problems (I know it is risky and not covered by NewTek support)?

There is quite a lot that COULD go wrong, which is why I would not do this....

PIZAZZ
03-29-2016, 08:50 AM
For all the time and effort wasted to figure out if it MAY work... You could just buy a powerful Laptop and use it for editing.

RadioErewan
03-31-2016, 10:37 AM
For all the time and effort wasted to figure out if it MAY work... You could just buy a powerful Laptop and use it for editing.

I have powerfull laptop. It is still another machine. So I have to transfer files to start editing. 3.5'' disks are not laptop best friends. Second partition with Windows is best solution on location. I am using second disk with Premiere for long time, and had no special problems. When time matters it is optimal from my point of view.

I understand your fears. I had technical question, not workflow related.

Regards

Shawn Farrell
04-02-2016, 01:49 PM
buy a laptop and, just a good priced laptop to do your editing while you do live production and NOT risk your TriCaster or stress your TriCaster?

kanep
04-02-2016, 03:17 PM
I have powerfull laptop. It is still another machine. So I have to transfer files to start editing. 3.5'' disks are not laptop best friends. Second partition with Windows is best solution on location. I am using second disk with Premiere for long time, and had no special problems. When time matters it is optimal from my point of view.

I understand your fears. I had technical question, not workflow related.

Regards

You can use NDI IsoCorder to record the output of your TriCaster directly to your laptop. When you stop recording, the file is ready to edit, no file transfer required!

I'm using this exact process to create Tip Jar videos, TriCaster output right into SpeedEdit on my laptop.

RadioErewan
04-10-2016, 04:55 PM
ISOCODER is available in Advanced Edition only.

JPulera
04-11-2016, 07:56 AM
The latest Standard Edition 2_5 software does send out ONE stream of NDI, using NETWORK option in TriCaster Output Configuration panel. Then just run the free IsoCorder app on laptop.

With AE v2, then you would have up to 4 configurable NDI outputs.

Thanks

Jeff