PDA

View Full Version : Alembic realflow mesh sequence crashes LW

squarewulf
03-20-2016, 06:08 PM
So I have a realflow mesh sequence of .abc files. When I load the realflow render kit plugin and import the mesh under OpenVDB Hybrido Mesh, I select the file hit add and LW immediately crashes. I've used realflow .bin files in the past but have never attempted any import with the new version of realflow. Anyone run into this problem?

rustythe1
03-20-2016, 06:46 PM
not used it myself, but it looks to me, OpenVDB is a volumetric language, and as far as I am aware you would not be able to import volumetric from another source into lightwave. from what I understand I think the only way is to import it as a .Bin or OBJ sequence (think you need to change it to a surface mesh or just a particle export)

jwiede
03-20-2016, 07:32 PM
not used it myself, but it looks to me, OpenVDB is a volumetric language, and as far as I am aware you would not be able to import volumetric from another source into lightwave. from what I understand I think the only way is to import it as a .Bin or OBJ sequence (think you need to change it to a surface mesh or just a particle export)

I believe he's suggesting that "OpenVDB Hybrido Mesh" is an import option offered by the RFRK plugin, and if so, it would be responsible for parsing that info and rendering it. RFRK definitely can handle such inputs, it's a full volumetric engine within itself, unlike the regular RF plugin.

m.d.
03-20-2016, 07:49 PM

openVDB can be used for liquids as well as volumetrics....not as common but Houdini does it internally, as does realflow.

m.d.
03-20-2016, 07:53 PM
So I have a realflow mesh sequence of .abc files. When I load the realflow render kit plugin and import the mesh under OpenVDB Hybrido Mesh, I select the file hit add and LW immediately crashes. I've used realflow .bin files in the past but have never attempted any import with the new version of realflow. Anyone run into this problem?

if it's abc then its alembic not VDB....so I wouldnt use VDB mesh....I am not sure if the plugin supports alembic meshes, dont have it in front of me at the moment but I have only had success through .bin files with realflow...yet to try openVDB with the render kit

squarewulf
03-21-2016, 07:56 AM
I just had it recalculated as a .bin file and it works as expected. The .abc file format is default which I didn't know, would have saved us 10 hours if I had known. Every day is a learning experience.

mummyman
03-21-2016, 09:20 AM
I recently imported a huge .abc file from Maya. Lots and lots of objects. LW immediately crashed as well. Figured the file size was just too large. Had to split it up into smaller file sizes and that worked. Glad to hear you fixed the issue! Indeed... learning everyday.

ChampLein
03-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Hi

The problem is RenderKit was created for build and render the mesh inside LightWave, you can not load meshes you did build in the Main program with renderkit

If you want to load meshes you need to use the classic RF plugin "Next Limit manager"