PDA

View Full Version : SImple cloning/arraying question - :stumped: / scaling a clone offset

jeric_synergy
03-20-2016, 03:14 PM
:stumped:

Gosh darn it.... Starting with the TOP step of a column base, I'd like to replicate a layer/step (a flattish Box) downwards, with each step being flush with the next (clones being edge to edge) BUT also scaling 120% with each duplication.

Here's the problem:

I don't know that there is a native tool that will adjust the Offset of a duplicate/clone to account for the mesh becoming larger and/or smaller due to the Scaling parameter. Is there? :bangwall:

+++
Was going to make a FReq* that Clone and Array and Radial Array be consolidated into one super-duper "DUPLICATE" tool, but thought I'd ask first. Those tools are pretty creaky.

*pronounced "freak".

ernpchan
03-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Not that I know of. You could script one.

Ztreem
03-20-2016, 05:06 PM
It is possible with clone. Measure the height of your object and put it in the y-offset. Set number of clones to 1 and change the scale as you want it. Make a clone! Now select the created clone and clone again (c). Select the newest created clone and repeat as many times you need. Not completely automatic but works. I hope it helps.

jeric_synergy
03-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Ztreem, no offense, but that's not really any solution at all.

I think ernpchan is correct: If I wanted this badly enough, I'd have to code it myself.

raw-m
03-21-2016, 01:45 AM
I had this very problem recently. My solution is to send it to layout and use instances, offsetting and stretching on the XZ. The instance generator is a really useful non-destructive modelling tool!

PS. Thinking about it, I may have done this nodally with a gradient set to distance from the Base Position.

Ztreem
03-21-2016, 03:51 AM
Ztreem, no offense, but that's not really any solution at all.

I think ernpchan is correct: If I wanted this badly enough, I'd have to code it myself.

Hard to tell, but from your images it looked like it could be a solution as it looked liked you just needed to do it a few times. But if you have like 50-1000 items to do this to, yes I agree its not a solution. Then I would say go to layout and fix it there.

Ztreem
03-21-2016, 04:41 AM
Just tested and a faster way with the same technique is to not select the newly created clone. So clone the object once, clone again with same settings (c and enter) make this as many times as needed, then merge points and unify polys. Done!

this model took only a few seconds to do.

jeric_synergy
03-21-2016, 09:37 AM
I had this very problem recently. My solution is to send it to layout and use instances, offsetting and stretching on the XZ. The instance generator is a really useful non-destructive modelling tool!
PS. Thinking about it, I may have done this nodally with a gradient set to distance from the Base Position.
Ideally, in a perfect world, we'd also be able to Scale on the "stacking axis", that is, have all axes Scale but still be flush. :stumped: In fact, in a truly perfect Clone tool, things could Scale randomly, and still be flush to each other. :eek:

Now, that's an interesting thought.

Just tested and a faster way with the same technique is to not select the newly created clone. So clone the object once, clone again with same settings (c and enter) make this as many times as needed, then merge points and unify polys. Done!
Good method. :bowdown: Thanks for continuing to look into it.

prometheus
03-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Out of curiosity, why are you not modeling the column base as a single piece?
Maybe I am answering it myself here...tricky to draw the profile with a step proportional scaling of 120%?

jeric_synergy
03-21-2016, 09:50 PM
The real answer is: it didn't occur to me. --I'm assuming you mean Lathing an outline.

However, I also wanted to use the Radius function of Box to make some nice edges.

But it gave me a chance to point out what I consider a significant shortcoming of the Clone tool*, and suggest that Clone and Array could easily be consolidated to both their benefits. Also, Clone&Array could use dozens of functionality upgrades, like automagically assigning gradated weight maps, instead of having to download 3rd party and volunteer plugins that may expire at any random time (solely due to "bit rot"). How long has Clone existed in its current state? Bah.

*getting clones to meet flush

prometheus
03-22-2016, 05:58 AM
The real answer is: it didn't occur to me. --I'm assuming you mean Lathing an outline.

However, I also wanted to use the Radius function of Box to make some nice edges.

But it gave me a chance to point out what I consider a significant shortcoming of the Clone tool*, and suggest that Clone and Array could easily be consolidated to both their benefits. Also, Clone&Array could use dozens of functionality upgrades, like automagically assigning gradated weight maps, instead of having to download 3rd party and volunteer plugins that may expire at any random time (solely due to "bit rot"). How long has Clone existed in its current state? Bah.

*getting clones to meet flush

yes..I was thinking of drawing the outline then lathe it with 4 sides.
I would suggest using a proper grid snap for it, then using either the pen tool or the line pen tool, you can create straight lines, after lathe, simply use rounder on all of it or on selected edges you want rounded...to note though, if you use the line pen tool...after the lathe you may have to correct the polys so the rounder tool doesnīt give you error messages, best would probably be to use the pen tool though, since that shouldnīt mess up polys after lathe, and the rounding should work flawlessly, and itīs easy to draw straigth with snap to grid..and also draw increased length and height based on grid divisions.

Michael