PDA

View Full Version : What's the preferred way to bake Motion Modifer transform data?

tburbage
03-19-2016, 09:26 PM
I've been experimenting with motion baking the last couple of days, specifically with techniques for baking motion applied to an item using a Motion Modifier (Follower, Parenter, Constraints, etc.) to keyframes.

So far, I've had some success in baking rotational data, but not position. I've been trying using the Dope Track as well as the Motion Baker Motion Modifier, but never get the positional data to bake. The item which is the master ("followed" e.g. using Follower) is a scene-root null (not a child object).

So what's the preferred way to bake out transform data to keyframes for an item which is being driven via a Motion Modifier?

ernpchan
03-19-2016, 10:31 PM
I believe RebelHill's animation toolbox will do what you want.

RebelHill
03-19-2016, 11:18 PM
Yep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQeWfXi6ZEI&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX&index=35

Just remember to clear/remove whatever motion controllers/constraints you were using aftrerwards to kill any interference.

vector
03-19-2016, 11:29 PM
I have to try the RH's one but you can use also http://mentalfish.com/2009/09/motion-baker/
As RH said you have to remove any motion modifier once you baked the motion too

tburbage
03-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. Craig, since you've replied and I'm sure you'd know, I'm taking it that LW can't do what I'm trying to do out of the box. And it's not a "bug" (like a regression (used to work, now it doesn't)): it simply reveals an architectural limitation for different parts of LW communicating with Motion Modifiers... Sound right? If so, I sure hope this is one of the design issues they can address in the next release as long as they're "breaking some eggs" anyway.

ernpchan
03-20-2016, 04:03 PM
If LW could do it out of the box I'm sure Craig would have spent his free time doing something else. :D

RebelHill
03-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Ehh... not really a architectural problem, no. Different areas of the motion system need to be walled off from one another, so as they operate together, ad allow for certain types of mixing (such as how you can have some modifiers before or after IK, be additive on top of keyed motion, etc), and the default bakers (a curve baker in GE and direct baker motion modifier) were really just to deal with the special cases of each area... I guess no one ever got around to creating a more "global" one is all.

Oh and btw... if you're bakign rotations from constrained items... run the euler curve filter on the items afterwards.