PDA

View Full Version : Aloha From Mars Landscape

Match-Boy
12-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Aloha All,

I am posting a copy of my latest render. Let me know what you think please.

Matt

Mclaren
12-11-2003, 05:20 PM
I like it.

mattbolton
12-12-2003, 08:08 AM
The rendering style is well done. My only concern is, Where are those flames coming from? his eyeball?

starbase1
12-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Individual elenemts are fine, but to my eye the combination looks like a mess of mismatched styles.

Sorry!

Match-Boy
12-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the Pop n Fresh picture Mclaren.

The Flames are coming off Match-Boys head Matt. I have had other posts with just the characters but the are long gone I supose.

Starbase as for mismatched styles. Well I guess to each there own. I don't see it. It came out exactly how I wanted it sans the little plants I am building to scatter along the ground.

Matt

starbase1
12-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Hey, don't fret, if you are happy that's enough! Style is clearly a matter of personal taste!

But to try and be a bit more specific.

The geology has lots of fine detail in the image, but the central objects / characters have a much simpler look. It is more normal to simplify the background, to remove distractions friom the focus?

From what I can see you are using orbital photographs of Mars for the ground texture, yet the cyclops has a cel shaded look.

Also the ground texture is utterly the wrong scale - you are using features tens of km across at a scale of a few inches. (Thats probably just my astronomy training though!)

But the lighting direction on the craters is way out from the shadows from the wile e coyote rocks. Rotating it would probably help a lot for minimal effort.

Also perhaps make the black rocks a bit closer to the colour of the rest of the geology?

Cheers,
Nick

Match-Boy
12-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Hey Starbase

Thanks for the explanation. Just to clarify for you.

Yes that is a orbital image of Mars used for the ground texture. I did not feel that it had to be used as scale or as it should be. I like the way it looks as a ground texture. You get bonus points for knowing what I did.

The characters are not cel shaded they just have the trace lines turned on. It gives the characters a toon look without having to use toon render.

As for the rocks being different from the ground color that is also how I wanted it. I have photo's from pathfinder that showed the Martian surface littered with rocks that were black volcanic glass looking poking right out of red sand.

I think as we are all 3d artists on this we tend to know what should and should not be too much. I go for the audience that does not know how it is done. I tend to find alot of people either go 100% realistic or 100% toon style. I am trying to get a look that is a happy medium. But thanks for your POV. I will try and use it to scrutinize the next set more. I was trying to get the back rocks to fall out of focus. I am still trying to get the DOF down.

Matt

starbase1
12-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for taking it constructively - that's the way it was meant!
:D

The Wile E Coyote references should certainly be taken as praise, how could any resemblance to Chuck Jones masterwork be otherwise?!?! And those towering pillar thingies look very good.

:D

But please, please, please match the lighting direction!

Cheers,
Nick