PDA

View Full Version : Create a warp speed light effect: how to?

AmigaNewTek
03-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Hello,

does anyone knows how to create the warp speed light effect?

thank you

prometheus
03-18-2016, 08:52 AM
I wouldn´t wrestle with that in lightwave, if you got after effects, strobe effects, or check the free fusion...I suspect they got something similar for that too.

Michael.

prometheus
03-18-2016, 09:24 AM
I might have been given suggestion on wrong effect,
in after effects , cc wide time might be good for it.

MonroePoteet
03-18-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure which "warp speed light effect" you mean, but if you mean the forward / backward view of a scifi spaceship at lightspeed in Star Wars and other scifi movies, you could potentially use Particles with HV's where the Particle Motion heading towards the camera, a Stretch by Velocity, and motion blur.

A sample scene is attached. I also used a gradient on the HV color to make particles change from "ultraviolet" (i.e. Doppler effect traveling toward the camera in front) to "infrared" (i.e. Doppler effect traveling away from the camera behind). You could, of course, just leave them white, blue or whatever suits.

Here are "front starting out", "front", "side", and "rear" views:

mTp

P.S. Probably should have stretched the keys for the Gradient on the HV color a little more so the white portion of the spectrum is next to the camera where the delta distance is relatively "constant"!

prometheus
03-19-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure which "warp speed light effect" you mean, but if you mean the forward / backward view of a scifi spaceship at lightspeed in Star Wars and other scifi movies, you could potentially use Particles with HV's where the Particle Motion heading towards the camera, a Stretch by Velocity, and motion blur.

A sample scene is attached. I also used a gradient on the HV color to make particles change from "ultraviolet" (i.e. Doppler effect traveling toward the camera in front) to "infrared" (i.e. Doppler effect traveling away from the camera behind). You could, of course, just leave them white, blue or whatever suits.

Here are "front starting out", "front", "side", and "rear" views:

mTp

P.S. Probably should have stretched the keys for the Gradient on the HV color a little more so the white portion of the spectrum is next to the camera where the delta distance is relatively "constant"!

Yeah..the question is of course which warp effect? the star warping, or the actual light trail from the starship?
I thought he ment that light streak trail effect from the ship.. and was suggesting doing that light trail in post process with wide time effect in after effects or similar,I must check up on fusion to see which effect would be suitable for that.

Kaptive
03-19-2016, 09:06 AM
Any of these? Warp speed is very specifically Star Trek. Lightspeed, hyper space is more Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj178APgdno

Markc
03-19-2016, 12:33 PM
Kaptive, that spaceship image from the Commander looks awesome :thumbsup:

spherical
03-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Yeah..the question is of course which warp effect? the star warping, or the actual light trail from the starship?
I thought he ment that light streak trail effect from the ship..

Then there's the "Rubber Band Effect" on the ship itself.

Kaptive
03-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Kaptive, that spaceship image from the Commander looks awesome :thumbsup:

Cheers mate :)

squarewulf
03-19-2016, 09:55 PM
This can be done pretty simply.
Just set a nodal motion to follow the rotation of the camera to your star object (in my case a sqaure). Instance it. Then scale it on the Z channel when the camera enters hyper drive.

If there was a way to calculate the speed of your camera, like mps, then you could use that as your Zscale input so it did it automatically.

Dan Ritchie
03-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Historically, warp effects were achieved by taking long exposures of pin-hole lights along a track. ST-TNG and some 80's Doctor Who added a color/time offset (red,green,blue were offset in time from each other) to get a red-shift like effect.