PDA

View Full Version : Lw 2015 and Windows 10 issues?

zogthedoomed
03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've found that Lightwave will freeze every 5 mins or so, for about 5 seconds, and then resume.

So I'm wondering how often Lightwave checks the dongle and if there are any known USB issues with Win and the dongle?

Or is this something else entirely?

spherical
03-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Once LightWave starts, pull the dongle out and see if it makes any difference. If it still resumes, that's not it.

BokadCastle
03-17-2016, 05:29 PM
If it is the dongle then try installing licence keys, as shown in your registered products page.

zogthedoomed
03-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Well thats odd. Pulling the dongle out had no effect what so ever. Even restarting with the dongle out. I assumed it would of started in trial mode or something but no, it started and ran fine. Thats both 2013 (upgrade 3) and 11.6.3. Note that I've used a dongle since version 4 and haven't been upgraded to the no-dongle version.

As for the licence keys, how do I reinstall them? There's no longer a splash screen, even with the dongle out, and it won't let me drag the .lwk onto the help screen (which already shows that its licenced.)

Incidentally, the freezing happens in 11.6.3 as well as 2015, both with and without the dongle .. so I assume it's not that.

BokadCastle
03-17-2016, 08:03 PM
sounds like your licence keys are already installed - to verify this :
1. close LW
2. remove dongle
3. open LW
4. if LW opens (& you said it does without dongle) go to Help > Enter Licence.
5. if a small window opens showing the path to the .lwk then the file with the licence number is already installed.
6. you can then rule out both dongle and licence keys.

a freeze sounds more like hardware to me - video drivers?

Vong
03-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Note that I've used a dongle since version 4 and haven't been upgraded to the no-dongle version.

Well, everyone was upgraded to the no-dongle version as of LW 11.0.3. Ever since that release, you could use the dongle or just the .LWK file. That's why it's not running in trial mode when you remove the dongle.

As for the freezing, I have to agree with BokadCastle, sounds like a driver issue. And since you claim that it happened since upgrading to Windows 10, that would make some sense. Windows 10 likes to replace drivers (and reset settings) on a regular basis, based on what drivers MS thinks should be installed. (Or at least it seems that way!)

As BokadCastle stated, I'd start by looking at the video drivers and make sure they are the latest, stable version.

magiclight
03-18-2016, 08:16 AM
It's only LW that freeze ? mouse still alive ?

Have a peek in the system event log and see if there are any warning or errors indicating some kind of problem, open the device manager and see if you have any items with that nasty yellow exclamation mark indicating some kind of problem.

LW autosave/backup every 5 minutes making something go wonky ? slow network drives ?

That's the things I can think of at the moment.

spherical
03-19-2016, 12:53 AM
As for the licence keys, how do I reinstall them? There's no longer a splash screen, even with the dongle out, and it won't let me drag the .lwk onto the help screen (which already shows that its licenced.)

I never bother with the drag/drop stuff. You didn't say what OS, so no idea on that if it's Mac, but on Windows the files are in:

C:\Users\[username]\.NewTek\LightWave\[version_number]

When I install a new version, I run it once to create the new version directory in that tree and close. Then drop the license.key and license.lwk files (each containing all of the quads for all of the various versions of both bit-depths) in there. Done.

There really needs to be a Sticky on these issues.

You might open Task Manager or Process Manager and see what maxes out when the freeze happens. That could provide a big clue as to the blockage.

zogthedoomed
03-21-2016, 01:42 PM
//LW autosave/backup every 5 minutes making something go wonky ? slow network drives ?

Oh Wow .. MagicLight that was it! I'd upgraded to Win 10 at the start of this project and had not thought to check WHERE it was auto saving to .. I had it in my head that it always defaulted to the files folder, be that the object or scene folders .. but it was backing up to an old content directory on a criminally slow network drive. I've thankfully not had reason to find the auto saves during this project and since I'm only using modeller I'd never bothered setting up a Content Directory. So Windows 10 was a red herring.

Its embarrassing when you've been using a program for most of your working life and get undone on something so basic.

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. Very much appreciated.