PDA

View Full Version : Texture Mapping Blimp Screen

Michael Lizak
03-17-2016, 01:00 PM
I've been working on trying to perfectly align a texture map to the screen on my blimp. I've attached a jpeg. How would you guys go about this? Your help is appreciated!

spherical
03-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Well a UV is best, but the screen is rectilinear and still rather flat. I'd say that Planar or cylindrical would do fine. You may be able to adjust the position/rotation some to emulate the projection (probably Planar) as being barrel distorted, but I'm betting that there will be precious little difference seen. The perspective will take care of the illusion, especially if the screen format can be seen. (Edges/background are lit even by a small amount to show the curvature of the surface.)

gerry_g
03-17-2016, 02:50 PM
no time fo VO but like this
https://youtu.be/iRxWMi0N3n8

Michael Lizak
03-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Well a UV is best, but the screen is rectilinear and still rather flat. I'd say that Planar or cylindrical would do fine. You may be able to adjust the position/rotation some to emulate the projection (probably Planar) as being barrel distorted, but I'm betting that there will be precious little difference seen. The perspective will take care of the illusion, especially if the screen format can be seen. (Edges/background are lit even by a small amount to show the curvature of the surface.)

Thank spherical!. If I did use UV mapping, would that be able to follow the curving of the geometry automatically? Do not have my head wrapped around all the UV stuff. Thanks, -ML

Michael Lizak
03-17-2016, 03:39 PM
no time fo VO but like this
https://youtu.be/iRxWMi0N3n8

Hi Gerry,

Very kind of you to show me how to do this! When I go to the video though, it states it is private. Would love to see your workflow. Thanks, -Michael

gerry_g
03-17-2016, 04:31 PM
yeah forgot to hit publish, was rushing off to do something should work now though, basic idea is conform the uv's to the image not the image to the uv's – incase it is not obvious because I am using the hotkey 'H' for numeric stretch tool to straighten out the lines that is what I am doing along with 'RIGHT ARROW' to select the line

spherical
03-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Thank spherical!. If I did use UV mapping, would that be able to follow the curving of the geometry automatically?

Yes, it would. But, like I say, the convex amount is negligible and the difference would be noticeable in a direct comparison; not necessarily glaring right off. Sometimes, things are just overkill. I apply etching to glass sculptures on surfaces that are more concave/convex than that and, once the settings are fined tuned, I dare anyone to say that it isn't UV'd. I'm pretty darn picky, so if it looks good to me it should look good to anyone. Try it and see what you think. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you get to learn UVing. :)

Michael Lizak
03-17-2016, 06:48 PM
yeah forgot to hit publish, was rushing off to do something should work now though, basic idea is conform the uv's to the image not the image to the uv's – incase it is not obvious because I am using the hotkey 'H' for numeric stretch tool to straighten out the lines that is what I am doing along with 'RIGHT ARROW' to select the line

Gerry, that was awesome. Truly appreciate you taking the time to record the video. Spent hours testing & looking for a workflow. Thanks! -Michael

Michael Lizak
03-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Yes, it would. But, like I say, the convex amount is negligible and the difference would be noticeable in a direct comparison; not necessarily glaring right off. Sometimes, things are just overkill. I apply etching to glass sculptures on surfaces that are more concave/convex than that and, once the settings are fined tuned, I dare anyone to say that it isn't UV'd. I'm pretty darn picky, so if it looks good to me it should look good to anyone. Try it and see what you think. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you get to learn UVing. :)

Thanks Spherical. I see what you are saying & I agree. Thanks for your help. -Michael