PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Forum pages not accessible after Windows 10 upgrade

inkpen3d
03-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Hi guys,

I've just upgraded my Dell Inspiron laptop from Windows 7 to 10. Everything seems to be working fine with the exception that I cannot access the NewTek forums using either the Chrome or the MS Edge browsers. It comes up with either a 404 error (page not found) or a blank page with text saying that this is the default server page (with no content as yet). All other web pages load fine, even the NewTek web site and its child pages (but, of course, not the forums if I click on its link in the Community page).

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Peter

spherical
03-15-2016, 03:44 PM
I get an anomaly like that on Google Analytics. Just gives me a cryptic "Internal Error - Try again later" message. It is caused by security settings that disallow the browser from loading data from various domains. Whitelisting the blocked domains cures it. May not be the case, here, but worth a shot.

inkpen3d
03-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Paul_Boland
03-15-2016, 08:43 PM
If I had a euro for every time I've upgraded a computer to Windows 10... ;).

A few things to note about the upgrade that I've learned from much experience...

Before doing the upgrade, make sure you upgrade your computers BIOS. You can get them from the computer manufacturers website. If, like my current desktop, a Dell XPS which was also running Windows 7 originally, there are no updates, there could be issues, see below...

After doing the upgrade and your Windows 10 is activated (check the System Properties screen to see if Windows is activated), it's worth doing a complete fresh install of the OS. Right now, the upgrade is built on top of what was there and that means all the crap that was in your old installation. Go to the Windows 10 Media Creator website and download the Windows 10 ISO file and burn it to disc. When your upgrade is up and running, AND ACTIVATED, then do a 100% fresh install of Windows 10 by booting up the computer from your optical disc. During the installation, select advanced install and delete all partitions and allow Windows 10 to install fresh. It will prompt you three or four times for a product key, just keep pressing Skip. When Windows 10 is installed, give it a few minutes and it will retrieve its product key from the Microsoft server and then you're ready to install all your programs and files on the fresh installation.

Microsoft's new web browser, Edge, still has a few issues. If you can live with it, great. If not, and you want to Internet Explorer back, click the search icon on the task bar and type "IE" and Internet Explorer 11 will pop up. Pin it to you task bar or Start menu and happy browsing.

As outlined in point 1 above, if your old computer has no BIOS update for Windows 10, you can still go ahead and install it, but you could have some issues. My sister's laptop had an update and Windows 10 installed fine on it. My desktop doesn't have a BIOS update. While Windows 10 is up and running fine, sometimes when I power on I get a black screen. Just press the power button once and the computer will power off and then power back on. I've also got an odd text-cursor graphical issues which leaves a tiny line behind it when typing sometimes which can be quite distracting but it's livable.

Once your fresh install of Windows 10 is up and running, the first thing you should install is the UP TO DATE DRIVERS for your graphics card. Older graphics drivers can lead to some major hangs resulting in a totally dead system needing a reinstallation of the OS again. Get the up to date drivers and all will be fine.

And for the most part that's it. Enjoy :)!!

inkpen3d
03-16-2016, 02:55 AM
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide all that really comprehensive and useful advice - much appreciated.
Regards,
Peter

rustythe1
03-16-2016, 05:47 AM
I have also noted that a lot of big mother board manufactures are not updating drivers and software to windows 10 either, the are many I7 Asus boards that do not support 10 and you can not get drivers to instal, the only way around it is to go against what paul said and do an over the top update, windows 10 will keep the old drivers and software (that includes things like AI suit which will not install and is not being updated for windows 10, relates to boards for the i7 980x and similar!) and all the software works fine, if you do a clean install you can no longer use the turbo or desktop overclocking features on asus boards, ai suit 3 works with windows 10 but is only compatible with 5th generation and forward as far as I know (I even tried installing with windows 7 and 8 compatibility and it still refused to run the installer)
another issue I had was things like cyborg keyboards and older gaming mice, these you have to hunt down generic HID drivers to get them to work (you often lose some functionality but again with an over the top upgrade windows will still run the old drivers fine, it just cant install new ones grrrrr)

inkpen3d
03-16-2016, 06:22 AM
I had yet another issue with W10: The laptop display would flicker sideways every 10s or so, which was VERY distracting. Made sure the display driver was up to date, etc. No luck. Tried un-installing applications that might have been affecting the display driver. Still no luck!

So in the end, after wasting a day on this, I decided to roll my laptop back to W7.

Well, the glitching screen is cured, but I still cannot access the NewTek forums. Removed and re-installed both Chrome and Kaspersky Internet Security, but the problem persists. All very odd! :(