PDA

View Full Version : Can someone educate me on preparing backdrop images?

unstable
03-15-2016, 07:46 AM
I'm struggling on how to line up my images in photoshop even before I use them as backdrop guides. I included the original images as well as an image of my setup in photoshop showing the green lines of matching points. As you can see, the top is good but the other lines are way off. When I manipulate an image say shrink the left image so the hoods line up, something else goes out of whack. I've looked at other threads in this forum, but they all assume you know how setup the image in PS. I haven't been able to find the right tutorial online either. Maybe I'm not using the right search phrase. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd really like to know how to do this, because it would be so helpful during modeling. Thanks

ernpchan
03-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Your images don't line up cuz they were taken at different heights and probably with different angles. You need to recreate the exact camera setup if you want your reference images to line up as best as possible.

What you could do now is try to manipulate one of the images in Photoshop to match the other.

Sensei
03-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Looks like Boyd Coddington "Boydster".. :)

Photogram
03-15-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm struggling on how to line up my images in photoshop even before I use them as backdrop guides. I included the original images as well as an image of my setup in photoshop showing the green lines of matching points. As you can see, the top is good but the other lines are way off. When I manipulate an image say shrink the left image so the hoods line up, something else goes out of whack. I've looked at other threads in this forum, but they all assume you know how setup the image in PS. I haven't been able to find the right tutorial online either. Maybe I'm not using the right search phrase. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd really like to know how to do this, because it would be so helpful during modeling. Thanks

I usually deform one of the photos, I keep the one that is more usefull intact.
In that case i had deformed the front of the car...

This is when you get these pictures by someone or on the internet and you cannot do yourself theses photos...

Hope this help!

:)

DrStrik9
03-15-2016, 01:06 PM
It's good to have those nice photos as reference, but use drawings (if you can find them) for the actual modeling. The problem you are having is that the two photos (front and side) were taken from different heights and distances from the subject. The front view is obviously very wide-angle. To be good for modeling, both shots need to be taken with narrow-angle (almost telephoto) lens, from the same distance and height. It would be difficult to massage the front shot, even in Photoshop, for good modeling source.

unstable
03-16-2016, 07:21 AM
Thanks all, I guess its first important to have like scaled original photos and drawings if possible. And if not, you must manipulate the heck out of them in PS. If I have to manipulate them that much though, I'm not sure how much they'll help with the modeling. lol. DrStrik9, I tried to find drawings for a 1932 Ford Sedan and if I recall I came close to finding a side view. I'm surprised how hard it is to find dimensions and drawings of old vehicles. You'd think they didn't have electronic filing back then!! :D

jasonwestmas
03-16-2016, 07:45 AM
There's got to be an orthographic drawing somewhere. I mean that's what you really need.

You can absolutely eyeball your model into shape that's no problem for some people. But yes it will be a somewhat stylistic representation and not the actual copy of that car.

ccclarke
03-16-2016, 08:01 AM
This (free) site has been invaluable to me over the years. You need to sign up to access the hi-rez reference materials. It contains lots of orthogonal views. I hope this helps you.

https://www.the-blueprints.com/

CC

jeric_synergy
03-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Ahhhh, that's a good one. Thanks for the reminder!

OP: PShop's GUIDES are your friend-- use liberally.

Photogram
03-16-2016, 10:17 AM
This (free) site has been invaluable to me over the years. You need to sign up to access the hi-rez reference materials. It contains lots of orthogonal views. I hope this helps you.

https://www.the-blueprints.com/

CC

Ohhh my god!! Thanks a lot, i finally found a perfect reference for the SAAB J 37 Viggen jetfighter :)