PDA

View Full Version : Toaster .AVI conversion for Premier Pro

roybast
03-15-2016, 04:29 AM
Old one I know but....
I have a large archive which I need to re-edit
My computer with VT on it has been sold with other equipment
I have the Newtek Codec pack and the K-Lite codec pack installed on the computer
The files play OK in WMP but when imported into PP I get an error message 'file unsupported or corrupted'
Any ideas please
Thanks

ohmygeeks
04-11-2016, 09:56 PM
How about other AVI files? You know, AVI is just a container file that can contain a range of codecs for the video and audio and other data. Perhaps the codec is not supported by PP. I think most people use MKV or MP4 containers with H.264/AAC codecs for the video and audio. For avi to mkv (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/how-to-convert-avi-to-mkv.html) transcoding, I'm sure many free video converters like handbrake, freemake can do it with ease. After transcoding, try it again...

roybast
04-12-2016, 09:58 AM
How about other AVI files? You know, AVI is just a container file that can contain a range of codecs for the video and audio and other data. Perhaps the codec is not supported by PP. I think most people use MKV or MP4 containers with H.264/AAC codecs for the video and audio. For avi to mkv (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/how-to-convert-avi-to-mkv.html) transcoding, I'm sure many free video converters like handbrake, freemake can do it with ease. After transcoding, try it again...

Hello and many thanks for taking the time to reply
Yes the AVI file is 'just a container' as you put it
However, when that container holds an NT-25 file, there is a problem and I agree PP does not seem to support this type of AVI
Indeed, up to now I have not found a codec, free or otherwise, that does
It seems to be a format on its own
The work around I have used is a conversion via SpeedEdit
I should also mention that some editing has to be done so the AVI is now saved as a VTP
I render this out Video for Windows using the SpeedEdit Newtek Speed HQ setting (and several others)
In most cases, but not all, this produces a file that is accepted by PP
The file plays (with wobbly verticals) OK, but has to be rendered in PP to be further edited into the final program
When this timeline render is made the video again plays but with shadowy blue and red vertical stripes, but when the video is on a still frame the stripes dissappear
This can happen if PP has differing settings for motion video and still video, but in my case they are correctly set
The second workaround is to convert the video again through Handbrake
This plays without the stripes and less wobbly verticals
The whole process obviously takes forever....and I have an archive with some 13 seasons of horse races to process!!!
Best wishes

SBowie
04-12-2016, 10:09 AM
I've probably still got the old codecs kicking around somewhere. Send me a PM with your email and I'll try to hunt them up for you.