PDA

View Full Version : FFX: getting toes wet: immediate huge VPR differences?

jeric_synergy
03-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Just started to take another look at FFX, immediately got into 'trouble', hitting the books now, but leaving these questions here:

Applied FFX to a 1.5Meter 'fox' model.
1) is it normal for VPR to immedieatly show radical changes in shadows in the VPR render? Like, shadows go away completely?

2) toggling the root object in the FFX panel (to observe #1) lead quite soon to NOT being able to expand an object to see its Surfaces. Not much use at that point if you've toggled off the Surface too (eg, can't turn Surface back on). Is this normal?

Every time I type FFX, I'm actually thinking "ffs". :devil:

prometheus
03-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Jeric...if you can, do not invest much time in fiberfx as it is right now, or at least avoid thinking of working with it in VPR with satisfaction, you still have to final render them, and that is what I think you should do as much as possible with fiberfx for the moment.

wait til 2016, and the newer fiberfx system...if you can that is? if you are on a project that needs it to be working?..then itīs a different thing of course.
Just my advice..and spend more time on other things that doesnīt pose so much issues as fiberfx has in the past.

erikals
03-11-2016, 07:40 PM
+5

jeric_synergy
03-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Wow. That's some pretty heavy down-voting. Maybe Greenlaw might have some input.

(And: pretty depressing -- for a personal project I'd like to furrify a fox, feather a stork, and have some grasslands. Also, a thatched hut-- I think FFX should be able to do much of that. BUT, I've NEVER been impressed by the design of the subsystem-- it's like the dev has never encountered hair.)

Spinland
03-12-2016, 04:41 AM
I gotta agree on down voting FFX. I've had to use it a few times in production (animal characters seem to be big around here) and every time it ends up being one of the biggest time busts of a project. Fiddly, quirky, crashy and generally hard to get the results I want. I won't even go into how distributed renders sometimes get wonky frames using it.

erikals
03-12-2016, 04:47 AM
as LW2016 will use geometry based hair, it'll most likely smash all the render issues.

Spinland
03-12-2016, 04:48 AM
as LW2016 will use geometry based hair, it'll most likely smash all the render issues.

Words cannot express my level of interest in getting my hands on this sleek new version, based on what I've read thus far.

erikals
03-12-2016, 04:53 AM
LW2016 Layout i agree looks damn good!

a minus is that the Modeler upgrade is next to 0%

Spinland
03-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Yeah. To be honest I'm slowly joining the trend of drifting away from LW for all but the most basic of modeling tasks. UVs, texturing, sculpting in high-poly environments...all of that works better for me in other apps and then I move into Layout for the rigging, animating and rendering.

erikals
03-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Modeler is still Very powerful

smacking things up in Modeler = superfast, i love it !

it's the more advanced stuff that cause the slow down.

UV'ing ain't that bad in Modeler for tech stuff,
for organic stuff use 3DCoat or such

some UV intro videos i made >
https://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/search?query=UV

Spinland
03-12-2016, 06:57 AM
Cool videos!

Yeah, I've used 3DC as essentially a UV plugin for LW for a while. I also recently started getting seriously into sculpting and this week picked up ZBrush and am getting pretty comfortable with it. I'm expanding the character animation side of my business and those tools have quickly become all but indispensable to me. I'm good with box modeling and subD stuff, and adding LW Brush made that even better, but the sculpting side of things (beyond what LW can do) really has my attention right now.

jasonwestmas
03-12-2016, 06:59 AM
if you like airbrushy toon-like hair then ffx will do the job. There is plenty of stylistic work out there that FFX would benefit. But even then for closeups anyone would want something more hairlike and less painterly occasionally. I don't know why it has been like this for so long. I actually started using vray for rendering because of FFX's inadequate shading, lol. It was super slow in vray 2 but at least hair looked awesome. But now, wow, much much faster hair rendering in Vray 3.

sorry to say that you'll not get fast or accurate feedback using vpr with FFX. Best stick to F9 for now.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2016, 09:49 AM
The front end of FFX has always seemed very crappy to me, VERY CRAPPY, really rubbish, but I was hoping the engine itself had become more solid.

Some programmers should just not design. There. I said it.

Skywatcher_NT
03-12-2016, 10:43 AM
It isn't as 'crappy' as you say. It has some bugs and workflow could be better, true.
But next Lw will fix that it seems.

This is FFX in action :

https://vimeo.com/129414112

MAUROCOR
03-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Last problem I had using FFX was I had 2 layers of fur. The first one was to the fur covering all surface, the second was only some part. When I hit F9 everything was fine but when I animated the character and hit F10, the first layer of fur was perfect but to the other one, it rendered like the fur was in frame 0 all the time. It didnīt move like it should. I recreated the bug using a simple sphere and sent it to Matt. He told me he would send that to the right person in the group. I hope so because it is a bug that can be present in the LW Next.
Anyway they should fix that to the next update of LW 2015.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2016, 11:53 AM
It isn't as 'crappy' as you say. It has some bugs and workflow could be better, true.
But next Lw will fix that it seems.
So, you are saying they are altering the UI??? 'Cuz to me workflow is contingent on the UI having appropriate facilities.

I find most (all?) of the subsystems that are using the "split window" scheme to be lacking: they have multiple inconsistencies, especially in regards to RMB operations. Often their layouts are counterproductive, requiring constant tab-switching to accomplish simple tasks, and hiding information the user would find convenient to have visible simultaneously. Sometimes the layout just doesn't make sense.

So, I'm not just throwing out 'crappy' randomly: I've seen (and reported) these shortcomings for literal years.
+++++++++

One thing, and again I'm exuding noobiness all over: Does it make sense to only clone OBJECTS, versus being able clone Surfaces within object? It would seem that cloning the entire object stuffs the list full when it's not necessary. But perhaps I've got the functionality wrong.

+++++++++

Anyway they should fix that to the next update of LW 2015.
I should hope so, and BEFORE LW2016. How long have they had the example?

jeric_synergy
03-12-2016, 01:20 PM
BTW, if the dox were dynamic and crowd sourced, the first alteration I'd make would be to add "FFX doesn't work with VPR" in the first line of the section.