PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 11 w/ new expose? or Windows 2004?

archiea
12-10-2003, 06:43 PM
actually its project looking glass for Sun. but we should all check this out!!!!

http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.html

Ade
12-10-2003, 06:53 PM
SUN went public and praised OSX on its intelligence and future design over any OS out now.. I wouldnt be suprsed they copy OSX and suck up to them to oprevent a law suit..

I ask WHY on earcth do ppl still broadcast in realplayer?

http://wwws.sun.com/software/images/products/I1_looking_glass_lg.jpg

archiea
12-10-2003, 07:43 PM
heh, heh...

well put....

WizCraker
12-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by archiea
Mac OS 11 w/ new expose? or Windows 2004?[/url]

You must be confused there is no Windows 2004. The next version of Windows code named Longhorn ships in 2005.

Beamtracer
12-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
You must be confused there is no Windows 2004. The next version of Windows code named Longhorn ships in 2005. Wow, it's a long time between drinks, isn't it?

archiea
12-10-2003, 11:55 PM
Oh you propellerheads know what I mean.... It was a play on windows 98 and 2000....

Shall we next discuss the scientific inaccuracies of the warp drive system as used in Star Trek?:rolleyes:

Zach
12-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Wow, it's a long time between drinks, isn't it?

yah, kind of like our favorite 3d app aye?

riki
12-11-2003, 03:07 AM
Uuuggh I hate Real Player with a vengence.

DaveW
12-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Well what other choice do you have on Linux? Windows Media and Quicktime aren't supported, but Real is. There are hacks that will allow QT and WM to play back, but they aren't very reliable.

Interestingly, MS demoed some similar stuff in 1999 called Task Gallery. Apparently they got very positive feedback from their testers, but for some reason decided not to use it :confused:
Someone from another forum posted a link to an animated gif: http://research.microsoft.com/adapt/TaskGallery/images/anim_gifs/window_ops.gif

takkun
12-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Very cool, thanks for the link. Is there any more details on this project? Is it actually being seriously developed or is this just a pipe dream?

WizCraker
12-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by takkun
Very cool, thanks for the link. Is there any more details on this project? Is it actually being seriously developed or is this just a pipe dream?

http://research.microsoft.com/adapt/TaskGallery/

archiea
12-11-2003, 05:36 PM
hah!! THE VIDEO NO LONGER WORKS.. THAT SO MICROSOFT!!

sorry for shouting....:(

takkun
12-11-2003, 08:21 PM
wizcracker, actually I was talking about the looking glass thing. But nevermind, I found out what I wanted to find out.

And that task gallery thing looks terrible. blech!

Para
12-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by archiea
hah!! THE VIDEO NO LONGER WORKS.. THAT SO MICROSOFT!!

sorry for shouting....:(

Meh? :P

Works fine here.

CaptainKirk
12-12-2003, 10:57 AM
Since Windows 2000 Professional there has been no need for a new OS on the PC side. I still don't see why we need a new one ( even XP is totally unnecessary ) other than for Microsoft to make more money.

Apple on the other hand simply can't get it right and releases updates every few months it seems. Charging people $100 to test their alpha software full of bugs.

How is your Lightwave running on OSX 10.3 and G5.
Great job Steve.
A responsible company would not ( EVER ) release a version of the OS which completely breaks a program like Lightwave.
They would test things properly and wait until things are fixed ( in other words, they would have worked with Newtek before releasing this POS OS )

And I propose again that Newtek should abandon Apple and concentrate on developing Lightwave only for PC.

It's Apple and its idiocy causing version 8 to be late.
We could have already had it, but they can't release PC only version. So drop that crap platform and use resources to improve PC side. With these improvements it will be very easy to gain new customers and make up what you lose on Mac side , after all it's only 2% of unreasonable dorks who insist on using Macs only.
The remaining 3% of Mac market already uses PCs alongside Macs too or are willing to switch to PC to use lightwave.

Very little to lose and a lot to gain. Hasn't hurt Max or Maya much, has it ( Max is PC only and Maya's top end is also PC only )

Aegis
12-12-2003, 11:41 AM
I think the major motivation for XP (aside from making piles of moolah) was the standardization of the NT kernal across the whole of the Windows product line - maintaining separate Win9x and WinNT products made no sense and XP simplifies things immensely for Microsoft - or course, a little spit and polish to the UI to make it a little more user-friendly didn't hurt either.

As far as Apple and the Mac version of LightWave goes I have to say I kind of agree (though not quite so harshly) - as a PC user of course I'd rather all NewTek's time and efforts were spent on the PC version of LightWave - the Mac version is inconsequential to me. However, I have no idea what NewTek's resources are and for all I know it could just be Scott working on the Mac code in which case it probably doesn't impact the PC version's development that much at all - if anything it probably gives the PC guys enough breathing space to make sure the bugs in the PC version are squashed whilst Scott is coding his a-s-s off trying to maintain parity. All speculation of course - Whilst I am content to use NewTek's products, I have absolutely no idea how they work ;)

Another thing to note is that as mentioned in another thread, a PC build of 8 was recently shown at a demo here in the UK which had only been compiled 2 days prior to being publicly shown - I'm sure 8 is still very much in development on the PC right now (particularly based on those "buggy dope sheet" remarks), not sitting in boxes waiting to be shipped whilst the Mac version catches up...

cresshead
12-12-2003, 11:55 AM
can someone please give him a red shirt & beam him down on a away party mission to a hostile planet!

[you know what happens to the crewmember who wears red shirts in star trek and go on a mission....they don't come back!]

...FUN!

Zach
12-12-2003, 01:50 PM
LOL!

If they did have to dump the mac, then maybe they could port to linux aye?

Linux is by far not as ready as to support my feeble brain as windows, but it would be nice to see more developement into that area!

Besides, if that happens, I'm sure some mac geek somewhere would be able to get it running on panther, or jaguar, or cougar, or bobcat, or kitten or whatever.

DaveW
12-12-2003, 06:10 PM
The video still works, here's a direct link: http://research.microsoft.com/adapt/TaskGallery/video.mpg

I agree that Task Gallery is ugly, but the functionality is good. Although MS isn't known for having the prettiest interfaces, they do usually polish the gui after the coding is done so if they had released Task Gallery it probably would have looked better. I doubt it would look as good as OSX or Project Looking Glass, but 3d hardware in 1999 wasn't nearly as powerful as it is today and not as common. That's probably the main reason MS decided to scrap it. It might show up in Longhorn though.

RE dumping the Mac port: bad idea. NewTek has a lot of Mac customers and I think in the end it would end up hurting NewTek.

Ade
12-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by CaptainKirk
Since Windows 2000 Professional there has been no need for a new OS on the PC side. I still don't see why we need a new one ( even XP is totally unnecessary ) other than for Microsoft to make more money.

Apple on the other hand simply can't get it right and releases updates every few months it seems. Charging people $100 to test their alpha software full of bugs.

How is your Lightwave running on OSX 10.3 and G5.
Great job Steve.
A responsible company would not ( EVER ) release a version of the OS which completely breaks a program like Lightwave.
They would test things properly and wait until things are fixed ( in other words, they would have worked with Newtek before releasing this POS OS )

And I propose again that Newtek should abandon Apple and concentrate on developing Lightwave only for PC.

It's Apple and its idiocy causing version 8 to be late.
We could have already had it, but they can't release PC only version. So drop that crap platform and use resources to improve PC side. With these improvements it will be very easy to gain new customers and make up what you lose on Mac side , after all it's only 2% of unreasonable dorks who insist on using Macs only.
The remaining 3% of Mac market already uses PCs alongside Macs too or are willing to switch to PC to use lightwave.

Very little to lose and a lot to gain. Hasn't hurt Max or Maya much, has it ( Max is PC only and Maya's top end is also PC only )

Wasnt he banned? I mean he pirates lightwave and hes syill allowed to post?

Matt
12-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Riki - Me too, if something is streamed in Real Media, I don't watch it, RM is just awful.

archiea - LOL! (Warp drive thing)

Matt
12-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Oh no :rolleyes: Just watched the "Task Gallery" research from Microsoft - what a total, utter pile of trollop, has to be the most awful idea I have ever seen! People just don't work like that with computers, I hope they never, ever do that!

Gimmicky, useless, pretentious bollox! A classic example of where Apple do it right (again) with Expose, and MS totally missed the point by testing ideas with people who probably never use computers to do anything productive, classic "concept over talent".

Beamtracer
12-12-2003, 09:32 PM

...So drop that crap platform and use resources to improve PC side...

...after all it's only 2% of unreasonable dorks who insist on using Macs only.

'CaptainKirk' was banned previously under the username 'Panini', and by the looks of things he can't wait to be banned again.

If he wants to comment on the Mac platform, fair enough. But his language is intended to do nothing else but insult Mac Lightwavers.

By the way, regarding his erroneous Apple comments:

I've got a new Apple G5 workstation. It runs Lightwave super fast. Lightwave has not crashed once. This is as stable as any computer platform gets.

Newtek develops for the Mac platform because it's growing and they make a profit. Any cross platform 3D software should get between 25% - 55% Mac sales. It's a large proportion. It brings in dollars to Newtek.

Because Lightwave is first developed on a "common code base" before being ported to Mac and Windows, the extra revenue Newtek earns from Mac sales goes towards funding development of this code base.

Mac sales benefit all Lightwave users, creating a larger budget for development of new features for both platforms.

WizCraker
12-12-2003, 11:11 PM
So drop that crap platform and use resources to improve PC side. With these improvements it will be very easy to gain new customers and make up what you lose on Mac side , after all it's only 2% of unreasonable dorks who insist on using Macs only.

Sniffing a little too much of the white stuff CaptiainKirk?

You must not be aware that the majority of the Graphic Design industry uses Apple computers. 3D may not be super largely available on the Mac as it is on x86 systems but that does not mean that software companies need to abandon customers that are willing to buy their software if they develop for Apple systems.