PDA

View Full Version : Smith Micro MotionArtist vs Manga Studio5 ?

dickbill
03-09-2016, 12:42 PM
What's the difference between the 2 programs, it'd be for a kid, 13 years old but very good at drawing manga style comics on paper already, like her dad. :heart:

JCG
03-09-2016, 02:55 PM
MotionArtist is an animation program. It has cameras and timelines so that you can import your comic art, add dynamic text and make an animation that can be easily uploaded to youtube. (Not a cartoon-type animation, an action-comic type animation... swooshing from panel to panel, zooming in, text appears... that sort of stuff).

Mangastudio is a drawing/painting program. It has a lot of real world pencils, pens and markers, like the famous G-pen. It doesn't mean much, if you're using a mouse but, with a Wacom pen, it feels SO MUCH like the real thing (minus the ink mess). It also has pre-created things that you'd commonly want to add to a manga page, like action lines, many types of speech bubbles, sparkles, explosions, common tones, clip art, buildings, clouds, common panel layouts. Then you can color it with watercolors, oils, india ink, or airbrush, and export it as a static image.

dickbill
03-09-2016, 03:00 PM
I touched an early Manga Studio version, perhaps 2 or 3, a while ago, but the interface didn't seem so intuitive to me. However we can credit Smith Micro to work a lot on their GU interface. If I take 'Anime studio' as an example, the easiness of use really progressed a lot, IMO. You wish to say the same thing about a famous program who starts with a z, and whose interface may be the worse created ever, again IMO. Motion Artist seems to do the same thing : a 2d manga creation software. Anyways, i'll probably rather get Manga Studio5 unless somebody tells me otherwise.

dickbill
03-09-2016, 03:06 PM
@JGG, OK i'll go for MangaStudio since I have a tablet.

JCG
03-09-2016, 03:10 PM
This is the current interface: