PDA

View Full Version : Is Auto Save Scene broken?

lertola2
03-09-2016, 11:51 AM
I wonder if I am missing something in how Auto Save Scene is supposed to work or if this feature is broken. I just crashed while using Layout and since I have not saved in 45 minutes I would like to get a more recent scene file from the backup folder. But frustratingly there are no scene files there. Is anyone else having this problem?

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132831&d=1457549230

lertola2
04-29-2016, 05:53 PM
So I guess no one else has noticed a problem with Auto Save Scene. I was just doing some testing and I found out the circumstances where Auto Save Scene stops working. It works fine after you open a scene. But if you save your scene incremental it stops working. Or if you use the Save As... command and save the scene with a new name it also stops working. Oddly it will continue to save any objects that change but not scenes. I was annoyed for the hundredth time today that I had no backup scene saved in the backup folder after a crash. So at least I know not to use Save Scene Increment any more or if I do I need to close and open the scene again.

spherical
04-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Jeric has reported something in another thread that may be related.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?150695-Days-of-rendering-now-loading-the-LWS-crashes-Layout
Could be the same issue.

Snosrap
04-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Do yourself a favor and disable it! With LW's limited undo system in Layout, you are better off saving on your own accord at certain points you deem best. That way when stuff screws up and the undo doesn't help you you can go back to a known spot and start anew.

lertola2
04-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Do yourself a favor and disable it! With LW's limited undo system in Layout, you are better off saving on your own accord at certain points you deem best. That way when stuff screws up and the undo doesn't help you you can go back to a known spot and start anew.

Why would you disable it? When its working properly it a god send. It has saved me many times both in terms of going back to a previous versions of a scene and recovering from a crash. Its also great for getting previous versions of surfaces after you have messed with them. It is like an undo that works across multiple scene and modeling sessions. If you dont use it you are losing out. If Jeric had been using it on that scene that spherical mentioned above he would have been able to go back to a version that was working.

jwiede
05-01-2016, 04:59 AM
If Jeric had been using it on that scene that spherical mentioned above he would have been able to go back to a version that was working.

If it actually worked, you mean... and you've provided evidence it does not. :devil:

lertola2
05-01-2016, 06:47 AM
That is true. But even so it is a a fantastic feature. And it is not completely broken. And the Modeler version works perfectly.

jwiede
05-01-2016, 04:54 PM
That is true. But even so it is a a fantastic feature. And it is not completely broken. And the Modeler version works perfectly.

Fair pt, and I actually agree, autosave is very useful when it works.

Also, I can confirm that in LW2015.3 (Mac64, will confirm against Win64 shortly), Autosave Scene doesn't appear to function in Layout, even when unsaved attributes are present. Took all of about 30 secs to setup, and 1 additional minute to verify.

Really mystified by the folks lauding LW2015's "stability", esp. w.r.t. how they define that term.

jwiede
05-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Also, I can confirm that in LW2015.3 (Mac64, will confirm against Win64 shortly), Autosave Scene doesn't appear to function in Layout, even when unsaved attributes are present.

(sigh) It appears "Autosave Scene" only functions in Layout when "Autosave Objects" is also activated. Both on = works, Scene-only = doesn't work. 8~ -> :bangwall:

jeric_synergy
05-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Jeric has reported something in another thread that may be related.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?150695-Days-of-rendering-now-loading-the-LWS-crashes-Layout
Could be the same issue.
Unfortunately I was wrong about that: I'd enabled AUTOSAVE only in Modeler, so can't contribute on Layout LWS Autosave.

But if Jweide is correct, replicating this issue is not much work.
++++++++++

But if you save your scene incremental it stops working. Or if you use the Save As... command and save the scene with a new name it also stops working. Oddly it will continue to save any objects that change but not scenes. I was annoyed for the hundredth time today that I had no backup scene saved in the backup folder after a crash. So at least I know not to use Save Scene Increment any more or if I do I need to close and open the scene again.
Oh g*dd*mn... shades of "LOAD RECENT SCENE" not working with increments. --How is it the same team that can write a PBR renderer trip over their....shoelaces on this penny-ante stuff? 8~

Please report these bugs. At least then we have the moral high ground. :devil:

lertola2
05-01-2016, 10:52 PM
Please report these bugs.

Yea. I did report it.

spherical
05-02-2016, 12:03 AM
(sigh) It appears "Autosave Scene" only functions in Layout when "Autosave Objects" is also activated. Both on = works, Scene-only = doesn't work. 8~ -> :bangwall:

Heh. Well, that's logical.... NOT! <Insert Peter Boyle as The Monster breaking the wall when Gene Hackman as The Blind Hermit shatters his mug in a toast.>