PDA

View Full Version : Help with a spherical deformation

digitalimagery
03-07-2016, 04:46 PM
I've attached a logo symbol that I need to model. I built the basic shape, subdivided it and am trying to make it appear as if it were partially wrapped on a large ball making it somewhat spherical. I've managed to successfully deform it in x and/or y but isn't there some method of pushing out the center in a sphere ish form?

Thanks for any suggestions -may not be able to respond until morning.
DI

djwaterman
03-07-2016, 07:45 PM
This should be easy using Heat Shrink, first just use a single layer of the logo shape with no depth Dimension and make a sphere with quite a lot of segments and size it up to get the right amount of curvature for the logo. With the sphere positioned in a background layer and your logo positioned close to the sphere in the active layer use heat shrink and it should deform to wrap onto the sphere. Then you can use what ever method you want to thicken the deformed logo.

lertola2
03-07-2016, 08:01 PM
I always seem to be suggesting using the bend deformer. In post #13 in this thread I posted a scene that bends a flat map into a sphere: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149598-Sphere-a-ficate&highlight=bend. You could use a similar setup to bend your logo.

digitalimagery
03-08-2016, 08:16 AM
This should be easy using Heat Shrink, first just use a single layer of the logo shape with no depth Dimension and make a sphere with quite a lot of segments and size it up to get the right amount of curvature for the logo. With the sphere positioned in a background layer and your logo positioned close to the sphere in the active layer use heat shrink and it should deform to wrap onto the sphere. Then you can use what ever method you want to thicken the deformed logo.

Sweet, I haven't used Heat Shrink yet. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
DI

digitalimagery
03-08-2016, 08:21 AM
I always seem to be suggesting using the bend deformer. In post #13 in this thread I posted a scene that bends a flat map into a sphere: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149598-Sphere-a-ficate&highlight=bend. You could use a similar setup to bend your logo.

You wild man that rocks! Now I agree with one of the responses from the collective. I never thought of (or knew you could) add multiple deformers at the same time in multiple directions simultaneously. In fact, I got a pretty close model by doing it once in one direction and then again in another. As always, turning to the experts opened my eyes and taught me something.

Thanks so much.
DI

digitalimagery
03-08-2016, 08:31 AM

So. When "attempting to use the bend tool, I get and icon which when placed in a certain point in 3D space, generates bends as I drag it but how do I add multiple points and "see" those points? Are you doing this in Modeler or Layout? I'm assuming layout where it's animating.

DI

jeric_synergy
03-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Don't we have a native tool that 'drapes' geometry along an axis ('drapes' works as a description if it's along the -Y axis). HeatShrink SHOULD work, but just scanning for alternatives.

With this particular logo, I'd think a BEND, MIRROR, CLONEx3 would be plenty, starting w/half of one of the elements.

lertola2
03-08-2016, 11:33 AM
So. When "attempting to use the bend tool, I get and icon which when placed in a certain point in 3D space, generates bends as I drag it but how do I add multiple points and "see" those points? Are you doing this in Modeler or Layout? I'm assuming layout where it's animating.

DI

You use the bend deformers in Layout. You just use nulls as the control. There is a scene posted in the other thread I linked to above that has this setup.

digitalimagery
03-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Don't we have a native tool that 'drapes' geometry along an axis ('drapes' works as a description if it's along the -Y axis). HeatShrink SHOULD work, but just scanning for alternatives.

With this particular logo, I'd think a BEND, MIRROR, CLONEx3 would be plenty, starting w/half of one of the elements.

That makes sense.

DI

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

DI

digitalimagery
03-08-2016, 12:57 PM
You use the bend deformers in Layout. You just use nulls as the control. There is a scene posted in the other thread I linked to above that has this setup.

Well I thought I could do this with these tips. Apparently I'm still too new to LW to get this from the brief notes. I downloaded that file and although it helps me see the keyframes, I can't even find bend in Layout of LW2015. Where the heck is it? Can someone send me a path or is it nested into a window?

Sorry to be so confused.
DI

digitalimagery
03-08-2016, 01:32 PM

So DJ,

That Heat Shrink worked really well. Can you tell me a way to extrude my deformed geometry in such a way as to keep the extrusion 90 perpendicular to the new curved surface? Thanks for your help. Result attached.

DI

Ztreem
03-08-2016, 02:14 PM
So DJ,

That Heat Shrink worked really well. Can you tell me a way to extrude my deformed geometry in such a way as to keep the extrusion 90 perpendicular to the new curved surface? Thanks for your help. Result attached.

DI

Use the thicken tool.

jeric_synergy
03-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Yes, THICKEN , and/or possibly SMOOTH SHIFT, or EXTEND followed by NORMAL MOVE.