PDA

View Full Version : separate windows for each view

stib
12-10-2003, 05:05 PM
One thing that annoys me about just about all 3D programmes i've ever used is the way you have to have all your viewports in one window. Why not allow separate, resizeable windows with a viewport in each? On a two monitor setup this would be heaven.

Mylenium
12-11-2003, 02:54 AM
If you look closely at the LW 8 screenshots posted elsewhere there is a little note symbol in the right upper corner of viewports. This suggest that each viewport could be torn off into a separate window. Let's hope, I'm right ;o).

Mylenium

evenflcw
12-11-2003, 04:27 AM
If only! But I think that's just the new Single View On/Off button. Proton mentioned quite early that they had added a button for all those who run LW on notebooks, seeing as they don't have a proper numerical keypad (so they have no 0/Ins to press which is the default hotkey). Why this was such a big priority I don't know, as the function can be remapped to any key. But it doesn't hurt to have it up there I guess. Still hope you're right and I'm wrong. I like the idea of being able to create any number of standalone viewports, and if you could set them to view different cameras all the better.

Dodgy
12-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Have you used packages like that? The layout gets messy very quickly. People here have been complaining that there's too many windows already, and I tend to agree with them. Real 3d had this, and I found it became too cluttered, especially if you have to have menus along the top of each of the windows.

Being able to view from different cameras in different panels would be useful ( a head cam, main cam etc) but I don't think that'd be posible in the current paradigm.

Mylenium
12-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Standalone viewports are very nice.... It gives you just that amount of extra control. For instance you could have a separate viewport just for selecting items with everything you do not want to see hidden. Add to that the ability to render each view (kind of VIPER realtime feedback) and an option to have any editor inside that torn off window (very much like Maya) and a whole new way of working opens up.

That's surely not meant for single screens, but many people use 2 monitors (or even 3) and as recent studies have proven, multiple monitors generally enhance efficiency (which makes me wonder why even such big companies like ILM, Dreamworks and DD punish their employees by making them work on old and ugly 17" single screeners).

Mylenium