PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: quick adding divisions in Edges --- "EDGE KNIFE"

jeric_synergy
03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Lots of dumb questions coming in the next few days...

Is there a function that will divide an Edge, just like DIVIDE does, BUT that leaves the resulting two Edges Selected?

AND:
Is there a tool that's nice and sloppy like KNIFE, that would cut into a poly but only leave points on the edge, unlike KNIFE?

(The issue here is as my fine motor control deteriorates I really despise those tools that require precise mouse placement. SLICE isn't too bad, but I'd prefer an "(EDGE) KNIFE" because it would be easier.)

Actually, if KNIFE were just mode sensitive, we could keep the functionality/tool count down: it would do as described when the user was in EDGE Mode. :D

spherical
03-07-2016, 12:13 AM
Easy Split does the latter but doesn't do the former, as regards leaving the cut edge(s) selected after the operation.

prometheus
03-07-2016, 06:42 AM
would divide edge work for you ?

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/divideedge.php

art has also made a special version of it, that can be used to divide polylines, not just edges on geometry.

connect tool will if you select to facing edges, split in center, and select the resulting split, but thatīs probably not what you want.

Detail tab edit edges, right mouse click to split..it might also be useful, though it may have nothing to do with your request:)

Sensei
03-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Easy Split does the latter but doesn't do the former, as regards leaving the cut edge(s) selected after the operation.

Because it cannot.
Interactive tools cannot select/deselect elements.
At least prior 2015 SDK.

Anyway, it would not have too much sense: whole point of selecting elements, is to restrict work only on them.
If first cut would leave them selected, second cut in row, would have to work only with these elements leaved selected by 1st call..
Limiting usefulness of whole operation.
User would have to drop tool, clear selection, and run again, in typical case..

jeric_synergy
03-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Sensei, I don't understand the objection: a proposed EDGE KNIFE would really just be a disguised ADD POINTS, with a different UI. The deal is, I don't like/can't operate the current interactive "ADD POINTS" tools because they require IMO/YMMV too much twiddly mouse work, while KNIFE is a nice big sloppy action. The action, the UI, is what I'm seeking.

Oh, and I'd like this tool to be interactive, a tool, not a command, so I'm not looking for all the dialog based edge dividers.

spherical
03-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Because it cannot.
Interactive tools cannot select/deselect elements.
At least prior 2015 SDK.

I wasn't saying that it should or that it is broken; just reporting to the OP how it works. (Quite well, BTW. Saves having to delete points in the center of polys left by Knife; among other workflow speedups.)

Anyway, it would not have too much sense: whole point of selecting elements, is to restrict work only on them.
If first cut would leave them selected, second cut in row, would have to work only with these elements leaved selected by 1st call..
Limiting usefulness of whole operation.
User would have to drop tool, clear selection, and run again, in typical case..

I agree that leaving elements selected after a multiply operation would normally be a big pain to work with. HOWEVER, I just fiddled around with it again and found that when deselecting Fix N-gons, multiple points can be added to edges WITHOUT having to select/re-select anything. I'm unclear on what the OP was wanting to do with the retained selections after divide, but this is at least one solution

BeeVee
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I like using Edit Edges a lot. Right click on an edge to divide it and left click to move it. Great for adding hardness globally to subds. You only need fine enough motor control to be able to right click on an edge, which is highlighted to make it obvious... :)

B

jeric_synergy
03-07-2016, 10:09 PM
I like using Edit Edges a lot. Right click on an edge to divide it and left click to move it. Great for adding hardness globally to subds. You only need fine enough motor control to be able to right click on an edge, which is highlighted to make it obvious... :)
B
In this case, BeeVee, I'm talking about editing a single, flat poly. AFAICT, Edit Edges, one of my favorite tools, does not really work in this case, as it always equally divides an Edge in twain. ;) IF Edit Edges added a point to a flat poly with the RClick, and then allowed the user to Slide the new point along the Edge (via RDrag), that would be adequate.

BUT, I hasten to add, it's still not UI equivalent to slicing an Edge where you want it with something similar to Knife. FWIW, I feel the logical place for this functionality IS in Knife: when in Edge Mode, Knife should cut Edges. --Not holding my breath.

I need to hop over to TrueArts to refresh my memory of how EasySplit operates. --Actually, it looks like EasySplit does EXACTLY what I want, as illustrated in the first animation. Sensei even explicitly says this is how to use EasySplit as a better way to ADD POINTS. NICE! :thumbsup:

Watch it here:
http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit

spherical
03-07-2016, 10:18 PM
I need to hop over to TrueArts to refresh my memory of how EasySplit operates. --Actually, it looks like EasySplit does EXACTLY what I want, as illustrated in the first animation. Sensei even explicitly says this is how to use EasySplit as a better way to ADD POINTS. NICE! :thumbsup:

Yes, it is. You're welcome. :D

jeric_synergy
03-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes, it is. You're welcome. :D
Shhhh, I'm shilling for Sensei...... :boogiedow

:bowdown: