PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 2016 to help work better with UE4

MichaelT
03-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Hi guys, I think it could be a good idea to have a sticky, where issues with UE4 could be listed. Since UE4 is a major reason why people want to use a 3d modelling and animation tool like Lightwave. I know most prefer (out of lack of good alternatives more than anything else) Maya etc.. But to help promote LW, and its use with UE4. Having a place to list ideas and issues could be very beneficial to Lightwave. I think LW already can do a lot for UE4, but some things are a bit of a hassle right now. One such thing is regarding the lack of smoothing groups in the export. The lack of control regarding smoothing, have been going on for many years. I think it is high time to fix this for this release. Before someone says 'Modo', yes it can export. But it offers little to no control over the results. It is so bad you need to configure export settings first, change menu entirely, and export directly. Not to mention you can end up with flickering objects upon import. In other words, LW exports better, just not any smoothing. Which is kind of a great deal :)

I know some might think it is useless, because they don't use UE4, or may not see the point. But I personally think it would help a great deal if LW could be made to work better with gaming creation suites like Unreal Engine 4.

hrgiger
03-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Well I dont know if youve seen it or not but Modo is putting a dedicated workspace into the next version specifically for the creation of game assets and exporting to unreal and unity. They already have smoothing groups, retopology, live baking in preview... with LW having fallen so far behind with modeling and now transitioning modeling into layout in future releases, it will probably be a while before LW could become a more gane friendly app. LW3DG got a flurry of requests for smoothing groups last year after a discussion on facebook so im sure theyre already well aware of the need for them in LW.

MichaelT
03-06-2016, 02:49 PM
No I haven't seen that (regarding Modo) but then I am not following it that closely any more. Still, it only means they need more focus on it, because most money is found in the gaming industry today. They absolutely need to get LW working with UE4 (and preferably Unity also) Which is also why I keep repeating about putting it on Steam. Those kids now grow up with Maya LT, Modo Indie & Blender. All on Steam.

hrgiger
03-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Supposed to be a press releases soon about Modo 10 and it looks like it focuses almost entirely on games and AR/VR.

spherical
03-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Should focus on bug fixes and stability. :D

hrgiger
03-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Cant say I disagree with that notion. However, it doesn't change the fact that while certainly you can use LW to create assets for games, its lacking in a lot of core features needed for efficient game workflow. Having all but ignored modeling for so long has not helped the situation.

MichaelT
03-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Well, here is an opportunity to list those deficiencies ;)

hrgiger
03-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Well a lot of these things have been asked for and listed ad nauseum, and LW3DG should be aware of what is needed by now. But if they were serious about delivering game friendly features, a few things they should consider adding or should improve:

Improved UV tools
tools for LOD generation
Poly optimization tools
Smoothing groups
metalness workflow for use in Unreal and Unity
Export to both Unreal and Unity
Better viewport between LW viewport and game engine
Retopology tools
Improved Baking tools
Substance Integration

Retopology would be next to useless in Modeler because performance is so weak it would be painful to work with. So some things are probably going to have to wait until they move modeling functionality to Layout which won't be at least for another version if not more.

MichaelT
03-08-2016, 03:55 AM
Metalness I think is covered since they have PBR in the coming version. Substance integration would be quite nice :) Retopo is definitely needed, I am so used doing it in another program that this actually escaped me :(
But anyway, I whish I could update my original post. I would be nice to compile all of these into a nice list there.

hrgiger
03-08-2016, 04:30 AM
Pbr doesn't necessarily imply it will have a metalness workflow, there's been no indication on that for LW next.

MichaelT
03-08-2016, 05:37 AM
True, but I have no doubt that using a specular color/intensity map would make things much different. The latter giving you more control, as metalness by itself can introduce artifacts. Either way, I have Quixel for that type of work :) But I know very little of the new version.. other than it supporting PBR (and other things they mentioned)