PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp 2016 to LightWave 2015?

THREEL
03-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Honestly, this is more of a question about SketchUp, but it does relate to LightWave. For some reason SketchUp is not seeing my internet connection in IE, which is how SketchUp accesses the internet, even though I've tried pretty much every option I could find through Google searches. My ultimate goal is to bring in a Geolocation to SketchUp, and then, export that mesh to LightWave 2015. So, I can import that geometry into Lightwave and use it as a template to create landscape geometry. Anyone have any insight on how I can fix this?

Thanks!

prometheus
03-09-2016, 02:23 AM
I still only use th sketchup 8 version, since that is the only one working with the lwo exporter I think, unfortunatly it means I can not get geolocations since that requeires newer versions.

The Lw team should really try and work on som interchange format for this, seen quite a lot of folks needing to render out their sketchup scenes, so why not make it possible for lightwave..it would be the cheapest combo.

Michael

Ztreem
03-09-2016, 04:52 AM
Doesn't sketchup export collada files anymore?

ianr
03-09-2016, 05:42 AM
SketchUp Collada export is A MESS when everything arrives in LW.

Prom's right in this, it's a interpretation issue.

I had a Huge Archvis model torn apart by Collada export into 3,000

mesh seperate LWO files from SketchUp. It's not a 2015 Pipe worthy.

There is Polytrans by NuGraf out there, which can do the job.

But the demo will 'cull' every 5th Polygon.

Ztreem
03-09-2016, 07:11 AM
SketchUp Collada export is A MESS when everything arrives in LW.

Prom's right in this, it's a interpretation issue.

I had a Huge Archvis model torn apart by Collada export into 3,000

mesh seperate LWO files from SketchUp. It's not a 2015 Pipe worthy.

There is Polytrans by NuGraf out there, which can do the job.

But the demo will 'cull' every 5th Polygon.

Ah ok, but maybe it works for the geolocation thing?
I use Rhino as a converter for CAD and Sketchup files.
I Think the trial version of Rhino allows for 30 saves wihtout any limitation.

lardbros
03-09-2016, 07:18 AM
Very sorry, I've been through this recently, and the best option for me was to go via 3ds max.
3d Studio loads Sketchup files natively, so I then just exported it to FBX. This worked perfectly, but unfortunately you need 3ds Max as an importer 'plugin' :)

You could grab a trial of 3ds Max and do it that way?

ianr
03-09-2016, 09:10 AM
HELLO LW3DG,

Prom's idea of a LW 2016 SketchUp IMPORTER

is a worthy consideration. As he infers it would bring over more

customers, Surely?

THREEL
03-09-2016, 10:17 PM
My thing right now is the fact I cannot even get any Geo-locations to load in SketchUp 2016 as the program will not even see my internet connection. Until I am able to get terrain to come into SketchUp, I do not need to worry about exporting it to lightWave. :( Is there another 3D world map software that you can get terrain and bring it into LightWave?

prometheus
03-10-2016, 02:16 AM
HELLO LW3DG,

Prom's idea of a LW 2016 SketchUp IMPORTER

is a worthy consideration. As he infers it would bring over more

customers, Surely?

Here in sweden we´ve been having a boom of immigrants, and also long time suffering from lack of building apartments for young people, the branch market for selling building tools as well as new projects for building homes are increasing very much now..so in that wake..I am sure sketchup will be used sometimes for projecting buildings and other stuff, thus more companies looking for someone with that knowledge..and probably a simple cheap solution to render as well...so yea, why not.
The whole building and construction section...is one of the most fastes and largest growing sectors for work now in sweden..and all that comes with that.

- - - Updated - - -

My thing right now is the fact I cannot even get any Geo-locations to load in SketchUp 2016 as the program will not even see my internet connection. Until I am able to get terrain to come into SketchUp, I do not need to worry about exporting it to lightWave. :( Is there another 3D world map software that you can get terrain and bring it into LightWave?

sounds strange..have you asked on the sketchup forums, try google or firefox as native browser, must jut be a setting somewhere.

kopperdrake
03-10-2016, 02:17 AM
I would agree. Many smaller architects are using Sketchup in their workflow in the UK, and would love to have the Sketchup > LightWave pipeline more fluid to up the level of render out-house.

pinkmouse
03-10-2016, 02:35 AM
Fact is, LW needs a revamp for all pipeline work, not just SU, but as per the other thread UE and Unity, and many others besides. Hopefully, LW Next will address these interchange problems.

prometheus
03-10-2016, 02:42 AM
I would agree. Many smaller architects are using Sketchup in their workflow in the UK, and would love to have the Sketchup > LightWave pipeline more fluid to up the level of render out-house.

yeah..I know of a woman who does interiors with sketchup, but she needs help rendering it out..payed job...might contact her, but if she is working with the latest sketchup versions..that might be a problem, then it competes with probably already finished solution with 3d max and vray especially.

Michael.

prometheus
03-10-2016, 02:45 AM
this might be of help maybe..
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?119720-PIPELINE-Lightwave-to-sketchup&highlight=pipeline+sketchup

kopperdrake
03-10-2016, 07:09 AM
It's the other way round for me - models from architects in Sketchup, into LW. For some reason I seem to be getting a lot of overlapping geometry, but there's probably a setting I need to tweak somewhere. Next time I have time I'll have another bash.

prometheus
03-10-2016, 08:10 AM
It's the other way round for me - models from architects in Sketchup, into LW. For some reason I seem to be getting a lot of overlapping geometry, but there's probably a setting I need to tweak somewhere. Next time I have time I'll have another bash.

That was just some tips for going lightwave to sketchup for dimension lines, or to make components from lightwave objects if you want that with correct scaling etc..the whole thread is about a general pipeline, and with that comes export to lightwave, not sure if the lwo exporter is posted in there as an link.