PDA

View Full Version : Advice?: repeating / coalescing 3d assembly/logo

jeric_synergy
03-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Just about to embark on this, and realized I have no real idea how to efficiently approach this. "Efficient" is paramount because it's really only a small bit of a 360 environment and I want to do it quickly:

the idea IS:

logo of ~10 parts
I want them to cycle continuously thru a cloud of parts,
and then to periodically reform into their proper locations,
and I would want it to be a continuous motion, ie not 'ping-ponging'.
Oh, and no collisions.

We've all seen dynamic sculptures that do this-- smoothly continuously moving parts. About the only bit that's not esp. common in RL is the resolution into a specific shape, i.e. the logo.

What might be a way to approach this? I expect the term "lowest common divisor" to appear somewhere in the discussion. :)

(Oh, and they don't have to be connected, they just float about.)

ernpchan
03-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Aren't you talking about a looping animation? Isn't it just a matter of animating the parts flying and forming the logo and then flying back to the start to loop back?

jeric_synergy
03-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Well, if you DON'T mean 'pingponging', yes.

I think one way forward will be with offset null pivots , almost like a bunch of invisible gears. I want it to be fairly mysterious though, not straightforward. Also, I don't want to spend more than 2 hours animating it.

MonroePoteet
03-08-2016, 08:07 AM
The collision detection requirement almost requires Bullet, IMO. Without that requirement, a DP Parts Move fed by a scaled, moving Procedural would work. Sample scene attached. DP Parts Move is fed by a Bump Layer of a 500% Procedural Turbulence moving in both X and Z. This is multiplied by the X,Y,Z vector position of ControllerNull to apply the displacement, and then not (I oscillated ControllerNull between 0,0,0 and 1,1,1 every 20 frames for the sample).

Kinda cool even if the logo parts pass through each other occasionally.

mTp