PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice: Upgrade to Lightwave 2015 or wait for next version?

Paul_Boland
03-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Hi Folks.

Looking for a bit of advice on this matter... I'm currently working away in Lightwave 10 and after years of saving (and setbacks) I'm nearly within reach of affording to upgrade to Lightwave 2015. However, the question now is, should I go for it, or wait for the next version to be released? I'd hate to upgrade to 2015 and then the next day Lightwave 2016 is released! Does anyone know how close the next version of Lightwave is to release? And if I hold out for it, will the price go up even more!!

prometheus
03-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Hi Folks.

Looking for a bit of advice on this matter... I'm currently working away in Lightwave 10 and after years of saving (and setbacks) I'm nearly within reach of affording to upgrade to Lightwave 2015. However, the question now is, should I go for it, or wait for the next version to be released? I'd hate to upgrade to 2015 and then the next day Lightwave 2016 is released! Does anyone know how close the next version of Lightwave is to release? And if I hold out for it, will the price go up even more!!

If one only knew when it comes out and if one only knew how stable 2016 will be, for me 2015 has been very very proned to crash, canīt compare it to any other version...it just crashes all the time in different situations.
If jumping in on 2015 will get you a better deal for 2016 ..you might want to, otherwise..I would say wait till the 2016 release.

You need to form an opinion about the crashes based on what other users say too of course, it could be on my end too, but if others also experience a lot of crashes...well.

spherical
03-04-2016, 09:47 PM
We're pretty sure that LightWave Next won't be released for some time. If a deal comes along, I'd recommend jumping on it. During the previous special, where users could upgrade to 2015 from any version and secure the $295 upgrade price for future versions, we upgraded our second seat. I was already at 2015 at the time, so grandfathered into the new pricing schedule.

djwaterman
03-04-2016, 10:46 PM
If you can afford it now just go for it, even if they release the next version you don't have to upgrade immediately, I don't plan on doing so, I'll watch all the promo material, monitor the users on the forum and in my own good time I'll upgrade when it suits me financially. You will have plenty to grapple with playing with all the new things in the current version if you're coming from version 10. Does LW 2015 crash a lot? Guess it would depend on what you do with it, Prometheus does lots of hypervoxel stuff for example. What is the price to upgrade from version 10?

spherical
03-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Just checked a v8.5 seat that is in our account and it's still at $395 to upgrade from it to 2015. AND, that is the price to get LightWave 2015, Chronosculpt and NevronMotion. What's not to like?

prometheus
03-04-2016, 11:16 PM
If you can afford it now just go for it, even if they release the next version you don't have to upgrade immediately, I don't plan on doing so, I'll watch all the promo material, monitor the users on the forum and in my own good time I'll upgrade when it suits me financially. You will have plenty to grapple with playing with all the new things in the current version if you're coming from version 10. Does LW 2015 crash a lot? Guess it would depend on what you do with it, Prometheus does lots of hypervoxel stuff for example. What is the price to upgrade from version 10?

Attention to new volumetrics was One part of my decision to upgrade, not the only one though.
I said to myself though that I wouldnīt upgrade anymore... unless I could see some attention to hypervoxels, so that was taken care of...though it may take quite some time still until it is released, but at least I
know itīs on itīs way and not neglected.

bazsa73
03-04-2016, 11:55 PM
LW 2015 was a quality leap for me.
Just a few things I noticed recently:
-Multiple item handling has been improved a lot
-Image editor imports mp4 which is a huge time saver, in earlier versions I had to convert the videos into image sequence
-Particles emitted from a surface in realtime, no need to calculate every time you adjust a slider
and more...

prometheus
03-05-2016, 01:20 AM
LW 2015 was a quality leap for me.
Just a few things I noticed recently:
-Multiple item handling has been improved a lot
-Image editor imports mp4 which is a huge time saver, in earlier versions I had to convert the videos into image sequence
-Particles emitted from a surface in realtime, no need to calculate every time you adjust a slider
and more...

Uhhmm...must check that with the particles.

otherwise...faster radiosity, also improvement of volumetric lights in terms of speed with vpr.

erikals
03-05-2016, 04:27 AM
if you're a starving artist... Upgrade Now!

you'll save about $100

Paul_Boland
03-05-2016, 05:49 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. It will cost me €450 (why can't I get it for US$399??? :( ). Being long term unemployed it has taken me years to save this up but I'm within striking distance of it now (providing no unexpected expenditure comes up!). If I wait for 2016 and the price goes up I'll be stuck again. I'd love to see one more price discount offer promo run by Newtek/LW3DG, I'd jump on it instantly. I appreciate the feedback, I should have the money in the next week or so, so I'll have to give this some serious consideration...

lightscape
03-05-2016, 06:02 AM
Wait for the next version. I recall you only do modelling and that doesn't need the greatest and latest.

erikals
03-05-2016, 06:05 AM
...it will cost me €450
...why can't I get it for $399

new rules...

over here we also pay an additional 25% tax

if you cannot afford it i suggest skipping both 2015 and 2016, and wait for 2017

or get Houdini Indie

you should not forget though that LightWave is a professional tool

LWG needs cash like anyone else on this planet   http://www.veryicon.com/icon/32/Nature/Space/Saturn.png

Wade
03-05-2016, 06:16 AM
upgrading for me has worked when I have upgraded as the new release is offered. As I see it I get the most use out of each release and save some time and effort with the new features. Upgrade now and stay up to date then you just don't have to worry about it. As it turns out this has saved me a great deal of money getting the discounts as well. My 2 cents.

hrgiger
03-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Well we know the price is going up for the next version. If you dont upgrade now, you will have to pay $795 for the next upgrade. Upgrade now, and the upgrade to lw next will be $295. If the sale is still valid now for $395, id jump on it to save $100 overall.

erikals
03-05-2016, 06:40 AM
... +25% tax

jasonwestmas
03-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Yeah save money in the long run and upgrade now. You get rewarded by keeping up to date according to the new upgrade policy. The renderer is very stable on my end and it looks great.

djwaterman
03-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Yeah I forgot about the ChronoSculpt and Nevron bundle, do it now while you still have the money. Or don't, it's up to you.

hrgiger
03-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Keep in mind, I wouldnt be in favor of upgrading now just to get easier access to 2016 when its released before you really know how good it is. I guess im just saying if youre pretty sure you might want it, upgrading now would probably be better moneywise then waiting.

erikals
03-05-2016, 12:38 PM
2015 had a quite limited Modeler update
2016 looks to have a limited Modeler update as well

so if you're basically a modeller, maybe look into LWcad or such...

Paul_Boland
03-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the continued feedback. I do rendering an animation too, as well as 3D printing, so not just modelling. I should have my final funds in place next week so I'll see how I fair. Thanks, appreciate the advice.

bobakabob
03-05-2016, 01:00 PM
I would upgrade if you can afford. As has been pointed out Nevron and Chronosculpt come with the package ( for how long isn't certain). and the new developments on the blog look fantastic.

Marander
03-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Well we know the price is going up for the next version. If you dont upgrade now, you will have to pay $795 for the next upgrade. Upgrade now, and the upgrade to lw next will be $295. If the sale is still valid now for $395, id jump on it to save $100 overall.

Yes the price is going up but for how many weeks until they will start their constant sale again. I would bet that within a short time the regular update price will be $495 or less and the full license about $795. And they will continue with their 5 days only last chance cheap sale for the following months again. Same as Corel and few other software companies. Just makes the product look cheap in my opinion. Fool me once, fool me twice...

But I think coming from a very old version the upgrade price of $395 or $495 to 2015 is fair.

hrgiger
03-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Yes the price is going up but for how many weeks until they will start their constant sale again. I would bet that within a short time the regular update price will be $495 or less and the full license about $795. And they will continue with their 5 days only last chance cheap sale for the following months again. Same as Corel and few other software companies. Just makes the product look cheap in my opinion. Fool me once, fool me twice...

But I think coming from a very old version the upgrade price of $395 or $495 to 2015 is fair.

Yes, I do agree they need to consider how they run their sales. Previously, the promotions would come here and there. In the last several months, it seems like its been constant. Perhaps its because of their plans to change the price, it gives them an opportunity to say, he we gave you several months of reduced cost, you should have taken advantage of it. Or perhaps, someone is just asleep in the marketing department.

lightscape
03-05-2016, 06:59 PM
You might also consider Modo Indie. They just added Substance support.
I don't see anything on the blog about third party pbr support, or any updates at all for several weeks.

spherical
03-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Keep in mind, I wouldnt be in favor of upgrading now just to get easier access to 2016 when its released before you really know how good it is.

Really? I'm seriously impressed as to the advancements shown so far and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Will there be the normal growing pains? Yes. Comes with the territory. Will this period last forever? No. It is a totally new direction and there will be a period of service pack updates to cover all that, pretty much like v9.x. I'm good with it and wish the Dev Team well, as it is a major undertaking that they have mounted.

We just upgraded our third seat last night, even though we don't have any butt in that seat right now. At least a portion of the decision was to send a little support to the Dev Team, The other portion was, of course, to take advantage of that which is a great deal. One application upgraded to current and Two new applications added into the mix.... for less than $400. Again, what's not to like? We voted with our checkbook to provide a demonstrated object example that LW3DG has made a good decision in their pricing formula; as opposed to other well known companies who would easily rape their customer base over and over again.

Agreed that the VAT thing sucks, which makes it appear to be not as good a deal. However, as I understand it, the VAT applies across everything, so it still is a good deal. You just can't fall into comparing country to country. IOW, comparing European price without the special and European price with the special still ends up being a good deal. Jump on it now and, as I understand it, save serious cash in the future. Even if you end up not using ChronoSculpt and NevronMotion, it still is a great opportunity. Upgrading that one seat through the years would have cost WAY more than $400.

CaptainMarlowe
03-05-2016, 10:50 PM
2015 had a quite limited Modeler update
2016 looks to have a limited Modeler update as well

so if you're basically a modeller, maybe look into LWcad or such...

But there were some interesting modeler enhancements in LW 11.5 and 11.6 including on the 3D printing side. Since the OP is still on 10, he would benefit these enhancements also.
I joined the 2015 version only a few months ago, but I'm happy with it, and I didn't notice many more crashes than before, so stability has not been a problem for me.

hrgiger
03-06-2016, 02:46 AM
Really? I'm seriously impressed as to the advancements shown so far and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Will there be the normal growing pains? Yes. Comes with the territory. Will this period last forever? No. It is a totally new direction and there will be a period of service pack updates to cover all that, pretty much like v9.x. I'm good with it and wish the Dev Team well, as it is a major undertaking that they have mounted.

People who have used LightWave for any length of time should know by now not to upgrade before evaluating the software or at least given a favorable impression from others who have used the software. We've only been given glimpses of the software as it stands, certainly not enough to base an upgrade decision on. Will I upgrade? Probably but ultimately that decision won't be made until I see the final deliverables. I'm happy they're addressing architecture concerns but right now the information has been too vague to say with 100% certainty that it will be worth upgrading for. My 'probably' answer stems from the fact that I'm on the current version and $295 is a very affordable upgrade, almost an afterthought especially if the improvements shown thus far prove to be significant advancements for LW.

jwiede
03-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Or perhaps, someone is just asleep in the marketing department.

Or possibly dead.

Seriously, some sign of marketing life would be reassuring.

Snosrap
03-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Agreed that the VAT thing sucks, which makes it appear to be not as good a deal.

Yep, but that's not NT's fault. I for some reason have to pay sales tax on LW upgrades because in the states NT's 3rd party administrator of sales is based in Ohio. That totally sucks for me! :)

Paul_Boland
03-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the continued feedback. If all goes to plan tomorrow, I'll have my savings in place so fingers crossed (X)!!

jwiede
03-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the continued feedback. If all goes to plan tomorrow, I'll have my savings in place so fingers crossed (X)!!

I've kind of held back from chiming in on this, mostly because I'm of such mixed opinions regarding LW2015. I'm having pretty nasty stability problems with the Mac version of LW2015.3, enough so that I find myself working in 11.6.3 when trying to get specific results from plugins, etc. LW2015 has (a few) nice features, no question, but IMO it's a definite quality slip from LW11.x. From that perspective, I find it difficult to recommend upgrading to LW2015, when I can't even convince myself to keep using it. It's almost a shame that upgrading to LW2015 for you won't include the ability to use LW11, if it did I'd strongly recommend upgrading to LW2015 and then just working in LW11.6.3 until something better comes along.

I do tend to agree with Marander that given LW3DG sales practices over the last year, I have a difficult time believing the stated $795 upgrade-for-non-current pricing and $1495 full license pricing will hang around for long. Every time LW3DG has tried to raise prices in recent years, they've wound up quickly discounting them below where they were prior to the price hike. Those discounts suggest sales must have just about ceased at the much higher price points LW3DG tried pre-discount, in order to motivate such discounting. It's obvious to me that even with discounts, market and sales still aren't doing that well, because the pricing ultimately still continues to slip. I have difficulty picturing them holding firm with $795 upgrade pricing and $1495 or whatever new seat pricing for any length of time in such a scenario.

Time will tell. I guess my point is, if LW2015 doesn't offer enough value to justify upgrade cost to you, waiting isn't likely to incur much higher pricing down the road a bit. Ofc, there's always a chance that LW3DG might close up shop, but aside from that, I suspect you'll be able to get LW.Next/LW2016/whatever for as much (perhaps even less) than you'd pay to upgrade to LW2015. Thing is, there's also a good chance with all the work they've talked about putting into LW2016, it could represent even more of a stability issue than LW2015 at release (and for quite a few months afterwards, based on history). Since you wouldn't necessarily have access to LW2015 after upgrading to LW2016, you'd be even further from a stable fall-back. I'm a bit concerned you'll be dissatisfied with LW2015's stability, but at the same time, upgrading to LW2016 won't necessarily make the stability situation any better.

In that regard, I really do believe LW3DG needs to give upgraders to LW2015 access to LW11 as well (likewise giving LW2016 upgraders access to both LW2015 and LW11, and so forth). Since LW2016 is forcing users to back-track versions for backwards compatibility anyway, might as well let users select which prior versions they consider the most stable for backwards compatibility usage. For customers without dongles, there's no point in offering further back than LW11, they cannot use earlier versions. For those of us with dongles, just let us have access back through LW10 or LW9.x same as it is now for us. At least that way, customers who find LW2015's stability an issue, and need a stable "legacy renderer" version have at least LW11 as an alternative.

As for your specific situation, Paul, I'd recommend contacting LW3DG and seeing if there's any way they'll also give you access to at least LW11.6.3 if you upgrade to LW2015. If so, that would be a compelling reason to go with the LW2015 upgrade, versus waiting and upgrading to LW2016/LW.Next.

Snosrap
03-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Crazy $h!t jwiede. The world could end tomorrow too. :)

DogBoy
03-07-2016, 01:56 AM
I've kind of held back from chiming in on this, mostly because I'm of such mixed opinions regarding LW2015.

You, holding back on your misgivings? You're joking right? :).

If 2016/2017/NEXT is as big a break from past versions as we're lead to believe, offering a copy of an earlier version would be nice, but it also sends a bad message: they don't trust their new version to do the job. Offering 2 old versions, like you suggest, would be worse. It implies they didn't think 2015 was good enough either. Also it would mean they would have to support 3 versions of their software.

With all due respect, this is the dumbest idea I've seen in a while. If folks are upgrading, they already have access to those earlier versions. If they aren't they get a bunch of installers, each with their own license and issues, for no real rhyme or reason. They would have bought in because they were sold on the content of LW-Next not on the legacy stuff. For them it would be better to focus on newer work-flows then make them juggle a"what works where" hodge-podge.

pinkmouse
03-07-2016, 02:08 AM
... It implies they didn't think 2015 was good enough either...

Having tried demo version of all three point releases on my mac, it isn't.

My advice. If you're flush with cash, and on 11.6, then upgrade, (but keep an 11.6 install). If you're not flush, don't bother. If you're running anything earlier than 11.6, upgrade, the benefits outweigh the problems.

Kaptive
03-07-2016, 03:17 AM
I'm having pretty nasty stability problems with the Mac version of LW2015.3,

Probably worth keeping in mind if you are on a Mac. I've barely had any issues on the windows based version. Maybe the odd (rare) crash or hang.. but nothing that sticks in my mind as serious.

When it comes to regular crashes and problems (like Prom was mentioning) I've often found that it is something to do with the install... maybe something unique on the machine it is installed on. My friend who also uses Lightwave seems to suffer more problems than me for no particular reason.

The best advice I'd give to anyone that uses Lightwave as their main software is to give their whole PC a fresh install, do all the updates, and then install Lightwave first before anything else.
A clean install of Windows and Lightwave really does help a lot. It might seem like a major pain in the bottom, but how often do you install Lightwave? If it installs well, then it is every couple of years perhaps. PCs get so clogged up with rubbish that it is worth it for the speed increases alone.

So long as you keep all your files on a seperate drive, and email in the cloud, that sort of thing, it really isn't a big deal and would take maybe half a day. Worth considering, because like I say, this current version of LW seems pretty stable to me.

I have no experience with Macs, but I'd be tempted to move to PC if I had that many problems on that platform. It sounds lke a headache.

DogBoy
03-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Having tried demo version of all three point releases on my mac, it isn't.
Damn, but then in that case they had better improve their Mac testing. IMO it is an area that seems to keep getting a lack of attention.

My advice. If you're flush with cash, and on 11.6, then upgrade, (but keep an 11.6 install). If you're not flush, don't bother. If you're running anything earlier than 11.6, upgrade, the benefits outweigh the problems.

Yeah, I'd agree. Buy in on 2015, there is a lot of good stuff, though obviously there are issues on Macs.

The Dommo
03-07-2016, 08:49 AM
@Paul_Boland

Sorry to hear about the unemployment.

If you've still not managed to get the cash in the next couple of weeks, and IF a certain 3D project I've quoted on goes ahead very soon, then I'll donate some wonga to your LW fund. All depends on that project landing here though, I'm afraid.

Best regards,
Dom

Thanks for all the feedback. It will cost me €450 (why can't I get it for US$399??? :( ). Being long term unemployed it has taken me years to save this up but I'm within striking distance of it now (providing no unexpected expenditure comes up!). If I wait for 2016 and the price goes up I'll be stuck again. I'd love to see one more price discount offer promo run by Newtek/LW3DG, I'd jump on it instantly. I appreciate the feedback, I should have the money in the next week or so, so I'll have to give this some serious consideration...

Paul_Boland
03-07-2016, 10:28 AM
@Paul_Boland

If you've still not managed to get the cash in the next couple of weeks, and IF a certain 3D project I've quoted on goes ahead very soon, then I'll donate some wonga to your LW fund. All depends on that project landing here though, I'm afraid.

Best regards,
Dom

Oh my!! Dom, THANK YOU so much for such a generous offer but I wouldn't take money off anyone to help me get something for me. It sucks being unemployed but it also makes me realise how careful you have to be with your budget and you can't just give money away to me, you have your own bills and groceries and life to live. I am HUGELY touched by such a generous offer but I gracefully decline it. I'm a good saver. When I want something I save for it. It takes me a long time but I do get there (eventually). I'm not there yet with my Lightwave savings but I should have it next week.

THANK YOU very, very much, I hugely appreciate it, but please put that cash to your own needs.

My very best regards,
Paul.

Kaptive
03-07-2016, 11:35 AM
@Paul_Boland

Best regards,
Dom

That really is a nice offer, what a lovely bloke :)

Well, the thing with saving up for something, you tend to appreciate it more and make the most of it!

Snosrap
03-07-2016, 07:32 PM
I've been saving $5 a week for the new LW Next and have $205 saved already with the help of a fifty I got gifted at Christmas. :)

Spinland
03-08-2016, 06:18 AM
I'm having pretty nasty stability problems with the Mac version of LW2015.3, enough so that I find myself working in 11.6.3 when trying to get specific results from plugins, etc.

Not questioning your experiences, not in the slightest, but could you offer some examples? My personal experience working with 2015.3 both on a "new" Mac Pro and an older MacBook Pro have been rather solid but I know full well the plural of anecdote is not data and my experiences hardly define those of any other. What plugins have been the most problematic for you? Knowing that would be helpful for me going forward if I ever contemplate adding a troublemaker to my tool set.

I recall the weirdness with Genoma 2 and LWCAD for one, but can't recall any other Mac specific issues. I'm sure there are several.

Thanks!

jwiede
03-09-2016, 12:40 PM
I've quite frequently encountered stability issues (up to Layout crashing outright) when trying to piece together the new dynamics constraints into basic machines and assemblies and running simulations. Looking back, clearly some of that was due to the whole 2GB IFF dynacache limit situation in the more complex cases, but not all can be attributed to the dynacache issue. I was encountering instability even with fairly simplistic constraint assemblies (f.e. a motorcycle rear wheel suspension). BTW, I'm not the only person who encountered instability attempting to use the new Bullet constraints on Mac, if you look around there are a couple other customers' threads about it.

cower
03-09-2016, 11:58 PM
I just upgraded from Lightwave 10 to 2015...Best news it is Dongle free.. In Windows 10 it crashes, but not so much(usually it is in VPR mode) .......

I hope LW Next will have 3rd brush included:) it's still to expensive upgrade to every new version... and looks like modo indie has better pricing offers if you can live whit some limitations...

Spinland
03-10-2016, 06:45 AM
I've quite frequently encountered stability issues (up to Layout crashing outright) when trying to piece together the new dynamics constraints into basic machines and assemblies and running simulations. Looking back, clearly some of that was due to the whole 2GB IFF dynacache limit situation in the more complex cases, but not all can be attributed to the dynacache issue. I was encountering instability even with fairly simplistic constraint assemblies (f.e. a motorcycle rear wheel suspension). BTW, I'm not the only person who encountered instability attempting to use the new Bullet constraints on Mac, if you look around there are a couple other customers' threads about it.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. My own Bullet forays have not been so ambitious, and a while ago I switched to SyFlex so really don't do much with Bullet at all. Hopefully they improve its stability for you.

Surrealist.
03-11-2016, 12:57 AM
LW 2015 is a tad unstable. That is for sure. And I think we will see more of this.

But a vote for upgrading to 2015 is it will likely be the last LW of old. Meaning I think it would be wise to have it around as things continue to break or be incompatible going 2016 and beyond. 2015 brings enough things to the table, despite frequent crashes, to make it worth it to have the last verson of LightWave of old. And since there is little difference in the upgrade path, cost wise, it makes sense to get another version out of the deal.

Paul_Boland
03-11-2016, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Today my savings took a bit of a blow so it's going to be a few weeks while I rebuild them. I will make the upgrade, just going to take a while longer.

erikals
03-11-2016, 10:47 AM
...Today my savings took a bit of a blow...
Hah! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/biggrin.gif

Welcome to My Life! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

jeric_synergy
03-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Stability : the only issue I've had, that I recall, is that I can't get HUB to work unless I fire it up manually (actually, via scripting in AHK). Pretty stable under W10.

OTOH, I don't subject it to near the complexity that jweide does. :(

Norka
03-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Paul, you seem like such a great bloke, and I really hope things turn around for you... I was just looking at your site, and although you will not likely be picking up any art directing gigs any time soon, I am pretty impressed with your programming chops, from what I can tell. Presumably, you can program in C++, Swift, etc... How are you out of work?

At one point in my life, for about a year, I made a very nice chunk of dough, under the table, giving one-on-one 3D and Photoshop lessons to some rich kids (I live in a very affluent town), and this really helped me get through a dry spell/rough patch... maybe teaching/tutoring programming could be a nice side gig for you (doesn't have to be rich kids)?...

jeric_synergy
03-11-2016, 11:34 AM
At one point in my life, for about a year, I made a very nice chunk of dough, under the table, giving one-on-one 3D and Photoshop lessons to some rich kids (I live in a very affluent town), and this really helped me get through a dry spell/rough patch... maybe teaching/tutoring programming could be a nice side gig for you (doesn't have to be rich kids)?...
Seconded: I've made some VERY convenient funds via tutoring. It's a viable side-source (hell, MAIN source if you enjoy it) of income.

I wish I'd hung on to that teaching gig: in retrospect, it was pretty sweet. With teaching, 90% of the effort is in the lesson plans: the second go-round is gravy.

JFYI, I taught Photoshop, AE, LW/LWM, and basic computer skills in the film program. (Surprised how weak the students were in BASIC computer skills.)

Good tip, Norka. :thumbsup:

Paul_Boland
03-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Paul, you seem like such a great bloke, and I really hope things turn around for you... I was just looking at your site, and although you will not likely be picking up any art directing gigs any time soon, I am pretty impressed with your programming chops, from what I can tell. Presumably, you can program in C++, Swift, etc... How are you out of work?

Thanks to everyone for the replies and kind feedback, much appreciated. Don't want to go into too much detail here but it's the most insane story ever! Graduated from college twice with honours in computing. I'm a real I.T. guy, know computers inside and out, hardware and software, programming, Photoshop, Premiere, website development, etc. And yet for the life of me I can't find a job anywhere!?!

Been on many interviews but the jobs are just not coming. While I work hard to keep my I.T. skills up to date, at job interviews I'm surrounded by twenty-something-year-olds who are fresh out of college and they are getting the jobs. If I apply for a non-I.T. job I'm told I'm over qualified for it and I don't get it.

On career advisor number three, the other two gave up on me saying they had never encountered a case like mine before and they didn't know what to do with me. When a career advisor tells you that he/she doesn't know what advice to give you, what do you do!?!

I seem to be stuck in limbo. I do my own software development and write books trying to make ends meet but all I make is pocket money but I don't give up. Lightwave is just a hobby for me, I'm no professional, but I do enjoy it, it allows my imagination to be given visual form, I really enjoy it! I do manage from week to week, make ends meet, but it is tough to be 40 years old and can't get work, and an income, anywhere. I'm now looking at some new options for my future so I'll see where life's path takes me...

Don't have a lot of cash to play with each week but I save what's left over. Unexpected expenditure can really hinder my savings but I'm a good saver and I do get there in the end even though it takes a long time. I'm fine, I get through each week as it comes. Hope this reply doesn't read like a sob story, that's not my intention, I'm not that type of guy. Don't worry, I'll get there in the end :).

Kinetic Shapes
03-12-2016, 04:00 AM
Maybe you start your own business and create the work for you. Not easy but might be a viable option.

Spinland
03-12-2016, 04:30 AM
Maybe you start your own business and create the work for you. Not easy but might be a viable option.

I endorse this idea. No idea what the government snarl you'd have to deal with there is like but New York is fairly horrible for intrusive government regulations and I still managed to wade through them and start my own Studio. It's a slog, and sometimes financially stressing (especially at first) but one of my mantras is if you can't find a job then try to create one for yourself.

Far, far from an "easy button" but it's an idea. You sound quite gifted with talent and ability, from that aspect I think you could make a go of it.

erikals
03-12-2016, 06:18 AM
i often advise people to get a less fun 70% position, just to cover bills,
then work 30% from home freelancing

you can also work in your spare time

this is nice as 30%+ of the time you can do absolutely whatever you want,
you're the boss(!)

quick start >
https://www.freelancer.com/jobs/Graphic-Design/1
but there are many other ways / sites

just remember... don't work for a dime.

Norka
03-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Paul, write a three.js (WebGL) LW exporter plug and I will be first in line, and pay damn good money for this. It has to support all of the same stuff that the Blender three.js exporter has... I will not hold my breath on this. But seriously, writing some (commercial) LW plugs could be lucrative...

Spinland
03-12-2016, 07:03 AM
just remember... don't work for a dime.

Abso-damn-lately. That's my biggest problem with sites like freelancer.com: people willing to work for next to nothing drive the market down to where it's not even worth having an account there. Potential clients have become used to paying a pittance and if your rates are realistic they pass you right by. Commoditizing creative work is a terrible thing for everyone.

IMNSDHO it's far better to network the old fashioned way, slowly build up a class of people who know and respect you and what you do, and leverage that into paying gigs at rates that are sustainable. It is, as I said, a slog, and results come slowly, but the trend is always a positive one. You just need to be able to support yourself somehow while you build.

Snosrap
03-12-2016, 10:52 AM
but it is tough to be 40 years old and can't get work, and an income, anywhere.

40 isn't old! I wish I was forty again. :) Must be your location as around here (Ohio) IT is still in good demand.

Paul_Boland
03-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. There's a snag in Ireland about going the self employed route that stops me from pursuing it commercially. I try with my software development and my books. Got a new book just finished and it's undergoing editing. I should be ready to submit it to publishers in the next week or so and hopefully some publisher will like it and snap it up off me! I agree with Snosrap, you would think graduating in I.T. I'd be able to find work easily and yet I might as well have graduated in basket weaving for all the good it's done me. It's the most craziest situation I've ever heard of!! As I said, I'm pursuing some new options at the moment in regards to my future, we'll see where life's path leads me...

Spinland
03-13-2016, 04:43 AM
Keep us posted, Paul! Good people can never be kept down for too long, not so long as they keep pushing.

ianr
03-13-2016, 07:25 AM
3rd Powers Bundle is BACK .
It's up & time if you are considering get it now.
A great plugins set to take us towards LW2016

jasonwestmas
03-13-2016, 09:33 AM
3rd Powers Bundle is BACK .
It's up & time if you are considering get it now.
A great plugins set to take us towards LW2016

It's actually a Lightwave 2015 + 3rdPowers bundle and you have to buy a brand new license I believe.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave-3rd-powers/

pinkmouse
03-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Yup, the upgrade tab still takes you the the "production suite" bundle.

Spinland
03-13-2016, 11:38 AM
I emailed 3rd Powers and asked nicely and they sent me a link to get the bundle of all six plugins at a rather nice discount.

jeric_synergy
03-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Aughgh! So many hands in my wallet! (In a good/bad way.)

Every time I watch that Metamesh video my spendy-finger starts itching.....

Spinland
03-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Heh. Heard that. Still fairly flush from the last big gig but at the rate I'm adding new toys this past week I'd better stop playing and work on landing the next gig before I burn through my war chest. :D

jeric_synergy
03-13-2016, 05:53 PM
And I just dropped another, unexpected, C-note on the power supply for my new card to bring my rig up to VR stats....oy!....

Really got to get over the agoraphobia and get some work.

Paul_Boland
03-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Question... Right now, when I log into my Lightwave account and press the Buy Upgrade To Lightwave 2015 button, the purchase is for Lightwave 2015, ChronoSculpt, and NevronMotion, for the total price of €450.18. Is it possible to just buy the Lightwave 2015 upgrade without ChronoSculpt and NevronMotion (as I don't think I'll ever use them) and get just the Lightwave 2015 at a bit of a discount?

Yes, I'm clutching at straws here but no harm in asking ;).

jeric_synergy
03-15-2016, 09:13 PM
My guess: no, CS and NM were essentially gifts. Maybe one of the staffers can intercede for you.

Paul_Boland
03-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Hehehe... I kind of thought so. No worries.

jeric_synergy
03-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Hehehe... I kind of thought so. No worries.
Still worth a shot: due to your "service to the community".

Surrealist.
03-15-2016, 11:12 PM
I say contact them. It can not hurt to ask. :)

Greenlaw
03-16-2016, 02:50 PM
For me, the biggest reason to upgrade to 2015 is for the enhancements in Bullet and Spline Animation. Without these, I don't know how I would have completed some of my fx and animation assignments in the given time and budget constraints. 2015 has been a real sanity saver for me. A lot of the UI improvements in Layout and Modeler have been welcome too.

Since you're coming from 10, all of this will be new and improved for you. VPR has seen a lot of improvements and new capabilities too, and, IMO, it is way more useful now than it was back in version 10.

For me, 2015 has been reasonably stable, but depending on your hardware/software setup, mileage may vary of course.

G.

Snosrap
03-16-2016, 05:44 PM
The camera matching tools are top notch too.

Paul_Boland
03-16-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm definitely committed to the upgrade, just need to get my funding sorted. I see a new offer is available, brings the price down to €436.65. I'll try and work a miracle over the weekend. Have a good one, folks!! :)

Spinland
03-16-2016, 06:40 PM
The camera matching tools are top notch too.

Oh, so much yes. I'm starting to get a foothold in the local indie film community and I don't know how I ever managed compositing work the "old way." IMNSDHO the 2015 edition of LW has brought so damned much to the table.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm definitely committed to the upgrade, just need to get my funding sorted. I see a new offer is available, brings the price down to €436.65. I'll try and work a miracle over the weekend. Have a good one, folks!! :)

For whatever it's worth, I'm toasting your success with a dram of Old Pulteney right now. World class single malt has to have some sort of power.

jeric_synergy
03-17-2016, 01:03 AM
Huh, I haven't even looked at the camera matching.... I was under the (mis?)understanding it was mostly a still deal?

I really OUGHT to know...

Marander
03-17-2016, 02:20 AM
LW3DG just started another sale (which is exactly the same as before just with a different name). Therefore I don't think you have to hurry getting the 2015 license and it will still take time for LW Next to release.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/promotions/add_a_seat_promo/

erikals
03-17-2016, 04:14 AM
Huh, I haven't even looked at the camera matching....

40 sec into video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9oq1m33bzU

Norka
03-17-2016, 07:29 AM
Last week I finally pulled the trigger on 3rdPwrs LWBrush, MetaMesh and HeatShrinkPlus. Wow! Yeah, these are worth $287 total. I will not need ZB nearly as much. And the guides are written in excellent English. I'm thrilled.

jeric_synergy
03-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Last week I finally pulled the trigger on 3rdPwrs LWBrush, MetaMesh and HeatShrinkPlus. Wow! Yeah, these are worth $287 total. I will not need ZB nearly as much. And the guides are written in excellent English. I'm thrilled.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AND, they periodically come out with small improvements, a development style I HEARTILY approve of. Small, continuous improvements, hurrah!

ianr
03-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Modella LURV, U 'all !

All good Stuff by 3dPowers

Greenlaw
03-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Huh, I haven't even looked at the camera matching.... I was under the (mis?)understanding it was mostly a still deal?

I really OUGHT to know...

It works for lock-off shots but it's accurate and very easy to use--literally less than a minute to set up a scene with it. I used it often on a couple of features a while back and it may have saved me a couple hours of work since I didn't have any script notes available. For moving camera scenes you still need a 3D tracker like SynthEyes or AE's native 3D Camera Tracker or the Mocha Plus plugin.

Paul_Boland
03-17-2016, 01:19 PM
For whatever it's worth, I'm toasting your success with a dram of Old Pulteney right now. World class single malt has to have some sort of power.

LOL!! Cheers :)!!

Paul_Boland
03-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Hi Folks.

Thanks for so much kind feedback on this topic, got to admit some of the replies here really bowled me over and weren't what I expected at all when I made the original post. Just a small update... Had a small family matter today and well, family comes first, so all my savings have been wiped out, I'm back at €0.00. I WILL make the upgrade but it's going to take me a while to save up again. Don't worry, I'm a good saver :). Thanks again, have a great weekend!!

Paul.

spherical
03-19-2016, 12:22 AM
Well that sucks. Hope everyone is OK.

Paul_Boland
03-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Well that sucks. Hope everyone is OK.

Thanks, Spherical. It wasn't a medical matter, it was just a family matter that arose and funds were needed so I chipped in. I appreciate the concern though, thank you.

spherical
03-19-2016, 02:19 PM
You're a good person, Paul. Perhaps we may have a pint together one day.

Paul_Boland
03-22-2016, 02:32 PM
I just made the upgrade now to Lightwave 2015 :)!!! My family gave me the funds to get it!! I'm delighted!! It's installed and ready to go. I have a whole new world of physics to explore now... ;)

hrgiger
03-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Congrats Paul.

Snosrap
03-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Have fun!!!

spherical
03-22-2016, 03:59 PM
I just made the upgrade now to Lightwave 2015 :)!!! My family gave me the funds to get it!! I'm delighted!! It's installed and ready to go. I have a whole new world of physics to explore now... ;)

Family does come first. :) Warms my heart.

CaptainMarlowe
03-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Great News. Have fun !

Paul_Boland
03-22-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks!!

Spinland
03-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Awesome news, congrats! :D